Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski: Fighter Analysis

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
  • Small for the division
  • Carries massive power and strength for his frame.
  • Can use strength in the clinch extremely effectively to create space, and is an expert at using that space to land shots from all angles.
  • Can create pressure at a very high level, and push a massive pace for 3 rounds. Can maintain pace between grappling, clinch and striking (he can push the pace wherever he wants).
  • Understands how to utilize leg kicks, and strikes at a range to open up the striking game very quickly. The power from his leg kicks forces opponents to react after even just 1-2 quick kicks.
  • Ground and pound is very effective, prefers to sacrifice position on the ground for the opportunity to load up and take huge shots. Absolutely can and will knock you out with G&P
  • Low center of gravity and raw strength makes him difficult to take down
  • Extremely fast. Can go from 0-10 in a blink.
  • Chain wrestles effectively. If the single leg isn’t working, he will change to another takedown very quickly.
  • He doesn’t just put his weight on you up against the cage he is DRIVING.
What are your thoughts? He’s still a relatively “new” fighter to us as he’s only been in the UFC since 2017, but I think he has a really interesting style and has potential to be a champ for a long time.

Last edited:
Future FW GOAT. I don't see how Max or any one can beat him. Besides, his record is impressive.

Future FW GOAT. I don't see how Max or any one can beat him. Besides, his record is impressive.
What would be a bad matchup for him? I can’t figure it out right now

I’m more interested in City Kickboxing as a whole they are producing a shocking amount of contenders/champions for such a small gym. They obviously developed a strong training program along with expert game planning that has proven insanely effective on the top levels.

I agree with most of what you said, but according to csac he weighs 165lbs in the octagon, which isn't small for FW.

I'd add that he has an elaborate feinting game and a great understanding of range.

He actually might be the most well rounded champ that we have right now. I'd argue that he is. On top of that his fight IQ is very high.

Last edited:
Agree with most of what you said, but according to csac he weighs 165lbs in the octagonal, which isn't small for FW.

I'd add that he has an elaborate feinting game and a great understanding of range.

He actually might be the most well rounded champ that we have right now. I'd argue that he is.
It’s a small frame but he fills it out so densely with muscle and he still has a great reach. When he fights what I consider a “big” FW like Holloway he uses kicks so well so he’s STILL the one setting the range.

Analysis: He's boring..
It’s only boring at times cause he’s dominant. Like Usman before the Colby fight. When someone pushes him like Colby did to Usman the fights will be more entertaining

It’s a small frame but he fills it out so densely with muscle and he still has a great reach. When he fights what I consider a “big” FW like Holloway he uses kicks so well so he’s STILL the one setting the range.

Yeah. He's honestly probably my favorite champ at the moment, but it's because of how smart the guy is. He understands the fight game and has a great plan for each of his opponents.

Yeah. He's honestly probably my favorite champ at the moment, but it's because of how smart the guy is. He understands the fight game and has a great plan for each of his opponents.
Yeah I agree. He really embodies the “mma” style and uses all of his tools really cohesively. I’ve no idea how you even game plan for a guy like this. If you’re a good striker he smothers you, or as he showed with Holloway he’ll even pick you apart. I’d say maybe try putting him on his back, but he’s takedown defense is great and he always ends up on top. I need to watch the mendes fight but the first few I watched he bucks guys immediately every single time.

A guy used to play rugby and was over 200lbs. He isn’t small.

I actually think Zabit would be not the best matchup for Volkanovski and it would be a very competitive fight if Zabit is healthy (he is been having lots of health issues lately which is a concern).

Doesn’t matter much Chan Sung Jung sleeps him, KZ era incoming
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

<Goldie11>

Yeah, his fight IQ is probably one of his strongest assets

Yeah I agree. He really embodies the “mma” style and uses all of his tools really cohesively. I’ve no idea how you even game plan for a guy like this. If you’re a good striker he smothers you, or as he showed with Holloway he’ll even pick you apart. I’d say maybe try putting him on his back, but he’s takedown defense is great and he always ends up on top. I need to watch the mendes fight but the first few I watched he bucks guys immediately every single time.

He shrugged Mendes off with ease every time Mendes got him down. Max was and probably still is his toughest fight in the division, but a guy like KZ who is also great everywhere and very big at FW and has KO power could also pose problems.

Before the mendez fight I just thought he was Ryu and Mendez was Ken.

But the dude showed he was even better than mendez and had a perfect gameplan to beat Aldo et Holloway the dude can adapt that's for sure.

He shrugged Mendes off with ease every time Mendes got him down. Max was and probably still is his toughest fight in the division, but a guy like KZ who is also great everywhere and very big at FW and has KO power could also pose problems.
Yeah, I think if your goal is to work him down or grind him out (a lot of FWs right now) you’re just gonna lose cause that’s what he’s the best at, and he’s clearly the best at it. If you’re a KO artist you need to have the strength to keep him off you, or he just smothers you like Aldo. Man oh man, what a puzzle

I'd also add into his strengths his ability to listen to his coaches ( fight iq I guess covers it ) but even in exchanges he would listen and maintain composure. He sees the value of fients and occasional level changes even if he doesn't get the takedown, he sees the value of the attempt.

Also broken thumb didn't concern him at all which is a another good sign.

Back