Aldo vs McGregor

rm95

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Seriously, instead of bitching about whether Conor deserves a title shot or not, lets just accept the fact that he's getting it and be pumped up for a fight that's sure to provide fireworks whoever wins. Aldo and McGregor are the best strikers in the division. Whether you admit it or not, most people want to see this fight. Both guys are entertaining and both guys can bang.

On a side note; who else deserves a title shot other than McGregor? Ok, he's hardly fought a murderers row of opponents but look at it this way. Aldo has beaten Mendes twice. Although the second fight was epic and I would love to see it again, Aldo won 4 out of 5 rounds and showed that he is the better fighter. Aldo has already beaten Edgar and although it was competitive at times, we saw just how far Aldo was ahead of Edgar. Edgar's done well to get himself back in the mix but he only has 1 real quality win (Swanson) since he lost to Aldo 2 years ago.

Aldo has beaten everyone in the top 5 bar McGregor. Conor has got a load of hype surrounding him, scored some impressive wins, the fight sells and when the fight happens its sure to be a barnburner. That's just my opinion.

Everyone knows this...Edgar is up there but that's about it. I don't get why people want a rematch. Yes, Conor hasn't had the best caliber of competition but the people he has beaten he's done dominantly. No one has done what he has done to all his opponents.

Seriously, instead of bitching about whether Conor deserves a title shot or not, lets just accept the fact that he's getting it and be pumped up for a fight that's sure to provide fireworks whoever wins. Aldo and McGregor are the best strikers in the division. Whether you admit it or not, most people want to see this fight. Both guys are entertaining and both guys can bang.

On a side note; who else deserves a title shot other than McGregor? Ok, he's hardly fought a murderers row of opponents but look at it this way. Aldo has beaten Mendes twice. Although the second fight was epic and I would love to see it again, Aldo won 4 out of 5 rounds and showed that he is the better fighter. Aldo has already beaten Edgar and although it was competitive at times, we saw just how far Aldo was ahead of Edgar. Edgar's done well to get himself back in the mix but he only has 1 real quality win (Swanson) since he lost to Aldo 2 years ago.

Aldo has beaten everyone in the top 5 bar McGregor. Conor has got a load of hype surrounding him, scored some impressive wins, the fight sells and when the fight happens its sure to be a barnburner. That's just my opinion.
iirc Aldo was supposed to fight Pettis last year. If he wins against Conor then he should move up. I don't want to see Edgar fight for a title without fighting Mendes.

I want to see Frankie get another shot.

He's really devoted himself to takedowns and ground and pound. He's shown better top control and ground and pound recently than in his entire career.

He honestly looks like he's subscribed to the Cain Velasquez philosophy of cardio and relentless attacks. I've never been more of a Frankie fan.

The problem now is (IMO), nobody in the division can beat Frankie or Chad, but they've both recently had a crack at the champ. I say give McGregor a shot. Once Aldo beats him, winner of Edgar/Mendes gets another title shot and loser gets McGregor.

I don't mind Conor getting the title shot, it's a very interesting match up. I just want to see this fight, don't really care who wins.

Agreed but wait for the squealing teen Macgreghaters get into this thread and claim aldo rapes him in round two with leg kicks.
I'm a massive fan of both think this is the fight of 2015 unless jones vs velasquez happens.

Everyone knows this...Edgar is up there but that's about it. I don't get why people want a rematch. Yes, Conor hasn't had the best caliber of competition but the people he has beaten he's done dominantly. No one has done what he has done to all his opponents.

It's all about styles. Conor is like kryptonite for Aldo. I'm very confident that he will lay him out - That being said, I have a feeling that there are guys Aldo comfortably beat that may give Conor a very tough bout.

It's all about styles. Conor is like kryptonite for Aldo. I'm very confident that he will lay him out - That being said, I have a feeling that there are guys Aldo comfortably beat that may give Conor a very tough bout.

In what way is he the kryptonite for Aldo. His impecable counter takedowns and grinding style, his tight defence, his tucked chin?? Friggin Siver got him down for a second...

Conor has been taking advantage of the sloppiness of his opponents. Aldo has tremendous technique, speed, economy of movement and he is a better grappler. Not to mention he can commit on leg kicks cuz there will be no threat of TDs.

I see Edgar as the toughest match up for Aldo in this division.

McGregor deserves it one million percent. Edgar already got handled.

Anyone who is remotely clued up about MMA knows he does NOT deserve this but hey if the UFC have fooled people into thinking he does then why not. I just hope those same people who say Connor deserves it are also ok in their jobs and lives if they get by passed by someone who hasn't done half the work but gets the reward by shouting the loudest..

He fought a 36 yr old who was probably only number 10 on the ranks because UFC artificially put him there.. How he avoided Lamas, Edgar, Mendes, Bermubez, Korean Zombie and Lentz just shows that people don't have a fucking clue whats going on. Even if Aldo got injured the UFC would have Connor wait as they are shit scared he will lose.. Actually thats a lie they would have him fight CM Punk in the meantime to solidify his number 1 slot

Anyone who is remotely clued up about MMA knows he does NOT deserve this but hey if the UFC have fooled people into thinking he does then why not. I just hope those same people who say Connor deserves it are also ok in their jobs and lives if they get by passed by someone who hasn't done half the work but gets the reward by shouting the loudest..

He fought a 36 yr old who was probably only number 10 on the ranks because UFC artificially put him there.. How he avoided Lamas, Edgar, Mendes, Bermubez, Korean Zombie and Lentz just shows that people don't have a fucking clue whats going on. Even if Aldo got injured the UFC would have Connor wait as they are shit scared he will lose.. Actually thats a lie they would have him fight CM Punk in the meantime to solidify his number 1 slot

Edgar had a fight scheduled against Swanson, Mendes had a fight scheduled against Aldo, Lamas was fighting Bermudez, Korean Zombie isn't fighting at the minute and Lentz is ranked lower than McGregor. The only fighter who McGregor could fight who was ranked reasonably high was Siver. Whether you McGregor haters like it or not nobody else has done anything that stands out and makes me think they should get the title shot over McGregor. Edgar is the closest but he's already lost to Aldo and has only fighter he has beaten that's worth mention since then is Swanson.

Hey I was on my feet cheering last night. I can't WAIT for the Aldo / McGregor showdown. Do I really want to see Frankie (I've never lost a decision in my life) Edgar lose and then complain about getting robbed again? Mendes... Again?

The only interesting matchup left for Aldo is McGoat. I hope he pulls it off so Aldo pulls his head out of his butt. He needs a wakeup call just like AS did. He's too comfortable... He gets ahead on the cards and then... coasts... I wanna see him get his ass handed to him, Ireland (and Sherdog) goes absolutely bat shit crazy and then we see a TRULY MOTIVATED Aldo in the rematch. As a fan, it doesn't get much better than that. Dana knows what people want to see and he gives it to us. I have no problem with that. Screw being fair. If Fair was really "a thing" we'd have Ben Askren in the UFC. Unfortunately, Fair is often boring.

I liked both fighters before last night...Conor's antics were extremely ignorant...and thats what I see in him more and more, he didnt even show any sportsmanship to Siver at all....considering he called the man a Nazi etc..you think he would have made ammends for what I assumed was just hyping up the fight.

Regardless of how I feel, I believe firmly that Aldo wins the fight via TKO or KO, hes faster with his hands and feet, the only way I see Aldo losing is if he allows Conor to get in his head and freezes.

Aldo should beat Conor...and hopefully humble the man..because he is way over the top now.

The following quote sums up the 'McGoat' phenomenon quite well:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Aldo's only shot of winning will be on the ground. Within the first minute he will realise this and he will be spamming takedowns. No FW hits with the power and precision of Conor. Aldo will feel like he's in there with a welterweight and people will see a timid and desperate side of him. He is going to get that dejected little boy look that all of Conor's opponents get real fast.

A lot of people are going to be very mad at how beta Conor makes Aldo look. It will ensure years of hate (and money) towards the Irishman.

Conor is so good he ALREADY has more notoriety than Jones and Rousey.

You are crazy.

Conor has not faced near the level of competition that Aldo has..., Conor will lose hes not fast enough to hang on the feet, Aldo is too good there.

Oh shit I've never thought about this fight until this thread

I like they hype around the fight but I reeeeally want to see Aldo win for 2 reasons:

1) it gives more possibility of Edgar/Mendes since Edgar needs at least 1 more win

2) if Aldo beats McGregor and Pettis beats RDA it makes that match up even sweeter.

Both of these things could happen in 2015

i agree with you. i would rather watch mcgregor vs aldo than another rematch between edgar and aldo. i just don't care for rematches when it's edgar that lost.

Back