Aldo/Holloway EARLY PPV numbers ...

Makes you appreciate Mcgregors draw power that much more when you see how shitty everyone else does

Meltzer's Newsletter

The early PPV estimates are surprisingly strong, as the estimate was only slightly below the last two shows, the Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson and the Stipe Miocic vs. Junior Dos Santos show at 290,000 buys. Keep in mind that anything this early could be off 20 percent, but even then, most figured this show as a 200,000 level show and every indicator would show this probably beat that number by a solid amount.

Google trends point to a similar level of buys as it was very slightly below the last two shows.
Google searches of 500,000 were also an encouraging sign as that usually indicates a number closer to 300,000 than 200,000. It was clearly the main event alone as this show had no marquee support. It looks like there were enough hardcore fans who bought this as a serious fight and that either McGregor made Aldo more of a star, and/or people have followed Holloway enough and seen his exciting wins to care about him chasing the title. The indications are the show did huge numbers in Hawaii, but that state doesn’t have the population base to make that much of a difference even if it was a big deal there.

@ThePeoplesMMA

So it was in the area of bigger fights (at least as far as expectations go)
Good sign for Max

*remember these are not all the companies reporting yet

Good for Max, I'd like to see him do well. Thanks for sharing!

I've read this recently:
http://mmapayout.com/2017/06/ufc-212-payout-perspective/

UFC 212 drew 200,000 google searches on Saturday.

Conclusion

200,000 google searches the day of the event, the MLB overrun on FS1 for the Prelims and the fight card in Brazil probably means that this PPV draws somewhere between 150K to 200K PPV buys. In comparison, UFC 134 (ASilva-Okami) drew 335,000 buys in the same venue in September 2011. Aldo-Mendes 2 in Maracanazinho, Brazil drew 180,000 buys. The event took place in October 2014 at UFC 179. Holloway’s last PPV in December against Anthony Pettis drew 150,000 PPV buys although a replay on Fox during Christmas Eve did well. Still, we’re talking about buys for PPV and with a string of UFC events coming up for June and July’s International Fight Week coming up this PPV may have been one that the casual fan skips.

Why would any MMA fan give a shit about that?

I am curious how WMMA main cards compare to other cards in terms of PPV buys and such

I am curious how WMMA main cards compare to other cards in terms of PPV buys and such
Depends on name in main event. Ronda Rousey headlined probably 4/5 of PPV cards for ladies. Because of that i suspect waaaaay better results for WMMA.

VanZant vs Waterson had the biggest numbers on fox in recent years:
TV Ratings: 3.18M avg. viewers (4.8M peak main event)

They bassically dwarfed extremly stacked card:

UFC on FOX 13: 2.8M avg. viewers (3.8M peak main event)
main event: Dos Santos vs. Miocic
co-main: Dos Anjos vs Nate Diaz
Overeem vs Struve

Also they paid paige only 43k for it. WMMA is pure money for fox and ufc

Last edited:
Seems pretty obvious, 300K-ish numbers are most likely hardcores that will buy any crap card. The fact that this did close to Stipe/JDS and DC/AJ suggests that casuals are not buying any PPV's that don't include Rousey or Mcgregor.

Thanks for sharing.

Cant believe someone gets angry when stats are handed to them.

300k will always be a solid number. the canelos and mcgregors of the world are always the exception.

Baseline PPV is about ~200K. Card generated about 90K in added value, if the figures are correct.

More interestingly, the numbers indicate that Mighty Mouse is a negative draw. 75,000 people who would otherwise buy any PPV will not dish 60$ for a Demetrious Johnson PPV.

Shitty numbers. The UFC has basically lost every single major drawing factor that they had last year. Conor isnt around, Ronda is gone, Brock is gone, Punk presumably wont fight again and there isnt a big landmark 200 type card coming. Its been a quick, brutal turnaround and its surely not what WME envisioned a year ago

Thanks for sharing.

Cant believe someone gets angry when stats are handed to them.

Only trolls
He was banned under other names & comes back & wash-rinse-repeat
I don't take trolls & nitwits seriously. They all wind up getting yellow-banned & flocking together.

He will come back again under a new name, do it again, people ITT will call him out for being a jackass, he will find one other nitwit to like his post & they butt-buddy ITT like 6 year olds

I post for those that care & not the trolls & it humorously pisses them off I don't engage back :)

Last edited:
Contracts vary. It might be 250k or 350k?

I wonder if Aldo even has PPV-points in his contract? I know DJ doesn't since he wasn't confident in his ability to sell and wanted more money upfront instead, maybe Aldo has a similar contract.

The Conor McGregor effect

There's a reason they featured him in every countdown and preview.

Losing to Conor is the biggest commercial success either fighter has had.

Yeah I'm sure people were screaming for more $59.99 PPVs with Aldo after that 14 second performance..

Why are you here ? You have so little in your life you took time to come in here and trash talk. You are no better then any of us.
tenor.gif

I wonder if Aldo even has PPV-points in his contract. I know DJ doesn't since he wasn't confident in his ability to sell and want more money upfront instead, maybe Aldo has a similar contract.

He did with Conor for sure
The DJ thing was a rare instance that he asked for.
Plus a big part of the DJ contract was they were going to focus putting him on Fox instead. The heavily promoted him (some on here refuse to acknowledge that) & he drew horribly on free TV in the states.
They gave him a raise after not drawing on PPV & invested along with Fox in promoting him & it did not work.
I heard nothing about Aldo going that route so I would think he gets PPV, but you might be right.

I find it hilarious that they give DJ shit for selling low when a fucking HW title fight and a LHW title fight both sell below 300k.

Maybe DJ is not the problem after all.

Back