Alexander Gustafsson planning UFC comeback

Mentally weak Gus should stay retired. It's only a matter of time before he gets his shit pushed in again and cries in the Octagon about it being his last one.

Always been a big fan of him but unless something major has changed since his last few fights he should stay retired.

He's done unfortunately. Done competing at the highest level at least. Not looking forward to seeing up and comers KOing him if he sticks around for a few more fights.

A shame because people will continue to devalue how good he was in his prime. It's clear he is dealing with some sort of groin/hip problems still, not sure what, seems very secret about it plus he had his collarbone literally rip off the bone a couple of years ago and i'm not sure you are coming back after that.

6a00d8341bf8f353ef019aff8bb821970b-pi

According to a report from Swedish news outlet MMA NYTT...

“It’s just a matter of time before Alexander Gustafsson returns to the UFC. He’s training hard at the gym. There’s a few things that need to be sorted out before a new fight can be booked, but the returns is on it’s way – it’s just a question of when,” a reliable source, close to Gustafsson told our sister site MMAnytt.se.''

https://www.mmanytt.com/latest-news/sources-alexander-gustafsson-planning-ufc-comeback/

There's rumours, also stated in the article, that he will do basically his whole camp in the states. Not surprising, since even his own coach said that he grew to comfortable in the allstars gym. If true, then I'm positive about a comeback. If not true, stay retired ffs.

Gus is the guy that will say that he retires because he wants to spend more time with his family and all that crap only to (in the same freakin sentence) says that lihe basically hasnt lost a step and basically lives in the gym and is getting better every day.

I'll acknowledge both the good and the bad.

Sure, his main deal is having great performances against Jones and DC.
You can't just say "LOL, his only great performances were his losses" though.
First of all: if you have one of those performances you can dismiss it as a fluke - but when you have two - it has to count for something.

Secondly:
Gus had some good performances besides Jones 1 and DC.
* Beat Shogun less than 2 years after he lost the title
* Beautiful win over Glover. Who is a bit underrated. Glover has gone 4-1 after. And before was also 4-1. Among those 8 wins you've got a large part of the lower-end top10 guys like OSP, Cummins, Cirkunov, Krylov, Cannonier.
* Beat Manuwa who was 14-0 at the time and would go on to beat Blachowicz, OSP and Corey Anderson (before eventually going on a major KO losing streak, sure. but still)
* Blachowicz is a decent win. Hasn't been thought of as much before but is now 6-1 in his last 7

But Gus has had big problems too
* Constant motivation issues
* Fucked up with a sloppy kick against Rumble and was demolished
* Lost embarrassingly easy to Smith
* Lost too easily in Jones 2
* Has not really evolved much. Still no significant kicking game. Questionable ground defense. After he took down Jones and DC a few times and beat Blachowicz on the ground people thought his ground game had become a force to be reckoned with, but his lats 2 fights prove otherwise. In the Blachowicz fight he found himself outmatched in striking and was forced to change the gameplan and go to the ground. It probably wasn't the plan. (+1 for being able to change gampeplans, but -1 for having inconsistent striking)

Combining the upsides and downsides I still think he's one of the better LHWs of the latest era.
Jones and DC are a tier above everyone else.
But among the rest Gus is one of the better. He's got many negatives - but so does everyone else.

(I think we should not judge newcomers like Santos and Reyes yet. Give them a few more fights before we put them into comparisons with guys who've been at the LHW top 10 for the past 5 years. They might look good right now, but if they get smashed in their next fights they'll end up having a worse reputation than Gus)
Most overrated LHW had some good moments against Jones&DC and that was the biggest shine moments he anchieved in his ufc carrer.
I think he's appropriately rated now after bad losses in the Smith and Jones II fights.

Before those fights som fans might have overrated him. But now the hype has calmed down significantly.

I'd argue he's still good. Many forget his wins over Shogun, Glover, Manuwa, Blachowicz - to me those combined with those Jones and DC performances counts for something, even if it's not close to "great".

I feel like most fans nowadays know that Gus is the type of guy who can is capable of performing close to the very elite-levels on his best days, but on his worst days he can also lose badly - so he's not consistent enough to reach true greatness. But can still go far for a short time.

Last edited:
He really needs to change camp man that bullshit swedish gym full of manlets won't lead him anywhere!

With Jimi Manuwa wanting to come back, they could rematch Gus with him. Loser retires for good. :D

Cool.

Although his biggest ćlaim to fame - almost beating Jones - really doesn't look cool anymore, as he got finished in the rematch and Santos and Reyes did what he did by almost beating Jones.
Nothing more can really be said on the subject.

What a diva. He said before the Anthony Smith fight that if he can't beat a guy like Smith, he needs to retire. Well, he got subbed against a guy who isn't known for having a great submission game and then it seemed like he was staying true to his word and retired.

Now he wants to come back. These late career "comebacks" seemingly never work well for MMA fighters.

He's likely broke and needs the money. He once said that opening a night club was "being smart with his money"....

Gus is the guy that will say that he retires because he wants to spend more time with his family and all that crap only to (in the same freakin sentence) says that lihe basically hasnt lost a step and basically lives in the gym and is getting better every day.

Lol sounds like every MMA fighter ever. Pretty accurate.

Volkan vs Gus to headline a Euro FN card.

He´s ma boy and all, but...

giphy.gif

He's likely broke and needs the money. He once said that opening a night club was "being smart with his money"....

Total Career Earnings: $1,498,000

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/28/alexander-gustafsson-career-earnings-fox11/amp/

Read on a Swedish Page that he got like 1 Million Dollar (PPV) for the Jones Rematch. What the Fuck are they doing with the Money?

Just buy some Real Estate and open up a Gym and be a fucking Coach for the rest of you Life.

Back