Aldo and McGregor are both great. Let's cool it with all the hate.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by darkthorn, Jan 20, 2015.

1. darkthorn

darkthorn Orange Belt

Rivalries and trash talk are fun. They get people interested and emotionally invested in a fight. But sometimes people let their emotions get the better of themselves and say things that are disrespectful, but more importantly, clearly untrue, to prop up the fighter they support, and knock their rival down.

McGregor has had a remarkable and exciting run through the FW division, but some posters still refuse to give him more credit than being a "hype train" and a good talker. And the treatment of Aldo has been even worse. With the way many posters casually say that Aldo has no chance against McGregor, you'd think Aldo was another Siver or Brimage instead of a P4P great, and future legend.

Sherdog isn't usually a place for reasonable discussion, but I think right now is when I've seen the intelligent analysis : 1 liner posts and insults ratio at its absolute lowest. Let's try to discuss fights more rationally. McGregor has proven himself to be a great fighter and deserves a title shot. Aldo is one of the best fighters ever. Both of them provide difficulties for the other, and neither will clearly destroy the other. I think these are things almost all of us can agree upon if we admit it. Otherwise the odds would not be as close as they are.

Personally, I think Aldo takes the fight by decision. He has no real weaknesses and will be able to adapt to McGregor's striking (perhaps after weathering an early storm) by mixing it up with kicks, TDs, and perhaps dirty boxing and out-grind McGregor. But, of course, this is open to debate. That is the point of a discussion forum, not constant 1 line posts that offer no analysis besides "you're wrong and I'm right."

2. LikeItIs

LikeItIs Red Belt

I agree with you TS but unfortunately this will fall on deaf keyboards.

3. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

I'm a mc-g fan, but I think it's a bit premature to call him great.

4. Lloydster

Lloydster Orange Belt

I don't mind some disrespectful talk before the contest. The people who slam the loser afterwards really fry my ass though.

5. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

I haven't heard anyone say Aldo isn't great? Just that Conor is going to win.

All the fighter hate is directed at Conor

6. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

Hey, watch your mouth darkthorn.

That's not why we log onto Sherdog.

WAR GSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BJJkid94

BJJkid94 Green Belt

Wow way too neutral of a post for these forums!

Good post. It's gonna be a great fight. Aldo is almost a decade unbeaten for a reason. At the same time, it is crazy to ignore Conor's skills.

8. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

The mutual trash talk brings crazy traffic to sherdog and drives up interest in mma so everyone wins. After the black eye the sport suffered due to Jones' unprofessional and unsavory antics, Conor is here to revive UFC to its former glory.

And Aldo finally gets the media attention that his skills deserve but never received because of his D-level self-promotion. Now he gets the reflected glory from Conor and all the financial rewards that will bring.

Aldo should tank Conor, the UFC should tank Conor, and most of all we the fans must tank Conor.

9. Jin Akutsu

Jin Akutsu Gengar Belt Platinum Member

McGregor via TKO/KO Round 2 late, or early Round 3.

No debate. /100% right.

No, I agree with you TS. Most tend to fall on either extreme which inhibits rational discussion.

10. Cold Front

Cold Front Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Hate is a fun part of the game. Why did so many eyeballs tune in to see Cormier/Jones? Why do polarizing fighters like Nick Diaz have both strong support and strong opposition? So don't hate on hate.

Having said that, I don't hate either MacGregor or Aldo. But I do hate some of the fanboys, though.

11. TdotK

TdotK Purple Belt

Wrong, TS. This is how it starts.

"The GOAT will take his head clean off in 2 rounds!"

"His best win is Dennis Siver. Get real."

"Hater! You can't deal with the fact that he's the GOAT!"

"Bro, you just sat here and said he's gonna KO the actual FW GOAT in 2 rounds. Like I said, his best win is Dennis Siver."

"Hater!"

12. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

I don't really think McGregor deserves a title shot. But I don't really care. It's happening.

Aldo wins. McGregor wins. Doesn't matter to me. I just want to see a good fight.

13. morose

morose Purple Belt

i think Aldo beats him easily. people are forgetting wrestler Mendes looked like a striking killer for a while when fighting comp comparable to who Mcgregor has beaten except for Poirier who honestly was tailor made for Conor and who Mendes may very well TKO too...

14. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

No one complained about Mendes getting his second title shot, and his path to Aldo was McKenzie, Meza, Elkins, Guida and Lentz. And people need to stop thinking Siver earned Conor the shot. He got it when he beat Poirier-the Siver fight was made to add to his highlight reel and make some money off drunk Boston fans.

15. Maori

Maori Brown Belt

Aldos great, dont know where you got the connors great from, beating siver makes u great?

16. Mixedfights

Mixedfights Silver Belt

Conor is the best test right now for Aldo. I think Conor takes it with his KO power and accuracy.

Either way both are amazing fighters. We should all be happy as hell about this match up. Its a great one.

17. morohbj

morohbj Orange Belt

Fighter x via complete domination/murder/destruction/whatever he wants.
    Fighter y is overrated/garbage/one dimensional/boring

18. MMAFanX

MMAFanX Purple Belt

Sad thing is this is very accurate on what most Conor fans say on sherdog. You can't have a conversation with them lol. I'm a huge Aldo fan and I think this will be a tough fight for him but I still think he will win.

19. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Silver Belt

Aldo is a great fighter, Conor has yet to prove he is great, he certainly has that potential though.

20. standandtrade7

standandtrade7 Blue Belt

It seems like people are just very emotional and can't separate logic from their feelings about a fighter.

I have been very vocal about being a fan of McGregor. I truly think he's marvelous and such an exciting addition to the UFC. How anyone can say he beats Aldo 10 times out of 10 is crazy though.

Whether he beats him, I don't know. But Aldo is like two standard deviations above Dennis Siver.

Just because one beats the other doesn't mean either guy sucked either.