Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski: Fighter Analysis

Funny how a few months ago max was goat of division, wasnt even close ....he would reign for a long time etc. Volk is a very well rounded fighter and is so powerful with his short frame. Max is his hardest fight but unless max could decision him. I dont see max winning. His pressure and diaz punching wont wear down volk like it does other guys. Max has no power, so volk should beat him most occasions. Volk is champ and I wouldnt think he will lose it any time soon unless new blood comes in fast. Zabit could also beat him if he can stay healthy. He has the tools, and can ko people. KZ is a good fight too imo. Some good fights possible so hoping we get their. 2 or more of them this year.

Apparently he was like 215 Ibs before. I remember hearing that on his interview with Helwani , when he played rugby.

He isn't mike Tyson

As always styles usually make fights

Bring him on and let him prove himself

He got rocked by Mendes (who then got himself rocked and finished in the process) and his cardio is worse than Max's (he becomes slightly slower at the 4th and 5th rounds), so I'd say someone with fast and powerful hands that makes him more tired at the beginning will have a shot.

sounds like Korean Zombie

Funny how a few months ago max was goat of division, wasnt even close ....he would reign for a long time etc. Volk is a very well rounded fighter and is so powerful with his short frame. Max is his hardest fight but unless max could decision him. I dont see max winning. His pressure and diaz punching wont wear down volk like it does other guys. Max has no power, so volk should beat him most occasions. Volk is champ and I wouldnt think he will lose it any time soon unless new blood comes in fast. Zabit could also beat him if he can stay healthy. He has the tools, and can ko people. KZ is a good fight too imo. Some good fights possible so hoping we get their. 2 or more of them this year.
I was just thinking that Holloway was overrated Styles really do make fights and sometimes Holloway's pitter patter works sometimes it don't

I don't think Volk would respond kindly to what KZ brings to the table now

Yeah. He's honestly probably my favorite champ at the moment, but it's because of how smart the guy is. He understands the fight game and has a great plan for each of his opponents.
Easily my favorite fighter to watch. So textbook. He overcomes height and reach issues like a boss, and can fight on the front and backfoot.

• Small for the division
  • Carries massive power and strength for his frame.
  • Can use strength in the clinch extremely effectively to create space, and is an expert at using that space to land shots from all angles.
  • Can create pressure at a very high level, and push a massive pace for 3 rounds. Can maintain pace between grappling, clinch and striking (he can push the pace wherever he wants).
  • Understands how to utilize leg kicks, and strikes at a range to open up the striking game very quickly. The power from his leg kicks forces opponents to react after even just 1-2 quick kicks.
  • Ground and pound is very effective, prefers to sacrifice position on the ground for the opportunity to load up and take huge shots. Absolutely can and will knock you out with G&P
  • Low center of gravity and raw strength makes him difficult to take down
  • Extremely fast. Can go from 0-10 in a blink.
  • Chain wrestles effectively. If the single leg isn’t working, he will change to another takedown very quickly.
  • He doesn’t just put his weight on you up against the cage he is DRIVING.
What are your thoughts? He’s still a relatively “new” fighter to us as he’s only been in the UFC since 2017, but I think he has a really interesting style and has potential to be a champ for a long time.
Fairly accurate assessment I would say except for the "small for the division" and "carries massive power and strength for his frame."

The dude is short but he's not small and he has a huge frame hence him being a former 200 plus pound Rugby player and it wasn't because he was carrying around an excessive amount if body fat.

He's a big powerful guy with unbelievable cardio for someone carrying around a lot of muscle.

He's definitely a skilled top level fighter but I'm still not 100% sold on him going on to have a long dominant title reign just yet. I think a rematch with an Aldo that's not half asleep would be interesting as well as the Zhabit fight and possibly Ortega.

Back