Alcoholic coworker pt.2

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
Mainly for thise who were in the oldthread, but ill add cliffs anyway.

* new colleague is erratic and there are suspicions that he is an alcoholic.
* i come to sherdog for help and instead they sympathise with their alcoholic (tbc) brethren.
* i now return with more information.

So, the guy has made a bunch of enormous fuckups in the 2 months or so that hes been working with us.
He totalled one ofthe managers cars, lost some gear, broke some other expensive gear, sent unfinished work to clients etc.

This came to a head last friday.

He got sent out to complete a relatively easy task, should have taken 2 hours or so, mainly driving.
He returned 6 hours later and presented one of the directors with the controller that he had just broken some how.
The controllers have a removable antenna that is $600 to replace.
He snapped the thing in half some how and also lost the half that he snapped off.

Director said to him in front of 10-15 staff "you need to fix this RIGHT NOW, im sick of this shit, what the fuck is wrong with you? Order a new one NOW!" then stormed off.

So its 3pm at the time that exchange happens. We need the item by closing time otherwise our weekend and monday plans are all stuffed, we cant work without it. He has until 5pm to call our distributor and sort out a replacement antenna, easy right?

I walked past him at 4pm and asked "how much are the antennas nowadays?" and got the reply "i dunno".

"What do you mean you dont know? Disnt you just order one?"

"Nah, i havent had a chance to do it yet."

"Dude.. Order it NOW."

"Yeah ok ill do it now."

Left him with that and went back to my office.

5:15pm he walks into the office which i share with one other senior guy, straight past me and says to the other guy (who is his manager effectively) "oi, can you order an antenna for me?".

Other guy looked at him in disbelief before i butted in "Hey, that was your job, 2 hours ago". He replied "yeah but i dont know who to call".

I was a bit stunned by that point but managed to say "so ask me who to call.. 2 hours ago when they were still open.. Which i explained to you".

I wasnt yelling at him or being aggressive, i was just in a state of disbelief at his incompetence.
And, to be fair, we shouldnt have left the task to him.. But how much simpler could a task be then making a phone call and asking for something?

The last thing to happen was another colleague managed to call the distributors mobile and get someone to stay back late with a replacement antenna, we just needed to pick it up.
I ask captain awesome to pick up the thing, a 20 min drive, to which he responds "nah im pretty tired man, i gotta go home".

Anyway, hes a fucker, but hes been charging out lots to his company card at pubs inthe evening and we also realised that later friday evening when one of the accounts girls brought it up.

He gettin fired so hard on monday.

/vent

Mainly for thise who were in the oldthread, but ill add cliffs anyway.

* new colleague is erratic and there are suspicions that he is an alcoholic.
* i come to sherdog for help and instead they sympathise with their alcoholic (tbc) brethren.
* i now return with more information.

So, the guy has made a bunch of enormous fuckups in the 2 months or so that hes been working with us.
He totalled one ofthe managers cars, lost some gear, broke some other expensive gear, sent unfinished work to clients etc.

This came to a head last friday.

He got sent out to complete a relatively easy task, should have taken 2 hours or so, mainly driving.
He returned 6 hours later and presented one of the directors with the controller that he had just broken some how.
The controllers have a removable antenna that is $600 to replace.
He snapped the thing in half some how and also lost the half that he snapped off.

Director said to him in front of 10-15 staff "you need to fix this RIGHT NOW, im sick of this shit, what the fuck is wrong with you? Order a new one NOW!" then stormed off.

So its 3pm at the time that exchange happens. We need the item by closing time otherwise our weekend and monday plans are all stuffed, we cant work without it. He has until 5pm to call our distributor and sort out a replacement antenna, easy right?

I walked past him at 4pm and asked "how much are the antennas nowadays?" and got the reply "i dunno".

"What do you mean you dont know? Disnt you just order one?"

"Nah, i havent had a chance to do it yet."

"Dude.. Order it NOW."

"Yeah ok ill do it now."

Left him with that and went back to my office.

5:15pm he walks into the office which i share with one other senior guy, straight past me and says to the other guy (who is his manager effectively) "oi, can you order an antenna for me?".

Other guy looked at him in disbelief before i butted in "Hey, that was your job, 2 hours ago". He replied "yeah but i dont know who to call".

I was a bit stunned by that point but managed to say "so ask me who to call.. 2 hours ago when they were still open.. Which i explained to you".

I wasnt yelling at him or being aggressive, i was just in a state of disbelief at his incompetence.
And, to be fair, we shouldnt have left the task to him.. But how much simpler could a task be then making a phone call and asking for something?

The last thing to happen was another colleague managed to call the distributors mobile and get someone to stay back late with a replacement antenna, we just needed to pick it up.
I ask captain awesome to pick up the thing, a 20 min drive, to which he responds "nah im pretty tired man, i gotta go home".

Anyway, hes a fucker, but hes been charging out lots to his company card at pubs inthe evening and we also realised that later friday evening when one of the accounts girls brought it up.

He gettin fired so hard on monday.

/vent
Get him to buy you some beers on that company card before he gets fired. Hurry there's not much time.

He'll be a problem for taxpayers soon.

He is a piece of shit that's for sure. I hate guys like him that don't think they are fuck ups but fuck everything up anyway.

That guy sounds like a POS moron. Should have been fired a long time ago.

Are you sure he was drunk and not just a really stupid person?

Sounds like a worthless cunt. I've worked with pieces of shit like that before, and they do nothing but make the lives of everyone around them more difficult than they need to be.

Guy sounds perfect for the kind of job where you don't leave home and don't do any work or receive a paycheck.

Lol wtf is this company and how can I apply there? Because apparently it's next to impossible to get fired no matter what you do. Also i like to drink at work and drive the bosses cars around for hours at a time.

I think he's just stupid. I'm basically an alcoholic and I manage to do my work pretty convincingly

whoever hired this guy is the one that should be fired. how bad of a judgement could you have to hire such a dimwit?

whoever hired this guy is the one that should be fired. how bad of a judgement could you have to hire such a dimwit?

The situation is - i work in a start up company within a much larger engineering company. The engineers dont fully understand our work and they were the ones that hired him. Me and the other senior dude were on separate work trips at the time of hiring so couldnt sit in on his interview.

The directors were going to wait until the end of his probation so that they could just not give him a job instead of firing him, or however that works. Directors live on easy street and seem to not be used to handling shit going wrong.

The amount of damage hes done is too mich though, and its clear he has major issues in his personal life spilling over into work.

Im all for helping people and that jazz, but he is dangerous to have around.

I think he's just stupid. I'm basically an alcoholic and I manage to do my work pretty convincingly

I used to drink on the job when I was a janitor in a fast food place, in my 20s. Never let it affect my work or anything though - and when I did it, it was usually because I had been out drinking with friends all night (work started at 3am) and just needed to keep going to have enough momentum to get through the shift lol.

I've heard in some countries, including Australia, Naval seamen are permitted to drink as much as they like while on duty so long as they can still manage to complete any tasks that are given to them.

I'm not an alcoholic, but I did go through a period of my life where things were pretty bad and I was a lot like the guy Dreadlock describes. A lot of people thought I was an alcoholic, at the time actually, but I have since managed to prove I am not by the fact I was able to simply stop abusing alcohol and return to normal, responsible drinking without any hitch - an alcoholic isn't able to do that. Once they're gone, they're gone it's either stop completely or try your best to become an HFA.

Are you still sticking your fucking nose into other people's business and then posting this verbal diorhrea on here for us to read.

Get a life.

Get him to buy you some beers on that company card before he gets fired. Hurry there's not much time.

I like you.

You really got me with "Hurry".

Sounds to me like he's just a complete dumbass that just happens to drink too much as well. The drinking surely isn't helping his dumbassery. He might be a little mentally challenged. Or he really just doesn't give a fuck, which is even worse.

Back