Alexander Gustafsson vs JDS

Tough fight for Gus. It's not improbable that he could utilize his footwork to stay away from JDS power, although I believe that JDS would land his overhand right at some point in the fight.

Tough fight for Gus. It's not improbable that he could utilize his footwork to stay away from JDS power, although I believe that JDS would land his overhand right at some point in the fight.

XcRuWl6.gif

I think it's a pretty even matchup, but JDS would definitely be the favourite.

JDS has a heavier base, more power and a great chin, but he fades in later rounds, sometimes big.

Gustafsson has better footwork and angles, but less power and and is lighter. It's hard to say that JDS has a better chin, because Gustafsson has taken bombs and not gotten dropped.

Gustafsson is better with trips and in the clinch, but again, he is not as heavy and probably not as strong as JDS.

I see a hard fought decision win for JDS if he fights from the outside. If he takes it to Gustafsson and can walk him down, he might get the stoppage. That is hard if Gustafsson uses his footwork and fights like he did in the Jones fight though.

Fades in later rounds. He was still stuffing takedowns from Cain in the 5th and yes he faded but your telling me GUS wouldn't fade if Cain was on his ass for 25 minutes. Gus wouldn't make it that far with Cain but point is he would be gassed too. And Roy Nelson do you know how many punches JDS threw in that fight and carwin

Its a toss up to be honest. Theres not as much difference between HW and LHW as you think, especially one of the biggest LHW's and a decent sized HW. Its not a huge difference, like say a LW fighting a MW

No No No! I guarantee you there is a huge difference in power and strength from LHW to HW than MW to HW. If you think there is the same difference between belcher to rashad or Weidman to gustaffson that there is from shogun to jds or jones to hunt you are insane

So now Shogun who people say needs to go to 185 hits as hard as dos santos. Dude physically speaking dos santos and shogun are completely different. You proved nothing

What are you talking about? The guy said he believed JDS would land his right hand at some point, so I posted a gif of Shogun (who obviously can't hit with nearly the speed or power of JDS) landing a right hand meaning JDS would as well.

What are you talking about? The guy said he believed JDS would land his right hand at some point, so I posted a gif of Shogun (who obviously can't hit with nearly the speed or power of JDS) landing a right hand meaning JDS would as well.

oh well not the best gif because it's an exchange where Gustaffson got the better of Shogun making it look like you were saying he would get the better of JDS. When proving a point with a gif post a dominant one lol

I agree. I like Gus a lot and in my eyes, he's the true LHW champion, but if Shogun can lay his hands on him, JDS easily could as well.

I think JDS would beat him.

This thread was alright until the new Gus fanboys showed up. JDS via KO.

Good post.
It's not often you actually see posters breaking stuff down reasonably and objectively.

Makes a nice change from the constant idiotic hyperbole

Thanks man. Just a quick summary.

Fades in later rounds. He was still stuffing takedowns from Cain in the 5th and yes he faded but your telling me GUS wouldn't fade if Cain was on his ass for 25 minutes. Gus wouldn't make it that far with Cain but point is he would be gassed too. And Roy Nelson do you know how many punches JDS threw in that fight and carwin

Gus would definitely get tired stuffing Cain's takedowns as well. I think any fighter would, especially over 5 rounds. That's not what I'm basing my assumption on though. It was mostly his heart and the fact that Cain got tired himself, that got JDS through that fight.

As I recall it, JDS got a huge dump very early in the fight, but that might have been nerves. However, it's not just that. In most of his fights, he slows rather significantly. Against Nelson, against Carwin, against Mirko as you mentioned. Basicly any fight going into the third he is very tired. Same can be said of the sparring videos I've seen from him. Which is understandable, as he throws with power and a lot of output, and he's a HW.

I think Gus has better cardio, but their stamina is probably equal. Both are tough sobs.

so many dumbasses on this board these days. If they fought at a catch weight (weighed the same) jds would only have a slight power advantage and gus's boxing is cleaner with better defende. It would be an awesome war that any striking fan should be stoked to see. I'd pick jds but it would not be surprising for gus to take it.

this!

Gustafsson has more technical boxing and faster hand speed, as well as a clear advantage in reach and footwork.

Both have very good TDD, Gustafsson has displayed better finishing capabilities on the ground however.

Some HWs are tailored not to pose an impossible challenge to a big LHW, like some of the fights you'd see in PRIDE. JDS is a nightmare matchup for anyone at LHW. It's not even because of his spot in the HW rankings that I say that, it's his skillset. He'd practically bury Gustafsson. Gustafsson would last longer against Cain, from what I can tell.

Back