Alexander Gustafsson on Jon Jones: "I feel sorry for him" (+ fight w/ Rumble)

Puss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Interesting interview with Gus in a swedish newspaper.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/kampsport/mma/article20198019.ab

The situation with Jones:

Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine the last fall.
- It's deplorable, because I feel sorry for him. He is a legend, can get as far as possible, but then there's one thing after another. It's not good for the sport at all. He's a role model for many now. I'm not saying that they should take his belt, cause he has earned it, but there should be some consequence for what he has done, says Alex.

His fight with Rumble:

Johnson lives on his power and he wants to knock out his opponents quickly.
- I want to feel him. This is a guy who you can't step in and measure strength with. You got to have a plan. A thought behind each technique.
Loaded for night match
- He's here to take what I have. The key for me is speed and accuracy, says Alex who after five weeks of training camp in San Diego still lives after US time, to be made justice for the weekend's match.
- It's tough. I am glad that it's just these few days, and then I can go back to my normal life.

Cool. I'd have to add 'controlling distance' to his list of keys to success against Johnson but at least he seems to fully realize what he is up against. AJ is a technical brute and a serious threat to anyone in any weight class.

the mauler, by mauling.

As he alluded to, he will have to fight a very smart fight here. One mistake against Rumble, and it could be game over.

I think Gus will take this by movement and outboxing Anthony, but he is going to have to fight nearly flawlessly to keep from getting knocked out.

As he alluded to, he will have to fight a very smart fight here. One mistake against Rumble, and it could be game over.

I think Gus will take this by movement and outboxing Anthony, but he is going to have to fight nearly flawlessly to keep from getting knocked out.

Yep. Basically just what I said but you did it better. It's the truth.

I can't believe he's talking about Jones and 'role models' after the stuff he did.

Yea, I agree. You never know with someone like Rumble. The power he possess could be enough,
and it's not unlikely at all. And at the same time, I also think Gus should be able to win with that gameplan. Simply put, just being the smarter guy in there.

Back