Alex Ovechkin’s Knockout Was So Impressive the UFC Commented on It

Ovechkin is A-Level

• Total voters
Lemieux and Orr clearly. Probably Phil Esposito, Crosby. Arguably or probably Howe, Richard, Coffey. Maybe Bourque, Yzerman, Jagr, Messier, Bossy, Denis Potvin...
The fact that you list Bourque, Coffey and Potvin but not Lidstrom tells me all I need to know about your hockey knowledge, or lack there of.

19-Year-Old Russian Middleweight (187 lbs) Challenges Veteran Heavyweight (239 lbs); It Doesn't End Well

Alex Ovechkin is already considered of the greatest hockey players of all-time, but his brutal first-period knockout of Andrei Svechnikov was one of those rare highlights that transcended hockey.

Monday night, 21 minutes after Ovechkin’s do-si-do, the UFC — a multi-billion-dollar MMA enterprise — commented on Ovechkin’s fight on Twitter.

Svechnikov asked Ovechkin to fight despite giving up nearly 40 pounds to the Russian machine. Ovechkin landed three consecutive rights for, as the UFC calls it, the finish.

“You know what they say… ‘Precision beats power, and timing beats speed,'” the UFC said.

“First of all I hope he’s all right. Don’t want the guy hurt. I’m not a big fighter, he is the same. He asked me to fight.”

For the 33-year-old striker it was his first fight since 2010; it was Svechnikov’s first fight.

#respectyourelders
#pickonsomeoneyourownsize

--Russian Machine

Ovechkin told reporters after the game that Svechnikov asked him to fight, but that was not good enough for Carolina head coach Rod Brind’Amour who voiced his displeasure after the game.

“Svech means a lot to us,” Brind’Amour said to the media after the game. “Young kid, just turned 19. He has a special bond I think with our group and me, too. So when you see that, it makes you sick. I’m still sick to my stomach about it.”

Seeing Svechnikov go down the way he did was certainly unsettling. No one wants to see anyone get hurt. Brind’Amour, however, indicated he was not happy about Ovechkin taking on the young rookie.

“I just heard Ovi talk about it,” Brind’Amour said. “He said our guy challenged him so if that’s the case, that’s a little different. But if you watch the video, because I’ve got to watch it, he slashes him twice, Ovi. Whack, whack. And then Svech gives him back. I don’t know if there’s words exchanged, but one guy’s gloves comes off way first and that’s Ovi’s, it’s not our guy’s. It’s a little bit frustrating because he got hurt and it’s his first fight. He’s played 90 games, he’s never fought in his life and I’m pretty sure Ovi knew that. That stuff bothers me, but it’s done."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...r-disputes-ovechkins-account-svechnikov-fight

He Ko'ed a kid who weighed 50 ilbs less and doesn't fight.

The fact that you list Bourque, Coffey and Potvin but not Lidstrom tells me all I need to know about your hockey knowledge, or lack there of.

I think your statement is more indicative of your own reasoning abilities. You've based your conclusion on some pretty weak assumptions, and ignoring an ellipses indicating a non-exhaustive list, in addition to just taking a generally unpleasant tone for no reason.

Last edited:

And finally, Coffey was a significantly rarer talent than Lidstrom, just to close the matter at the outset.

Another Russian did better fighting being 50 lbs lighter

Lemieux and Orr clearly. Probably Phil Esposito, Crosby. Arguably or probably Howe, Richard, Coffey. Maybe Bourque, Yzerman, Jagr, Messier, Bossy, Denis Potvin...

Don't forget Bobby and Brett Hull.

I like hockey in the fact that if you have an issue with a guy on the ice you can square up and duke it out, and then the refs stop it quickly when 1 or both guys go down.

I hated the old enforcers/goons who would just show up and try to fight anyone and everyone and had no other skill other than to skate a bit and then fight someone. But I can appreciate it now where a guy stands up for himself and gets credit even if he loses a fight in hockey.

I don't know about a guy fighting someone 40-50 pounds lighter and how hockey views this in general (if it's manly by the small guy or a cop out by the heavier guy) but it did look to me like there was some back and forth slashing with sticks and then the smaller dude nodded at Alex which to me is the sign that "yes, let's go!".

Everyone crying about Ovi ko'ing that guy.

He was given the chance to walk away and decided he wanted to go with Ovie and got fucked up.

If you poke a lion dont bitch when it decides to tear you up.

nah. in hockey, there is an unwritten rule among the players to not go after the young, green players. and, that's exactly what Ovechkin did. someone should go return the favor to him.

Ovi knew how to put a punch right on the button, gotta give him credit for that.

Is this a joke?

There are like 25 players you could call better. Sidney Crosby has more career points than Ovechkin and has played like 150 fewer games. Not to mention Crosby is a great two way forward while Ovechkin floats in the circle waiting for one times.

Ovechkin may be the greatest goal scorer ever, but he is far behind guys like Howe, Lemieux, Crosby, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, etc. etc.
Crosby being a great two way player is the biggest myth in hockey. He is a little above average at best.

Saying Ovechkin is not top 25 is really stupid. He has the third most MVPs ever and is probably the greatest goal scorer of all time

nah. in hockey, there is an unwritten rule among the players to not go after the young, green players. and, that's exactly what Ovechkin did. someone should go return the favor to him.
Did you even watch the game? Svechnikov was the one trying to fight Ovechkin. He had being going at Ove all game then asked him to fight

And trying to return the favor would be stupid. Ovechkin plays his best when things get physical

Hes already greatest goal scorer of all time.
Also Svechnikov asked for that ko.
he's playing in a different era then Brett Hull, Mario Lemieux, and Wayne Gretzky so you saying greatest goal scorer is a bit asinine. I'm sure the guys from the 80's & 90's would've loved the type of protection the NHL rules gives Ovechkin now especially Lemieux.

Floppa was the greatest at flopping all over the ice.
What? He's a legend for doing the exact opposite. His career was cut short because he was relentless. He refused to lose. He refused to go down. He's not in the HOF because of his career stats (249 goals for 885 points in 708 games), but because of the way he played. The fact that you say that when the first video shows the exact opposite tells me you know nothing. And the worst of the know-nothings. That is, somebody who insist on expressing opinions anyway.

You know what they say… ‘Precision beats power, and timing beats speed,'” the UFC said.

They asked the entire UFC and they all said that?

And good for Rod Brind’aMoure. I was wondering wtf he was doing these days (I haven’t been watching much hockey lately). He was a fucking stud back in his day. A great two way player, always in shape, never injured it seemed. One of my favorites.

Did you even watch the game? Svechnikov was the one trying to fight Ovechkin. He had being going at Ove all game then asked him to fight

And trying to return the favor would be stupid. Ovechkin plays his best when things get physical

I did watch the game. the content of which you write is most subjective. regardless of Svechnikov possibly initiating with Ovechkin, Ovechkin is aware of the codes and unwritten rules.

hahaha, that's hilarious about Ovechkin. He might play well when he does the hitting, but if someone were to lay him out and/or punch his face in, yeah, he might not play well.

Back