Alexander Gustafsson's next opponent

He needs to prove himself against a wrestler and I want Hendo to get a shot, if he beats the dragon, because he's getting old.

Rashad would be fun to watch, I don't like him but I respect his skills..

The only problem is whoever wins, people are going to say "Oh well *pick the loser of the fight* was untested and this isnt a big win"

depends on the way the fight ends (decision), however i see this happening too

rashad would be a good test - if gus gets past him - rock and roll.

This. In pretty much every division the top contender has done less than what alex has done. Dodson won like 2 fights. Okami had 4 iirc. Mir was not on a huge streak. Alex has done enough and would be a fresh challenge.

Hendo desereves it equally, if not more imo. Beating Babalu, Feijao, Fedor and Shogun should suffice for a title shot.

Rashad is the ultimate test for any LHW imo, whoever can beat him deserves a go at Jones there's no doubt. Not sure if Gus is up to him to be honest.

agree totally. infact posted this yesterday in another thread.

Hendo desereves it equally, if not more imo. Beating Babalu, Feijao, Fedor and Shogun should suffice for a title shot.

Which is true. But the whole fiasco with him getting injured and having his fight scrapped probably did not help.

I agree with a lot of people and Rashad Evans makes the most sense. I think Gus' hype train would be derailed though unfortunately.

If Rashad is able to stop Lil Nog or beat him for 3 rounds without taking much damage, it would be a perfect fight for a May card.

I agree with a lot of people and Rashad Evans makes the most sense. I think Gus' hype train would be derailed though unfortunately.
The only thing that speaks against it is like you say the fact that Evans might just derail the Gus hype-train. And I don't think UFC wants that.

But seeing him against anything less than Hendo, Evans or Machida would just be a bit of a loss/loss situation for him. Even if he win against lets say Mousasi he wont be closer to a title fight than he was before if we ignore the fact that the time table will fit better. People will just turn on Mousasi instead, same goes for Glover. Not to mention that it would derail at at least one hype train, which is something I think they will try to avoid.

And lil nog for example is for sure a level below him. I don't really see who we still got in the mix with that being said. Sure, rematch with Phil Davis could boost him a bit, but we all know that wont happen.

Last edited:
The only thing that speaks against it is like you say the fact that Evans might just derail the gus hype-train. And I don't think UFC wants that.

But seeing him against anything less than Hendo, Evans or Machida would just be a bit of a loss/loss situation for him.

eh. i think gustafsson has an excellent chance of putting rashad away. this isn't going to be hollywood rampage, 4 weeks notice tito, or zero striking ability davis; gustafsson could, and would, hurt evans if the fight gets made.

eh. i think gustafsson has an excellent chance of putting rashad away. this isn't going to be hollywood rampage, 4 weeks notice tito, or zero striking ability davis; gustafsson could, and would, hurt evans if the fight gets made.
I simply think that Evans is the most dangerous opponent for gus except JJ. But yeah I agree, gustafsson could beat him for sure. Pretty even matchup imo. But are they willing to take that gamble when gus already have proved himself for title shot? I mean if gus would lose they would have to throw rematches at JJ nobody are intrested in really.

Yeah, it would suck if Rashad were to beat Gus.

I simply think that Evans is the most dangerous opponent for gus except JJ. But yeah I agree, gustafsson could beat him for sure. Pretty even matchup imo. But are they willing to take that gamble when gus already have proved himself for title shot? I mean if gus would lose they would have to throw rematches at JJ nobody are intrested in really.

that's a good point. i'm just not convinced that an evans win over gustfsson is a foregone conclusion like a lot of other people seem to.

The way I see it is: If Hendo wins he will get the titleshot, Machida is a more like 50/50. So one of them fight Jones in like August? Meaning Gus can fight Jones in like December. Gus needs at least one fight to stay active. Give him Mousasi (can't see Gus lose this) and build his record and maybe one more fight after Mousasi depending on timing and stuff. If he's got 8 straight wins when he fights Jones it will a epic hype.
WAR GUS!

Like many people here I'll say Gus needs to prove himself againsg good wrestler before fighing Jones.

By mid-summer options will be plentiful:
- Rashad
- Sonnen
- Cormier
And, winning against any of them, Gus guarantees himself a title shot.

If he really wants to fight in spring, I think Phil Davis is the only option - if Gus wins he "avenges his only loss and is ready to take the belt" - would be good for selling hype.

And I really hope that this time love of money will help UFC to do the stuff the most sportslike way:
- Jones obliterates Sonnen
- Machida-Hendo winner gets the title shot for late summer
- if Cormier wins over Mir, he fights Gus for first contender status, if he loses, it is Rashad-Gus for first contender
- LHW champion fights Cormier/Gus/Rashad late in autumn or early in winter.

Who should he face next?

As he said, he wants to fight before the summer.

Winner of Rampage/Texeira if it's a quick KO or SUB?

Winner of Rashad/Lil Nog?

The original match up should have been Rashad/Gustaffson. Like others have said, if he can't beat Rashad then a fight with Jones is pointless.

that's a good point. i'm just not convinced that an evans win over gustfsson is a foregone conclusion like a lot of other people seem to.

Me neither I think Gus would beat him

Im thinking Glover if he wins......make that fight for May and a #1 contenders bout. There is the option of Rashad/Rogerio to fight Gus....but I think the winner of that bout should fight Shogun

Back