Aldo vs Pettis and the p4p rankings

MajJ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If Aldo (#2 p4p) fights Pettis (#8?p4p) ans then has a few title defences would it be reasonable to call Pettis #1p4p? And obviously in the same token if Aldo beats Pettis he's clearly #1 p4p because he's beaten a p4p fighter as well as having all those title defences

I think the last fight that had two p4p fighters was GSP vs BJ Penn so it'll be a pretty significant fight

Inb4 'p4p rankings don't mean anything'

Wrong, GSP/Alves, GSP/Shields, and GSP/Condit have all happened since then and were all fights between top 10 fighters on the Sherdog P4P rankings.

You are right about it being a pretty significant fight, as it would be the same as GSP/Penn II at UFC 94 in that it is a fight between two undisputed champions AND top 10 P4P fighters. GSP/Condit was a fight between two champions and top 10 P4P fighters, but Condit was an interim champion.

I certainly would be more excited for Aldo/Pettis than any fight since GSP/Penn II if it ever happens.

Wrong, GSP/Alves, GSP/Shields, and GSP/Condit have all happened since then and were all fights between top 10 fighters on the Sherdog P4P rankings.

Didn't know that... I guess Shields makes sense as he was on a crazy streak as does Condit as he was interim champ...but why Alves?

Didn't know that... I guess Shields makes sense as he was on a crazy streak as does Condit as he was interim champ...but why Alves?

Another streak, seven, I think. I don't consider the p4p rankings outside the champs to mean anything. There's too many options after the champs and there's no good way to decide who fills the rest.

A win over Pettis would hold much more weight if he gets a few DEFENSES first. All UFC champs get put on the "p4p" rankings as soon as they win the title even when people know for sure theres a better fighter out there (i.e. Brock Lesnar;Cain Velasquez). Beating Aldo would solidify much more for Pettis, than a win over Pettis would for Aldo. I love the idea of this matchup, but would like it to happen a little later for both guys so it could build more relevance in this ranking discussion, imo.

Short answer to your question, no.

A win over Pettis would hold much more weight if he gets a few DEFENSES first. All UFC champs get put on the "p4p" rankings as soon as they win the title even when people know for sure theres a better fighter out there (i.e. Brock Lesnar;Cain Velasquez). Beating Aldo would solidify much more for Pettis, than a win over Pettis would for Aldo. I love the idea of this matchup, but would like it to happen a little later for both guys so it could build more relevance in this ranking discussion, imo.

Short answer to your question, no.

tbh I don't think it makes a difference if Pettis beat Aldo before many defences cos he's still beat him

also the champ should be on the p4p list even if they have no defences cos they just beat the last #1 guy who was champ before them

p4p can be whatever you want it to be. I would think a Pettis win over Gil/Aldo/+another would probably vault him up on everyone's list, but lets be reasonable and assume that it's never going to play out exactly like that.

I'm trying to look at this objectively because Pettis a personal favorite of mine, but I just don't think it would be enough to have him #1 p4p. Is the Chris #1 after beating Silva?

I'm trying to look at this objectively because Pettis a personal favorite of mine, but I just don't think it would be enough to have him #1 p4p. Is the Chris #1 after beating Silva?

No he's not, and no one should be #1 until Jones loses, just like Jones never should have been anointed #1 until Silva and GSP lost/retired, barring a sharp decline in skills that we never did see.

p4p means you have to beat many types of fighters and long duration of success. It will take time for Pettis but Aldo is up there beating all kinds of styles. Wrestling, BJJ, Boxer. They still have time to clean out their divisions and move up or down depending.

You are right about it being a pretty significant fight, as it would be the same as GSP/Penn II at UFC 94 in that it is a fight between two undisputed champions AND top 10 P4P fighters. GSP/Condit was a fight between two champions and top 10 P4P fighters, but Condit was an interim champion.

I certainly would be more excited for Aldo/Pettis than any fight since GSP/Penn II if it ever happens.

Sherdog had Fitch in the p4p at the point that he fought GSP. He was on a 8 fight winning streak if I remember correctly

I just feel the idea behind p4p is wrong. It should mean someone who is always going up and down the ladder of the weightclasses (at least a weight above and below) and should never change unless someone out does their record. For instance Fedor wouldn't be a p4p but someone like Penn would have been.

Everyone besides champs seem to be based on a win to lost ratio and quality of those wins. Which I understand but who decides a victory over Hendricks is better than a victory for Machida?

It's a insignificant ranking and is only a popularity contest. I don't think being champ mean you are p4p best, that is what the divional rankings are.

Because what happens when someone like Tito knocks out Jones by freak accident haymaker?

I think a champ vs champs holds more water for a p4p best than any current person on the list.

you dont see weidman on the first spot after beating the 1# twice, dont you?

I would say hes not in the top 4, the top 4 is hard to break, someones gotta lose out of Jones, Barao, Aldo, and Cain.

Back