Alexis Davis Vs Ronda Rousey

I just don`t see how she fends off Ronda indefinitely...

Best chance would be to damage Ronda's legs enough with kicks to take away some of the super-strength, but she'd have to stay in striking range to do that so yeah it's a long shot.

Best chance would be to damage Ronda's legs enough with kicks to take away some of the super-strength, but she'd have to stay in striking range to do that so yeah it's a long shot.

This is a great point! Alexis has slowed down a lot of her opponents with those leg kicks, including Shayna Basler, who has won 13 of her fights by submission; Alexis' leg kicks stopped Shayna from attempting submissions in their fights.

I agree that Alexis has skills that could frustrate Ronda to a certain degree; I don`t think Ronda will be able to throw her and armbar as easily as past opponents. But, it`s a five round fight, and we have yet to see Ronda show any signs of fatigue. She`s a machine. I can see Alexis taking the fight into the 2nd round or maybe the 3rd, but I just don`t see how she fends off Ronda indefinitely...I guess what I`m saying is: I don`t see how Alexis wins.

Jarl

She has to catch her in a heel hook like she did Bayzler, maybe catch a triangle off her back, and/or outpoint her when they are standing.

Alexis has about as much quit in her as Rousey, so she might be able to hold on longer than Tate. She's definitely got better subs and striking than Tate, but you're right in that she doesn't have the explosiveness of a Rousey, Tate, or McMann.

Then again ppl think that Weidman is slow and unathletic with no explosiveness, and he's not the worst fighter in the world. Heck, even Cain doesn't seem to be that explosive.

Edge to Rousey of course but Davis is the second best in the division imo. She just needs to work on her fight IQ

Let's see how this rushing forward strategy works against a 4th dan black belt in Judo.

Miesha was rushing in to take Ronda down which is why she got tossed to the ground by Ronda; Alexis was striking with Hitomi and then took her down when she was in range.

Miesha was rushing in to take Ronda down which is why she got tossed to the ground by Ronda; Alexis was striking with Hitomi and then took her down when she was in range.

Look at both take down attempts. Not going to happen with Ronda. Davis better have another strategy because she's not going to win the leverage battle.

0-35572

I give Davis a slight advantage in submissions but because Ronda is a judoka she's been training submissions most of her life. Most people don't know BJJ is derived from judo. It just puts more emphasis in the submissions rather than the throws.

no disrespect op, but i just don't think davis has much to offer in her offensive and defensive skills to seriously challenge rousey. at best, davis makes it through the first round and survives.

however, davis will begin to fatigue as the fight progresses to the second round and rousey is just ferocious on the mat with her grappling. once rousey isolates davis' left arm, this will be the beginning of the end for davis as rousey initiates the juji gatame.

Look at both take down attempts. Not going to happen with Ronda. Davis better have another strategy because she's not going to win the leverage battle.

I just looked at them again; I could be wrong, but I think when Alexis got close to Hitomi by the cage, Alexis took her down because Hitomi put her arm around her. I don't think Alexis intended to take down Hitomi, but she saw she had the opportunity to when Hitomi put her arm around her. Of course, that's just what it looks like to me; I could be wrong.

I think Alexis' strategy is going to be to throw leg kicks at Ronda and she'll probably try to strike with her, but if the fight does go to the ground, it would be better for Alexis because she can do more submissions than Ronda. Most of the time, Ronda always goes for the arm bar on the ground, whereas Alexis will try any submission when she gets the opportunity to use them.

Last edited:
I just looked at them again; I could be wrong, but I think when Alexis got close to Hitomi by the cage, Alexis took her down because Hitomi put her arm around her. I don't think Alexis intended to take Hitomi, but she saw she had the opportunity to when Hitomi put her arm around her. Of course, that's just what it looks like to me; I could be wrong.

My point is running towards someone highly trained in judo is a huge mistake. 9 times out of 10 you're going to get tossed and then what? End it up on your back trying to defend a quick submission.

In Olympic judo you only have a couple of seconds to hit a submission before the ref stands up the fighters. That's why Ronda is so quick to get it. Davis needs to out box Ronda, throw some low kicks and try to stay on her feet on the outside. This is a bad match up for Davis. Her BJJ won't come into play.

no disrespect op, but i just don't think davis has much to offer in her offensive and defensive skills to seriously challenge rousey. at best, davis makes it through the first round and survives.

however, davis will begin to fatigue as the fight progresses to the second round and rousey is just ferocious on the mat with her grappling. once rousey isolates davis' left arm, this will be the beginning of the end for davis as rousey initiates the juji gatame.

Alexis has TKO'd Amanda Nunes, which is very impressive! Amanda is a beast and she KO'd Julia Budd in less than 15 seconds, so I was shocked when Alexis TKO'd her. Alexis has never been submitted before and she slows her opponents down with her legs kicks, so I'd say she does have the offensive and defensive skills to challenge Ronda, in my opinion.

Alexis used to have trouble with her stamina before, but after her second fight with Shayna Baszler, she doesn't seem to be fatigued in her fight. Ronda's stamina is questionable because she has only been taken past the first round once and Miesha had the worst game plan I've ever seen, which made it even easier for Ronda to beat her. Alexis sounds pretty confident that she will stop Ronda's arm bar, so we will have to see about that.

Alexis has TKO'd Amanda Nunes, which is very impressive! Amanda is a beast and she KO'd Julia Budd in less than 15 seconds, so I was shocked when Alexis TKO'd her. Alexis has never been submitted before and she slows her opponents down with her legs kicks, so I'd say she does have the offensive and defensive skills to challenge Ronda, in my opinion.

Alexis used to have trouble with her stamina before, but after her second fight with Shayna Baszler, she doesn't seem to be fatigued in her fight. Ronda's stamina is questionable because she has only been taken past the first round once and Miesha had the worst game plan I've ever seen, which made it even easier for Ronda to beat her. Alexis sounds pretty confident that she will stop Ronda's arm bar, so we will have to see about that.

Deja vu all over again :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I think I'll tweet her that she has to be careful of RR knees as well :icon_chee

Lol Tate's plan was garbagge ? WTF are you talking about ? Didn't you hear the infamous " She's already breaking , Miesha " after R1 ?

Amanda Nunes is a beast , and I think she be the division's dark horse. Freakish power. WAR Lioness

My point is running towards someone highly trained in judo is a huge mistake. 9 times out of 10 you're going to get tossed and then what? End it up on your back trying to defend a quick submission.

In Olympic judo you only have a couple of seconds to hit a submission before the ref stands up the fighters. That's why Ronda is so quick to get it. Davis needs to out box Ronda, throw some low kicks and try to stay on her feet on the outside. This is a bad match up for Davis. Her BJJ won't come into play.

It looked more to me like Hitomi was the one who was running towards Alexis and then she backed up after Alexis tripped her.

I'm sure Alexis will try to outbox Ronda, since she tried to outbox Sarah Kaufman and Amanda Nunes. LOL Her leg kicks will be essential if she wants to beat Ronda. I actually think this is a bad match up for Ronda because Alexis is just as good as her at submissions.

Back