5'7 Orthodox
145lbs
25-1
Conor Mcgregor
5'9 Southpaw
145lbs
18-2

This is a very interesting match up. I believe both have their ways to wins

Striking: Even. Boxingislife the asskisser may disagree but this is even. Aldo has some of the best feints and his head movement in the first 3 rounds is scary as hell.
aldoheadmovement00.gif

Conor is no slacker here either. The way he makes his victim over-commit is amazing and his striking is accurate as hell. This gif is one of the his rare clean kos.
WhirlwindUnfoldedBunny.gif

Grappling: Aldo. Having a black belt in luta livre esportiva and BJJ is no joke. To all those assholes that don't think aldo has world classs BJJ because he doesn't have many subs. BJJ involves top control and much more stuff.
Power: I am breaking this up. Hands: Conor easily. Aldo has power here but not like conors. Kicks and Knees: Aldo
tumblr_lxuh53G8eW1r1fx5mo1_400.gif

200.gif

Irony is the gifs both involve money going down.
Cardio: Mcgregor. I don't know how this is possible he cuts almost twice that aldo does. Aldo slows down but he has heart.
Confidence: Even I would have said differently if this fight took place at the time of 189. Conor looks offended when he faced adversity in the mendes fight. Aldo has the heart of a champion.
Speed: Aldo easy. He strikes incredibly fast. Conor is not slow but compared to aldo he is.
Footwork: Conor. Aldo is more stationary that could be bad for him.
X-factors: Aldo: The leg kicks from hell. Yes I know conor is a southpaw but he doesn't check kicks that often. You take the footwork of conor away. You take the power away from him.
Conor's fucking left hand. He may have TKO power but that left can turn the tide like the mendes fight.
I see this going 3 ways : Aldo by Decision Mcgregor by Late round TKO or this fight doesn't happen at all. I hope either of the first two happen instead.
a1b2ce3227011979f6bd8a2ee342c84d_crop_north.jpg

os-ufc-189-results-conor-mcgregor-chad-mendes-20150710

Last edited:
how can you attest cardio to conor? he has never gone 25 minutes in his life aldo on the other hand won the 5th round against edgar (to name one)

by your own admission it would make sense that conor would be the one worst off if this goes deep into the later rounds.

how can you attest cardio to conor? he has never gone 25 minutes in his life aldo on the other hand won the 5th round against edgar (to name one)

by your own admission it would make sense that conor would be the one worst off if this goes deep into the later rounds.

I say that because he got wrestlefucked for a good amount of time and wrestling is bad for the soul and having someone on top of you is energy consuming. I should have added that aldo doesn't gas bad but slows down.

My exact thoughts while reading tc's post.

I dont think leg kicks will play a factor at all.I think 2 things will play a factor.1 can Aldo take and keep Conor down.2 How will Aldo react to conors pressure.

I see conor coming at aldo throwing high kicks and teeps to the knee to get aldo to react while he looks for that straight left.

I say that because he got wrestlefucked for a good amount of time and wrestling is bad for the soul and having someone on top of you is energy consuming. I should have added that aldo doesn't gas bad but slows down.

he didn't get ''wrestlefucked'' he got held down, mendes didn't make him carry his weight nor did he force conor to work when conor was on bottom. the majority of time was spent in conors guard, it's not exhausting to lie flat on your back.

I see conor coming at aldo throwing high kicks and teeps to the knee to get aldo to react while he looks for that straight left.

if he tries that approach he'll end up on his ass. and considering conor's shit knee it's pretty dumb to assume that legkicks wouldn't be part of the gameplan. not like conor's movement has looked better since he injured the knee.

bet they both weigh over the WW limit on fight night

I heard Aldo walked at around 160 recently, and that Conor is at 172. So don't forget to add the section "handicap", because Conor will be seriously handicaped for that fight without the IV.

I think you've mostly got this right. The only things I disagree with are:

Cardio: Aldo goes 5 rounds on the regular in his fights.
Leg Kicks: I doubt Aldo's leg kicks will be that effective with Conor's footwork and the fact that he checked Holloway's leg kicks really well and broke Holloway's foot in the process.

and the fact that he checked Holloway's leg kicks really well and broke Holloway's foot in the process.

yeah because after all, aldo's ability is clearly comparable to that of someone who at the time had been doing mma for a couple of years and was training out of a garage on hawaii without a proper coach even.

didn't go so well trying to check any of sivers now did it? and aldo is a better kicker than siver and sets them up better aswell.

yeah because after all, aldo's ability is clearly comparable to that of someone who at the time had been doing mma for a couple of years and was training out of a garage on hawaii without a proper coach even.

didn't go so well trying to check any of sivers now did it? and aldo is a better kicker than siver and sets them up better aswell.

I'm not saying it's the same, but. Holloway is a top 5 fighter and even then was probably top 10. He lost a controversial split decision to Bermudez who is another top 10. I'm also only using this as one reason. Conor also has great movement and fights mostly from the Southpaw position.

I also don't think Conor was taking Siver that seriously as he predicted a first round KO and he had already beaten a fighter clearly way above him.

Aldo's footwork is way more crisper than Conor.
It's 2015, can we stop this movement=good footwork bullshit?
And even then, Conor doesn't move all that much nowadays.

I'm not saying it's the same, but. Holloway is a top 5 fighter and even then was probably top 10. He lost a controversial split decision to Bermudez who is another top 10. I'm also only using this as one reason. Conor also has great movement and fights mostly from the Southpaw position.

I also don't think Conor was taking Siver that seriously as he predicted a first round KO and he had already beaten a fighter clearly way above him.

holloway wasn't a top 5 fighter then, and he still doesn't have great kicks to this day. he has exellent hands but to try and make comparasins to aldo is just all sorts of dumb.

and stop making excuses for conor, makes sense that his footwork has suffered from the type of knee injury he had, and it has shown as he has altered his style completly since suffering that injury.

holloway wasn't a top 5 fighter then, and he still doesn't have great kicks to this day. he has exellent hands but to try and make comparasins to aldo is just all sorts of dumb.

and stop making excuses for conor, makes sense that his footwork has suffered from the type of knee injury he had, and it has shown as he has altered his style completly since suffering that injury.

I'm not trying to compare him to Aldo. I'm using it as an argument for Conor as to why I don't think leg kicks will be that big of a problem.

I guess I am making excuses, but that doesn't mean they're not valid. Conor clearly won the fight on the feet against Mendes and has better footwork and movement. Mendes gave Aldo a lot of trouble in their 2nd fight. Aldo did not land that many leg kicks in their 2nd fight (I think due to the fact of how successful Mendes was with his hands and the pressure) and I think if Mendes can shut down Aldo's leg kick game then so can Conor.

I'm not trying to compare him to Aldo. I'm using it as an argument for Conor as to why I don't think leg kicks will be that big of a problem.

I guess I am making excuses, but that doesn't mean they're not valid. Conor clearly won the fight on the feet against Mendes and has better footwork and movement. Mendes gave Aldo a lot of trouble in their 2nd fight. Aldo did not land that many leg kicks in their 2nd fight (I think due to the fact of how successful Mendes was with his hands and the pressure) and I think if Mendes can shut down Aldo's leg kick game then so can Conor.

yeah and what i am trying to explain to you that trying to use holloway as a ''go to'' for anything regarding a match up with aldo is all sorts of dumb, since holloway isn't in any way shape or form (even today) a prolific kicker by any sort of measurement.

aldo on the other hand is, and has been for the last 10 or so years. you also don't seem to really grasp what 'footwork' entails.

and the reason aldo was reluctant to kick against mendes wasn't because of pressure, it was because of the threat of takedowns that mendes brings to the table, something that in a match up with mcgregor is null/void because conor doesn't offer a grappling threat what so ever.

why are you even on a mma-board in the first place if you do not even have a basic understanding about the sport? at this point it's just an annoyance to even respond to you. and if you had any sort of self awareness you'd probably realize that for the near future you probably would be better served by just reading threads here.

yeah and what i am trying to explain to you that trying to use holloway as a ''go to'' for anything regarding a match up with aldo is all sorts of dumb, since holloway isn't in any way shape or form (even today) a prolific kicker by any sort of measurement.

aldo on the other hand is, and has been for the last 10 or so years. you also don't seem to really grasp what 'footwork' entails.

and the reason aldo was reluctant to kick against mendes wasn't because of pressure, it was because of the threat of takedowns that mendes brings to the table, something that in a match up with mcgregor is null/void because conor doesn't offer a grappling threat what so ever.

why are you even on a mma-board in the first place if you do not even have a basic understanding about the sport? at this point it's just an annoyance to even respond to you. and if you had any sort of self awareness you'd probably realize that for the near future you probably would be better served by just reading threads here.

I'm using it as a "go to" just to use an example of how he done well in the past. I'm not saying 100% that Aldo isn't going to succeed with them, but I just don't think he will. It's a difference of opinion and I can accept you can have yours without having some sort of attitude problem and/or questioning their intelligence.

A lot of people refer to the Faber fight when talking about leg kicks. The threat of takedowns was clearly there against a less experienced Aldo and he still threw them and had a lot of success. He also only landed 1 leg kick against Korean Zombie who poses hardly any threat to Aldo with a 91% takedown defense.

I'm using it as a "go to" just to use an example of how he done well in the past. I'm not saying 100% that Aldo isn't going to succeed with them, but I just don't think he will. It's a difference of opinion and I can accept you can have yours without having some sort of attitude problem and/or questioning their intelligence.

A lot of people refer to the Faber fight when talking about leg kicks. The threat of takedowns was clearly there against a less experienced Aldo and he still threw them and had a lot of success. He also only landed 1 leg kick against Korean Zombie who poses hardly any threat to Aldo with a 91% takedown defense.

and i'm saying you are dumb for trying to create conjecture that way, a green holloway training out of garage in hawaii without a proper coach or camp, how on earth is that a resonable frame of reference to use when mapping outcomes for how he'll do against aldo? i mean how you even manage to put that train of thought together and then put it into text form without even once going 'hmm, maybe i should rethink this, because i am making no sense what so ever' is in itself mind boggling.

mendes is lightyears faster than faber, so that's also a very poor comparasin. and people refer to faber in terms of the damage aldo is able to inflict with his kicks. as for the korean zombie fight aldo fractured two bones in his foot early in the first round because he threw a kick as kz came forward and it landed badly.

at this point, just please stop. hone up to that you made a really dumb post in the first place, and then educate yourself for future reference.

and i'm saying you are dumb for trying to create conjecture that way, a green holloway training out of garage in hawaii without a proper coach or camp, how on earth is that a resonable frame of reference to use when mapping outcomes for how he'll do against aldo? i mean how you even manage to put that train of thought together and then put it into text form without even once going 'hmm, maybe i should rethink this, because i am making no sense what so ever' is in itself mind boggling.

mendes is lightyears faster than faber, so that's also a very poor comparasin. and people refer to faber in terms of the damage aldo is able to inflict with his kicks. as for the korean zombie fight aldo fractured two bones in his foot early in the first round because he threw a kick as kz came forward and it landed badly.

at this point, just please stop. hone up to that you made a really dumb post in the first place, and then educate yourself for future reference.

The Holloway fight was just one of a few reasons. It wasn't the best reason, but it was one among a few to form a case. It wasn't the whole structure to my argument and if I was basing my whole argument on that point I would agree that it was stupid.

I think Faber was a fair comparison due to the point of Aldo's career where he wasn't as complete of a fighter as he is now. Aldo also threw some leg kicks against Mike Brown who won a state championship in wrestling and had a high success rate in taking down Faber. I did forget that Aldo broke his foot against KZ, so that point I made isn't valid at all.

I don't really feel like I need to "hone up" to anything and I feel my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Your guess about cardio is based on nothing it seems.

Conor looks worse at weigh-ins than Aldo ever has, was starting to slow in the Mendes fight and has been breathing heavy even in his quickie fights. There is no way that a guy who looks like this when making weight is going to outpace Aldo down the stretch:

hqdefault.jpg

I believe in McGregor being able to win but it has to be by finish in the first 3 rounds, otherwise he's toast.

Your guess about cardio is based on nothing it seems.

Conor looks worse at weigh-ins than Aldo ever has, was starting to slow in the Mendes fight and has been breathing heavy even in his quickie fights. There is no way that a guy who looks like this when making weight is going to outpace Aldo down the stretch:

hqdefault.jpg

I believe in McGregor being able to win but it has to be by finish in the first 3 rounds, otherwise he's toast.

He always seems a better by the next day, but I'd have to agree. Conor has never been to championship rounds, he hardly ever looks great at the weigh-ins, fighting such a high caliber fighter like Aldo is sure to have an effect, and I also don't know how the IV ban will effect him.

Back