Ali vs Tyson Fury

Ali in his prime was about 210lbs and not a heavy hitter like Wilder. So you would have a:

6-3 210lbs/ 78in reach
6-9 250lbs/ 86in reach

Fury has 6 inches, 40lbs, 8in reach

That is too much size for someone who isn't a power puncher like Ali. BUT Fury would have to increase his output or he will lose the decision. Ali lands a few more punches per round throughout his career which would have to change for Fury to get the nod.

Almost the exact size difference in McCline v Byrd. I think it was 5 inches height, 8 in reach and about 55 pounds. Byrd, by no means a power puncher, got the W in a close decision, after getting floored.

Fury is better than McCline, but I don’t think anyone would argue Byrd over Ali. (I hope).

Almost the exact size difference in McCline v Byrd. I think it was 5 inches height, 8 in reach and about 55 pounds. Byrd, by no means a power puncher, got the W in a close decision, after getting floored.

Fury is better than McCline, but I don’t think anyone would argue Byrd over Ali. (I hope).

I was not saying the advantages mean it is a sure win, but they ARE advantages. The heavyweight division is unique in that guys can end up with 40lbs of extra weight coming at them all night.

Fury's body of work is miniscule compared to Ali's that is for sure. Although I don't know how the older smaller guys would hang with the bigger new heavyweights that doesn't mean I think they are lb 4 lb better.

Different eras so it's hard to compare. Boxers today are better than the boxers in the past, the sport has evolved

Fury seems like a bad match up for Ali. He's one of the few HWs that can move like Ali and he's much bigger and has a big reach advantage. Fury might lose to a prime Lewis, Foreman and Tyson but Ali wasn't known for big punching power and I think Fury would get the decision more often than not against Ali.

Fury fought 2 fights against legit comp. 1 was most boring fight in history n the other against a person who could punch hard but little in ring skill or IQ.

Only total Ingits say Fury wins

people really think that furys chacnes are good?
giphy.gif

Holyfield should have beat Valuev. That fight result always pissed me off...

Are you being serious, or joking?

Ali never gets hit with that punch (or any punches from Wilder, really) and beats Wilder mercilessly for a few rounds until he stops him, so not the best argument, IMO.

He also beats Fury easily, via the same. Not getting hit and hitting Fury at will. Though Fury likely survives longer than Wilder by several rounds, he too gets stopped by Ali. 100/100 times.
Boxings evolved since then mate, wilder throws looping punches when he gets shaken but his jab is great and his right hands are always well set up. Ali’s great but a young version of him would not be competetive against todays heavyweighys.

Yea I know, Sonny Liston hit 5x as hard as Joshua, and Earnie Shavers hit about 12x as hard.

Dat nostalgic superpower... Always consider dat nostalgic superpower.
Yea.

Depends on what they mean by power. Joshua could ko someone with a stiff jab.

I couldnt bring myself to say Fury, it feels wrong. I'd have to assume Ali would find a way more often than not, but Its just hard to picture how a lot of guys would do vs Fury because he is pretty much an anomaly as far as his combination of physical attributes and technical ability.

Boxings evolved since then mate, wilder throws looping punches when he gets shaken but his jab is great and his right hands are always well set up. Ali’s great but a young version of him would not be competetive against todays heavyweighys.

Strange. I think 1963 Liston would beat every single one of them. It's not even a question for me. A given.
<Fedor23>

Evolved? LOL

It's true that most sport evolve, but boxing is an exception. It's devloved, especially at HW.

Back