Aleksander Emelianenko

Why cant he or anyone else complain about the Machida fight? Say what you want about Mayweather vs. DLH, atleast they landed more than 1 punch on each other per round.

In Boxing you can counter punch and hit and not get hit is part of the game. In MMA I seriously see very little reason to move backwards. Must you move back at times? Yes. For 15 minutes? No. The last 10 seconds of DLH vs. Mayweather had more exitement than that Machida/Ortiz fight.

people seem to have side to side and backwards mixed up.

For 'MMA Boxing' I think he is one of the best in the HW category.

This is another reason i'd like to see a tournament where high level MMA fighters put their pure boxing skills on display against each other.

Imagine that..I dont know why it hasnt been done yet, but itd be a dream come true.

people just don't get how skilled boxers are, especially high level; they think cus a boxer looks slow or sloppy against another BOXER, that the mma fighter ,who shows good boxing against an mma fighter, could hang as a pro boxer.

if aleks had pro boxing level hands he would be a boxer, the div would love another big strong hard hitting hw.

Good post. At times i get the feeling that some MMA fans believe that if you just train and work at boxing eventually you'll become awesome at it but thats just not the case, many fighters train and fight their whole lives and may never reach anything above club or domestic level, even with the A to Z of titles out there the percentage of fighters on the big stage fighting for world honors is tiny in comparison to how many fighters out there who actually compete on a weekly basis.

like you stated chances are if he was good enough to compete at a decent level in Boxing more than likely someone would have picked up on it and thats where he'd be.
I feel the reasons Aleks gets so much credit for his hands are that he looks comfortable in the pocket and throws with confidence which when he's fighting guys like Morais etc his hands look better than what they really are. This goes not only for Aleks but for several MMA fighters, also when the like of Rogan and Golberg talking about fighter (x)'s "world class" hands etc it misleads fans on how good some of these fighters skills are.

Good post. At times i get the feeling that some MMA fans believe that if you just train and work at boxing eventually you'll become awesome at it but thats just not the case, many fighters train and fight their whole lives and may never reach anything above club or domestic level, even with the A to Z of titles out there the percentage of fighters on the big stage fighting for world honors is tiny in comparison to how many fighters out there who actually compete on a weekly basis.

like you stated chances are if he was good enough to compete at a decent level in Boxing more than likely someone would have picked up on it and thats where he'd be.
I feel the reasons Aleks gets so much credit for his hands are that he looks comfortable in the pocket and throws with confidence which when he's fighting guys like Morais etc his hands look better than what they really are. This goes not only for Aleks but for several MMA fighters, also when the like of Rogan and Golberg talking about fighter (x)'s "world class" hands etc it misleads fans on how good some of these fighters skills are.

great post, that is exactly it; people are soo used to the mediocre boxing/striking in mma, that a person who commits to his shots and stays in the pocket seems special..when in fact he is just exhibiting basic skills at against mediocre competition.

its like me slipping jabbing and potshotting some dude on the street, people around the way may be like hey devante is dumb nice w/his hands whereas people who know/train will be like yeah he got some training but his boxing is mediocre at best, he might have good streetfighting hands..but as a pro or amateur.

which is the situation alot of mma guys aleks, baroni, franklin, sherk and a few others find themselves in; as they aren't really good boxers, but guys w/boxing exp against guy who have none really. so u have mediocre strikers beating up on non descript strikers and the publich not really being familar w/good striking or boxing can't tell the diff.

my friends grandad who is like 80 and grew up in a time when boxing was king and taught in school, an most people were at least familiar w/ it; he was watching a ufc a few years back and he was like these guys can't box for sh*t. LOL... but people nowadays aren't familiar w/it and think what they are seeing is high brow boxing, when its high level mma and d/f level striking.

Even with Alek's tremendous hand speed and KO power he'll have to train his footwork, defense and covering holes before he even thinks about boxing.

Same goes for any boxer trying to do a cross over to MMA. They're 2 different monsters. You just can't go in and expect do dominate.

Even with Alek's tremendous hand speed and KO power he'll have to train his footwork, defense and covering holes before he even thinks about boxing.

Same goes for any boxer trying to do a cross over to MMA. They're 2 different monsters. You just can't go in and expect do dominate.

Agreed. Aleks has all of the physical tools to be a good boxer but its all about putting in the work. If Aleks focused stricly on boxing for 2 or 3 years he could probably be a decent HW. I dont think he would be top 10 because he just hasnt been training for boxing long enough, but imo could be a journeymen.

I think it is harder to step into boxing and do well than it is MMA simply because of the amateur system. Some of these guys have been boxing comptitivley for over 10 years before they turn pro. It would be hard for anyone, even Aleks, to step in and compete with someone with that much experience.

Had Aleks been training for boxing his whole life, he probably could have been a good boxer. No way to know for sure, but i would say all the clues point to yes. Just the same i feel most boxers could have made a living at MMA had that been the path they chose.

Buentello gets KOed in this fight.

Buentello is not the striker he thinks he is.

I agree, although I think Buentello is an adequate enough striker. Problem is Aleks is a bigger and better striker, and probably has the superior chin as well. He hasn't slept in mere seconds like Buentello has (against Arlovski).

Humbly, I ask this question...haha. I love watching boxing, but I will admit, I am not the best when it comes to these types of questions...obviously Aleks would not be able to hang with the best of the HW's, but with his boxing skills would he be able to compete with the average boxer?

No I doubt it.

You idiot, Machida landed alot more than one punch per round. He landed multiple punches and kicks, elbows, et cetera...He also threw a devestating knee that buckled Tito sending him to the ground....He didn't move back for the whole fight, he was moving side to side....Tito is great at wrestling, maybe he was moving backwards when he was suspecting a takedown, or would you rather him move forward into the takedown? God.....another Machida hater.

You probably havn't even seen the fight though, so there is no point in arguing with you.

LOL. Well let me break down some stuff first.

#1. I dont see what "Idiot" and stuff like that is all about.

#2. The "One Punch" was a sarcastic comment.

#3. I dont like Tito Ortiz. I was going for Machida.

#4. Backwards, side to side, call it w/e you want. It was movement away from Tito. Whether it was smart or not is yours and anyone else's opinion. He wasnt the aggressor in the fight.

#5. The two would stand there in fighting positions without doing anything for seconds at a time. I understand they had to be careful but come on. It was the only fight of the night when the house of 15 people was silent and/or talking about the upcomming fights of the night or other sports like Basketball and Boxing.

#6. Back to my original point. This fight was being compared to DLH vs. Mayweather last May 5th. I forgot the exact numbers but combined DLH and Mayweather hit each other with like 4-hundred punches. Far more action than Machida vs. Ortiz.

#7 I know they're two diff sports and in Boxing more punches are thrown because that is the only weapon boxers use. So I created a formula that is totally in favor of MMA in mathematics.

-But 98% of the Machida/Ortiz fight was standing and most strikes MMA fighters throw are punches.

-But for argument sake lets say its 50/50. As in 50% punches and 50% kicks. So to make it even and fair for you. That would mean to match productivity that Mayweather/DLH landed in their fight it would have to be cut in half, 150 strikes landed.

-But for argument sakes a boxing fight is longer and 12 rounds. 12X3 = 36 minutes of action while Machida and Tito has 15 minutes of "action". So lets get half of 150 strikes landed which would be 75. To compare ratio, you know? Machida and Tito didnt land 75 strikes on each other. Not even close.

#8 So now that i got technical and prob lost you. if you understand my original point is that Mayweather vs. DLH had alot more action despite it being a boxing match that didnt live up to its hype and considered boring by not just casual and MMA fans but even Boxing fans. So where does that put Machida vs. Ortiz?

This is another reason i'd like to see a tournament where high level MMA fighters put their pure boxing skills on display against each other.

Imagine that..I dont know why it hasnt been done yet, but itd be a dream come true.

It's called ameture boxing. Not a flame but mma guys have ameture boxing skills, there not boxers.

I honestly dont even know if Ortiz landed more than 5 punches that whole fight. And I dont even know if Machida took one step forward that whole fight. LOL.

It's called ameture boxing. Not a flame but mma guys have ameture boxing skills, there not boxers.

i know. Regardless of skill. I want to see them go at it hands only.

That that Nog vs Anderson Silva sparring video. Now that was cool to watch.

I honestly dont even know if Ortiz landed more than 5 punches that whole fight. And I dont even know if Machida took one step forward that whole fight. LOL.

LOL, I got to admit tho. The ref falling down made me laugh.

........ because if he were to become a professional boxer he would fight the exact same way he does now ........

and getting knocked out / down / whatever... glove size... glove size

Aleks has very good hands for MMA, and he has tremendous KO power, but he still has a lot of holes in his stand-up that need to be filled. Watch the Aleks/Sergei fight to see some of these holes that were exploited. He might be able to KO a few bums at the beginning of his career but as soon as he fights a guy who knows what he's doing he's in deep trouble.

thats great lets set him up with an easy win vs an ageing holyfield or wallace mcdaniel' then we can watch samual peter KO aleks in 2 rounds

If he started boxing competitvely at a young age, Aleks seems to have the natural athletic abilities. but its much like his mma career, he isnt focused, his conditioning is mediocre and inconsistent at best. And his chin isnt the greatest.

if he competed in boxing for a decade or so, starting in his teens, its possible he would be a good pro HW. but its his mental side that makes me question it much more than physical

thats great lets set him up with an easy win vs an ageing holyfield or wallace mcdaniel' then we can watch samual peter KO aleks in 2 rounds

Or may'be against Jeremy Williams, he fights mma and he's been known to weigh in at 229. With 4 oz gloves Jeremy would end up adding a sweet ko to his mma resume.:icon_twis

I don't see any point in that. Just to prove they aren't good boxers?

Back