Movies Alien vs. Blade Runner vs. Gladiator - Which of these Ridley Scott films is the best?

What's your pick?

• Total voters
Blade Runner
The Duelists
Alien

Sadly Blade Runner flopping killed off "Auteur Ridley", I spose you could argue Legend but after that I think he's really more a very skilled gun for hire director, plenty of good films but nothing on the level of the early work.

Last edited:
Gladiator
It's crazy to Me how many people overrate alien

You have to look at what came before it which was similar. Nothing.

Alien was an absolute original. It spawned numerous clones and pretty much ushered in a new subcategory of film.

The blueprints for gladiator were already there. Think Spartacus.

Now between bladerunner and alien, I'd still pick alien.

Bladerunner has a broader scope, there's so much going on in the background you could watch it multiple times and get more out of it. It's a beautifully crafted film for any time. The thing with alien though is how it makes you feel.

When I watch movies I grade it by how it moves me emotionally and alien has a way of playing with your emotions extremely well. You are purely invested in not only the surroundings, but the characters, sounds, everything. It is a truly visceral experience.

Alien was a game changer, no doubt.

The fact that Ridley basically pulled it all off in a small spaceship and still made it look glorious is that much more amazing. As a true film experience, alien wins in my books. I'm sure the artsy types will pick bladerunner.

I haven't seen Blade Runner in a long, long time and it didn't leave much of a lasting impression. I also thought Gladiator was total ass. I just don't get the charm it has over so many people. Maybe it was bad timing for me to watch or something. So Alien it is.
<BidenShutIt>

Ridley Scott can film the unfilmmable and I think people tend to gloss over that. His grasp of spectacle combines the real and the evocative simultaneously.

Alien terrified me as a kid. And I loved it. Generally, I don't like horror movies, but alien tricked me into it.
Blade Runner was a beautiful film, but just a shade less somehow.
@Bubzeh mentioned Black Hawk Down and I can support that. That film was a realistic, affective look at war, showing the brutality and the nobility of the common soldier.

You have to look at what came before it which was similar. Nothing.

Alien was an absolute original. It spawned numerous clones and pretty much ushered in a new subcategory of film.

The blueprints for gladiator were already there. Think Spartacus.

Now between bladerunner and alien, I'd still pick alien.

Bladerunner has a broader scope, there's so much going on in the background you could watch it multiple times and get more out of it. It's a beautifully crafted film for any time. The thing with alien though is how it makes you feel.

When I watch movies I grade it by how it moves me emotionally and alien has a way of playing with your emotions extremely well. You are purely invested in not only the surroundings, but the characters, sounds, everything. It is a truly visceral experience.

Alien was a game changer, no doubt.

The fact that Ridley basically pulled it all off in a small spaceship and still made it look glorious is that much more amazing. As a true film experience, alien wins in my books. I'm sure the artsy types will pick bladerunner.
it was a good film just a bit overrated but I feel u

Gladiator is my fav movie, so easy choice here

If your talking underrated Scott films I would mention Matchstick Men, Cage and Rockwell in very good form as con artists plus better visually than your typical thriller.

I love sci-fi movies and I love AI and all that shit but man bladerunner knows how to take that topic and make it boring as fuck. Those movies as much as I try to like them are just not for me.

Gladiator
Alien
Bladerunner

I haven't seen Gladiator in a while might watch it tonight.
This.

Alien
Blade Runner
Gladiator

Alien by no small margin for me.

If your talking underrated Scott films I would mention Matchstick Men, Cage and Rockwell in very good form as con artists plus better visually than your typical thriller.

Underrated Ridley Scott award goes to Black Rain for me.

Alien by a lot. Also, gladiator sucked.

Underrated Ridley Scott award goes to Black Rain for me.
Distinct-Likely-Abyssiniancat-size-restricted.gif

THE COUNSELOR would have been better received if there was one -- ONE -- sympathetic character in the bunch.

And if Rihanna was cast instead of Cameron Diaz.
YQy4.gif

Of these movies, Alien by far. It's got the best story, pacing, look. Mainly what makes Alien the best is the pacing and unfolding mystery.

Back