Aldo deserving of the flak he gets for pulling out? The numbers...

I finished school a long time ago. Hell I even took a few advanced stat's class since I work in QM and have to run SPC for manufacturing and production. Stat's are easily manipulated to say what you want them to say. By extending the timeline to his whole career it makes it look like he did not pull out of a bunch of UFC TITLE fights, when he did. If they were to isolate the UFC timeframe only it would look very different.
Exactly. You can manipulate stats to say whatever you want. I've lost count at the amount of times i've focused on a different outcome or written "trend towards significance" in a paper.

OP isn't really defending Aldo but tattling on the otherz.

It's like the co-worker or school kid that gets blamed for something & then points over to the crowd of other people who are doing the same thing.

Still doesn't excuse it. :cool:

This narrative that Aldo pulls out a lot was fabricated by brainless McGregor fans after he pulled out from UFC 189. It's complete and utter bullshit. Also it's hard to compare Aldo with other fighters because he only had title fights in the UFC and has been champion for years.
It's actually not "complete and utter bullshit." He's pulled out of fights five times and has fought nine times in the UFC. That's really not a great track record by any measure.

Dude, the whole point of Aldo getting flak is him pulling out of UFC title fights. That means ruined cards. No one cares who pulls out on the regional circuit. His UFC title fight pull-out rate is 50%, which sucks for fans.

Where is the outrage for Jones pulling out of 5 fights vs 10 defenses?

Part of what the stats show is that long reigning champions will pull out more often. You can claim that they do it to protect their belt but then explain to me why Jones, one of the most polarizing fighters out there, has never gotten anywhere close to the amount of hate for "pulling out of title fights". GSP's ratio isn't that much better so again: where was the vitriol back when he was active?

Looks to me like a lot of guys here have been caught with a foot in their mouth and are now grasping for straws. Not a single one of you has manned up so far.

Aldo deserves none off the shit he gets. Just a bunch of insecure Conor fans trying to tear down real greatness to make their boy's paltry accomplishments look better by comparison and excuse him ducking the rematch all year.

Anyone who isn't a total idiot knows Jose fought regularly and cleaned out the division.

Why would McGregor duck Aldo? If you look at the facts it just makes no sense.

It was Aldo who pulled out of their first scheduled fight with a bruised rib and it was Aldo who refused the short notice rematch at lightweight when RDA pulled out.

Aldo has gotten knocked down by Chad freaking Mendes and Aldo hasn't finished a fight since a freak injury of Chan Sung Jung. Before that it was Manny Gamburyan in 2010.

McGregor was willing to fight RDA back when RDA was destroying everyone and is willing to fight Tyron Woodley. It makes no sense that he would be scared of Aldo, a guy he has already proven he can KO.

How do you see Aldo beating McGregor? He isn't going to finish him so he's going to have to survive for 5 rounds against a bigger opponent with better striking. He could try to take McGregor down but Alvarez is bigger and has better wrestling than Aldo and he didn't even come close to taking McGregor down.

The only reason he didn't go back down to rematch Aldo was because A) he hates the weight cut and B) there are bigger money fights available. Why fight a brazilian guy that isn't very popular when you can go to lightweight and make history?

I'm sorry that McGregor humiliated your boy but Aldo is just going to have to swallow his pride and accept that there is a much better fighter than him out there.

Let's stop with the bullshit once and for all.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/7...t-of-fighters-who-pull-out-of-the-most-fights

a few popular names for those too lazy to read:

Jose Aldo 6 (28 fights) ratio 4,67
Jon Jones 5 (23 fights) ratio 4,6
Anthony Pettis 5 (25 fights) ratio 5
Josh Thomson 5 (31 fights) ratio 6,2
Luke Rockhold 5 (18 fights) ratio 3,6
Tarec Saffiedine 5 (21 fights) ratio 4,2
Alistair Overeem 5 (41 fights) ratio 8,2
Georges St. Pierre 4 (27 fights) ratio 6,75
Frank Mir 4 (29 fights) ratio 7.25
Rory MacDonald 4 (22 fights) ratio 5,5

So Aldo has only pulled out of one more fight than Jones, Pettis, Rockhold, Saffiedine, two more than St-Pierre and Mir.

The frequency of the injuries has increased later in his career, but this is very normal considering increased wear and tear as a career progresses and also the fact that training for and competing in 5 round title defenses is more taxing on the body.

The important part though, is pullout-to-fights ratio. Looking at those numbers, the hypocrisy of the posters bashing Aldo is revealed; no one on this list has ever gotten a fraction of the criticism that Aldo has been getting over the past year, and yet:

Jones' is slightly worse
Rockhold's is much worse
Pettis' and Rory's are only slightly better

Redo this using only UFC fights

You've made an Idiot of yourself ts. Actually LOOK at your source.

It says jones pulled out of UFC 151. he didn't, hendo did. UFC 177 was no pullout, the bout was reschedualed to ufc 178. Where Gustufson pulled out, and was replaced by cormier. then Jones pulled out.

So no, Jones is not worse than aldo. and it's not close.

divide total number of fights by number of pull-outs = average number of fights between each pull-out
ic. seems like a strange way to do that (fights/pullout) instead of (pullouts/fight) but same thing i guess.

Aldo has gotten knocked down by Chad freaking Mendes and Aldo hasn't finished a fight since a freak injury of Chan Sung Jung. Before that it was Manny Gamburyan in 2010.

Nah you forgot he finished mendes in their first fight Via the dirtiest cage grab you've ever seen in your life to knee combo.

It's actually not "complete and utter bullshit." He's pulled out of fights five times and has fought nine times in the UFC. That's really not a great track record by any measure.

Simple question: How many long-standing UFC champions have better track record as far as not dropping out of title fights? Anderson and?

So do Jones, Aldo and GSP all deserve to be crucified ...or is it perhaps that fans (as usual) have no fucking clue about the realities of fight life and their standards are ridiculous?

Where is the outrage for Jones pulling out of 5 fights vs 10 defenses?

Part of what the stats show is that long reigning champions will pull out more often. You can claim that they do it to protect their belt but then explain to me why Jones, one of the most polarizing fighters out there, has never gotten anywhere close to the amount of hate for "pulling out of title fights". GSP's ratio isn't that much better so again: where was the vitriol back when he was active?

Looks to me like a lot of guys here have been caught with a foot in their mouth and are now grasping for straws. Not a single one of you has manned up so far.
Jones got a lot of heat for the Sonnen card and getting injured for the big DC fight. His outside the cage stuff plays a part on where the focus is, too. GSP didn't pull-out much as champ, then he got a serious injury and re-injured himself, while Aldo's aren't as bad. People were concerned if GSP could fight again because of his knee.

You made this stat to skew people's perceptions, when all they've been complaining about is recency.

Okay, I'll swing some more. Jones has been in 10 title fights in his UFC tenure since 2011. Aldo has been in 9. So even though Jones has a worse "pull out to fight ratio" (which is actually falsified by your source) Jones still remains more active. Why is that?

Yeah...but bashing Aldo is a side effect of the new lunatic Conor fanboys who are still living in the promotion to their first fight.

is normal.

He deserves flack for being a whiny crybaby and overall unlikeable. He is a great fighter though.....

Back