Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski: Fighter Analysis

He beat Max.
FW GOAT.
Yea he is damn good.

Last edited:
  • Small for the division
  • Carries massive power and strength for his frame.
  • Can use strength in the clinch extremely effectively to create space, and is an expert at using that space to land shots from all angles.
  • Can create pressure at a very high level, and push a massive pace for 3 rounds. Can maintain pace between grappling, clinch and striking (he can push the pace wherever he wants).
  • Understands how to utilize leg kicks, and strikes at a range to open up the striking game very quickly. The power from his leg kicks forces opponents to react after even just 1-2 quick kicks.
  • Ground and pound is very effective, prefers to sacrifice position on the ground for the opportunity to load up and take huge shots. Absolutely can and will knock you out with G&P
  • Low center of gravity and raw strength makes him difficult to take down
  • Extremely fast. Can go from 0-10 in a blink.
  • Chain wrestles effectively. If the single leg isn’t working, he will change to another takedown very quickly.
  • He doesn’t just put his weight on you up against the cage he is DRIVING.
What are your thoughts? He’s still a relatively “new” fighter to us as he’s only been in the UFC since 2017, but I think he has a really interesting style and has potential to be a champ for a long time.

He's probably going to be another fight 1x per year guy....

Zabeast will headkick KO him.

Khabib Bless
Oh I'd love for that fight to happen.

Easy title defense. EASY.

WAR VOLKANOVSKI!!!!

Yair would probably be an interesting fight. Cejudo too.

Nice one @Zebra Cheeks , only one thing: he's only small in height, i'd argue that he's got incredibly thick bones for his division and i remember his hands and wrists being significantly bigger than those of Covington when they sat besides each other before UFC 245 or what it was.

I think his toughest fight right now is Zombie. I think Patricio would have a solid chance if they fought too. Zabit would have quite the length advantage but he’s never gone 5 rounds.

I think his toughest fight right now is Zombie. I think Patricio would have a solid chance if they fought too. Zabit would have quite the length advantage but he’s never gone 5 rounds.
That’s the thing about the zabit matchup is the cardio. Given the fact that volk pressure fights and drains his opponents cardio, I think volk actually finishes him round 3-4

That’s the thing about the zabit matchup is the cardio. Given the fact that volk pressure fights and drains his opponents cardio, I think volk actually finishes him round 3-4
Yeah it’s hard to be convinced by Zabit as a world champion. I still need to watch his fight with Kattar. Sounds like he slowed down again though. I think Volk is def best served putting on more pressure than he did vs Aldo and Max. Volk looks to be extremely adaptable and we have of course seen him come in with more pressure-heavy game plans in the past and I think it’s what he’d look to do here. You don’t want to give Zabit space and time to set up his shots. Volk could probably win a kickboxing match in the centre of the octagon too but the smart thing to do would be to put the pressure on and tire Zabit in the process.

So what I read is

No known weaknesses

He is Franky 2.0

Faster, Stronger, Sharper, Cardio, Tools

And not to mention Max pretty one dimensional

I mean can you think of one? I don’t know how you approach this fight if you’re a challenger
Nope not really. He hasn't looked in a compromised position I can think of. So as of now.

No known weaknesses

Nope not really. He hasn't looked in a compromised position I can think of. So as of now.

No known weaknesses
That’s impressive as hell. Even with usman and khabib we know where you want to try and beat them, it’s just a matter of how do you keep the fight there right?

That’s impressive as hell. Even with usman and khabib we know where you want to try and beat them, it’s just a matter of how do you keep the fight there right?
Yep. Which is damn near impossible. Lol.

I'd lean towards someone with length to keep volk on the outside but max wasn't capable of that.

So yeah maybe leg kick him to oblivion, that would slow down everything that makes him great.

I'm sure easier said than done though.

Yep. Which is damn near impossible. Lol.

I'd lean towards someone with length to keep volk on the outside but max wasn't capable of that.

So yeah maybe leg kick him to oblivion, that would slow down everything that makes him great.

I'm sure easier said than done though.

Leg kicking volk consistently is a bad idea. It will give him too many opportunities to land a takedown in my opinion.

Back