Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski: Fighter Analysis

Leg kicking volk consistently is a bad idea. It will give him too many opportunities to land a takedown in my opinion.
Your probably right. However if someone can get some off it takes the power from shooting for a takedown down drastically.

His speed is really what makes him so good. Got to try to take that away somehow.

Your probably right. However if someone can get some off it takes the power from shooting for a takedown down drastically.

His speed is really what makes him so good. Got to try to take that away somehow.
Legs thick af too though. I’m sure he’d love to just trade leg kicks

He barely squeaked by Max won't be champ long.

Legs thick af too though. I’m sure he’d love to just trade leg kicks
Thicker the legs the more meat to damage. Where I train the dudes with tree trunks for legs can't take many leg kicks. They get all heavy real fast and without a takedown they get danced around.

Thicker the legs the more meat to damage. Where I train the dudes with tree trunks for legs can't take many leg kicks. They get all heavy real fast and without a takedown they get danced around.
Ok, cool I didn’t know that. I would think more weight and muscle wouldn’t kick as hard as the stronger bigger leg. But when you think of it like that, it makes sense

This one of the better, actually MMA related, threads I’ve seen in a while.

Congrats on the generally decent level of discourse up in here.

Ok, cool I didn’t know that. I would think more weight and muscle wouldn’t kick as hard as the stronger bigger leg. But when you think of it like that, it makes sense
Dont get me wrong if they hit you with a leg kick its painful. But leg muscle only has a small factor in throwing a leg kick or any kick for that matter.

Most kick power actually comes from the core and hips. The whip around really doesn't factor much muscle. That's a technique thing 95% of the time.

This one of the better, actually MMA related, threads I’ve seen in a while.

Congrats on the generally decent level of discourse up in here.
Thanks my man I appreciate the love

No doubt that he is the greatest Bulgarian (or Bulgarian-descent) fighter of all time.

Oh I'd love for that fight to happen.

Easy title defense. EASY.

WAR VOLKANOVSKI!!!!

Yair would probably be an interesting fight. Cejudo too.
Any fight in which one guy is fighting at an 8inch height disadvantage is anything but easy. Don't care how you slice it.

Yeah, if they can get the leg kicks off it will be a great weapon for any of the taller guys fighting volk. The problem Is that people rarely get anything off for free against the guy. He actually had more output than Holloway in a five round fight, so that is a testament to that.

Max's corner was telling him "let the kicks go, he's not going to take you down" and in a way they were right, but instead volk just kept catching the kicks and countering with right hands.

If they can find a way to land them continuously and successfully, it will be a great asset--it's just much easier said than done.

I think a guy with big KO power, cardio and solid tdd will be one of the bigger threats for him. Him vs KZ will be very interesting if it happens.

• Small for the division
  • Carries massive power and strength for his frame.
  • Can use strength in the clinch extremely effectively to create space, and is an expert at using that space to land shots from all angles.
  • Can create pressure at a very high level, and push a massive pace for 3 rounds. Can maintain pace between grappling, clinch and striking (he can push the pace wherever he wants).
  • Understands how to utilize leg kicks, and strikes at a range to open up the striking game very quickly. The power from his leg kicks forces opponents to react after even just 1-2 quick kicks.
  • Ground and pound is very effective, prefers to sacrifice position on the ground for the opportunity to load up and take huge shots. Absolutely can and will knock you out with G&P
  • Low center of gravity and raw strength makes him difficult to take down
  • Extremely fast. Can go from 0-10 in a blink.
  • Chain wrestles effectively. If the single leg isn’t working, he will change to another takedown very quickly.
  • He doesn’t just put his weight on you up against the cage he is DRIVING.
What are your thoughts? He’s still a relatively “new” fighter to us as he’s only been in the UFC since 2017, but I think he has a really interesting style and has potential to be a champ for a long time.
Zabit can beat him imo.

He's been a money making machine for me, bet him over Aldo and Holloway and had no doubts.

Cannonier is the next guy to take the belt out of nowhere.

He's probably going to be another fight 1x per year guy....
Basis for that argument? Has fought twice a year or more during both his entire UFC career and his MMA career before that.

He really has no known weaknesses.

He really has no known weaknesses.

g05mkXX.jpg

Seriously though, it's going to be very hard to beat volk.

Back