Alcohol withdrawal...

I would imagine you need to be honest with yourself about the AMOUNTS you are drinking.

If you go out every Saturday and have a few drinks, maybe 3 or so, probably OK to do that.

If you go out every Saturday and just get completely wrecked, you might want to consider quitting altogether.

I don't know why, but some people just have a really hard time drinking in moderation. Those people are much better of not drinking at all.

I would imagine you need to be honest with yourself about the AMOUNTS you are drinking.

If you go out every Saturday and have a few drinks, maybe 3 or so, probably OK to do that.

If you go out every Saturday and just get completely wrecked, you might want to consider quitting altogether.

I don't know why, but some people just have a really hard time drinking in moderation. Those people are much better of not drinking at all.

It's definitely a maturity thing, but also personalities that like to take things to the extreme. I guess you could say that I have an addictive personality. This can be great for certain things (training, learning an instrument, work, etc.), but it's obviously bad with vices. I also think youth plays a part. You think that you are invincible and that bad things won't happen to you. By the time you realize that shit is out of control, your body literally depends on it.

Very interesting posts Oblivian.
At a less extreme level, I read that alchohol slows down fat oxidation and slows protein synthesis, sounds like a nightmare if you are wanting to get in shape.

Be ready for a long post, but I have a lot of experience with alcohol withdrawal. I started drinking when I was 16. It started as an occasional weekend party type thing. By the age of 18 when I went to college, it was pretty much an every Friday and Saturday type thing. By the age of 21, I would be drinking Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, along with a random weekday thrown in there. At that point, don't think I was a full fledged alcoholic yet. When I was 22 and 23, I was to the point of drinking 6 days a week. I would notice withdrawal symptoms such as the shakes and such. By 24, I was drinking daily, and it was insane amounts.

During those times, I had flirted with quitting or cutting back. I remember quitting for a month or so at a time when I was 22 or 23. I remember dealing with the withdrawal symptoms such as the shakes, sleeplessness, headaches, etc., but they really weren't bad. I'm sure I was an alcoholic at that point, but IMO, there are degrees of alcoholism and I wasn't near the worst. By age 24, that's when the daily drinking occurred. At first it was about 12 beers a day, but my tolerance was growing at a very fast rate. The last month of my drinking I was downing 20-24 beers per day. I had trouble holding down food, I'd have withdrawals first thing in the morning, I'd be puking constantly, etc. It fucking sucked. That's when I decided to fully quit, cold turkey. I'd made half ass attempts, but I was at the point where I had to do it.

The next 3 days are only what I could describe as hell. I had the shivers, insomnia, the shits, puking, splitting headaches, loss of balance, etc. On the 3rd day, I had a mini-stroke (transient ischemetic attack - spelling may be off). I was rushed to the ER and had a shitload of tests done. It wasn't anything permanent or long term, but it was a result from drinking. Most people get seizures, but I had a mini-stroke.

Anyways, I got through it. Getting through that first week is definitely a test of willpower. If I could do it all over again, I would not have quit cold turkey. It costs me more for the ER visit and neurologist visit than it would have to go to detox/rehab.

So to answer your question, I believe there are degrees of alcoholism and degrees of withdrawal. What you are having is not bad. There is a laundry list of alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but it sounds like you don't have most of them. It's hard to tell where you are at without a lot of details, but I think it's safe to say that you have a problem with alcohol.

Interesting stuff Oblivian, thanks for taking time to type that. Obviously, my situation is nothing like yours as I am a 1 night a week drinker these days but as you say the anxiety, irritation, fatigue and overall annoyance tells me that maybe my heavy days are up. It has literally made working unbearable this and last week and that's off 1 heavy session 3 days earlier. Sucks to get older.

I'm actually impressed by Oblivian's performance.

Alcohol withrawals are in fact, deadly. And the primary cause of this is grandmaal seizures(may have the spelling wrong, but you know what I mean). In most cases, you'll see "mini-seizures" like what Oblivian mentioned well before it becomes deadly. What most people don't realize, is that "mini-seizures" can be as simple as an unprovoked reflex reactions(movement of the neck, movement of the legs). It's really not something you can explain in a few sentences.

If you don't feel that you can gradually reduce your alcohol consumption, then it might not be a horrible decision to talk to a doctor about prescribing a mild Benzodiazepine. That should allow you to quit drinking cold turkey and still avoid the withdrawal symptoms that are associated with doing so.

I think some people are getting the wrong end of the stick slightly. I don't have a drink problem as such, I basically like to enjoy my Saturday night without any real limits - I like to party with friends, girls and the rest of it. I don't think my situation really requires sedatives etc... or even Benzodiazepine as you suggested.

I just find it surprising how this has started happening to me.

The other thing that I noticed is that once I probably started to become an alcoholic, hangovers became awful. This may be the chicken or the egg type thing, but that's often what caused me to drink the next day. The cycle keeps going on. I had a lot of friends who I'm sure are alcoholics. It's basically the same with them. Horrible hangovers, drinking to cure hangovers, drinking to cure withdrawal symptoms, etc.

A horrible cycle.

Very interesting posts Oblivian.
At a less extreme level, I read that alchohol slows down fat oxidation and slows protein synthesis, sounds like a nightmare if you are wanting to get in shape.

True, negates strength gains to an extent also. Mikemartial posted loads of alcohol studies back in the day.

Interesting topic.

I wouldn't say that I've ever had a drinking problem as such but maybe 3-4 years ago I would binge drink on most Fridays and Saturdays though.

More recently, I have cut back to a maximum of once a month. I am 27 and I too was feeling like it was taking me 2-3 days to get back to full health mentally and physically. I too would say that I was quite irrateable.

Now I am just taking it easy and not drinking to get drunk. I might have one or two if I am out and about on the weekends but TBH most times I am happy drinking non-alcoholic drinks. Cheaper and healthier :) win/win

I think some people are getting the wrong end of the stick slightly. I don't have a drink problem as such, I basically like to enjoy my Saturday night without any real limits - I like to party with friends, girls and the rest of it. I don't think my situation really requires sedatives etc... or even Benzodiazepine as you suggested.

Then I have no reason to take you seriously. Honestly, I think you need a beer.

Then I have no reason to take you seriously. Honestly, I think you need a beer.

:icon_chee

Did I type that comment out loud? What I meant to say, was that you should try getting into a normal sleep pattern and see how you feel once you've been able to get a full night's rest. I don't believe you mentioned a lack of sleep, but binge drinking and poor sleeping habits tend to go hand-in-hand.

Most people underestimate the impact that a full night's rest has on our psyche....

I think the way alcohol affects people and alcoholism are as individual as the people themselves. For instance...there are a LOT of alcoholics in their 50's and 60's who exactly fit the description of someone who is still an alcoholic even if they haven't touched a drink in 5 years. Why? because they know that if they were to ever try to have just one drink it would turn into 5 and then 10 until they were the same drunk they were 5 years earlier. These are the people who can't say no if they get a taste. These are the people who have zero control. Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't be a social drinker after having had a bout with alcoholism. You can't put everyone under the same blanket.

Earlier someone said something about how the clear liquors like vodka are easier on you than say whiskey. NOT true for me. Vodka fucks me up something awful, and it is the only thing I actually can get a hangover on after not even having very much. I can drink a lot more whisky than vodka any day. Also..if I'm drinking beer, I'd better not mix it with anything else or I'll be puking. I don't understand how someone can puke, and then have another drink, or even THINK about drinking when they are hung over. I could never do that in a million years. After I puked drinking, I couldn't drink anything for at least 2 months afterward and had zero desire.

I haven't actually been drunk in years now. Now I drink for the taste and the enjoyment of the craftsmanship in many different spirits. Fot me drinkingwas never about filling some void in my life. I think that's where people run into problems. I've also drank every day before for months and didn't consider myself to have a drinking problem. I think a beer or 2 after work daily if you want to and a few watching the game on the weekend is fine. The question I asked myself when I went through my period of wondering whether I had an issue or not was...do I just feel like drinking or do I need to drink? To answer that I quit cold turkey for a couple months to see how bad I would miss it or how often I would think about it. It sucked on weekends when all my friends were having a few and I forced myself not to have any, but I never experienced any withdrawl symptoms, thought about it all the time or binged when I allowed myself to go back to it. Since I've changed my ideas on how to enjoy a drink, I've saved a lot of money and I feel a lot more fulfillment and satisfaction, and after 1 or 2, I don't even want any more.

I think the way alcohol affects people and alcoholism are as individual as the people themselves. For instance...there are a LOT of alcoholics in their 50's and 60's who exactly fit the description of someone who is still an alcoholic even if they haven't touched a drink in 5 years. Why? because they know that if they were to ever try to have just one drink it would turn into 5 and then 10 until they were the same drunk they were 5 years earlier. These are the people who can't say no if they get a taste. These are the people who have zero control. Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't be a social drinker after having had a bout with alcoholism. You can't put everyone under the same blanket.

Earlier someone said something about how the clear liquors like vodka are easier on you than say whiskey. NOT true for me. Vodka fucks me up something awful, and it is the only thing I actually can get a hangover on after not even having very much. I can drink a lot more whisky than vodka any day. Also..if I'm drinking beer, I'd better not mix it with anything else or I'll be puking. I don't understand how someone can puke, and then have another drink, or even THINK about drinking when they are hung over. I could never do that in a million years. After I puked drinking, I couldn't drink anything for at least 2 months afterward and had zero desire.

I haven't actually been drunk in years now. Now I drink for the taste and the enjoyment of the craftsmanship in many different spirits. Fot me drinkingwas never about filling some void in my life. I think that's where people run into problems. I've also drank every day before for months and didn't consider myself to have a drinking problem. I think a beer or 2 after work daily if you want to and a few watching the game on the weekend is fine. The question I asked myself when I went through my period of wondering whether I had an issue or not was...do I just feel like drinking or do I need to drink? To answer that I quit cold turkey for a couple months to see how bad I would miss it or how often I would think about it. It sucked on weekends when all my friends were having a few and I forced myself not to have any, but I never experienced any withdrawl symptoms, thought about it all the time or binged when I allowed myself to go back to it. Since I've changed my ideas on how to enjoy a drink, I've saved a lot of money and I feel a lot more fulfillment and satisfaction, and after 1 or 2, I don't even want any more.
Comment is too long in text. Cliffs?

Did I type that comment out loud? What I meant to say, was that you should try getting into a normal sleep pattern and see how you feel once you've been able to get a full night's rest. I don't believe you mentioned a lack of sleep, but binge drinking and poor sleeping habits tend to go hand-in-hand.

Most people underestimate the impact that a full night's rest has on our psyche....

Very perseptive. Sleep has been an issue for years, although as I mentioned it's not due to an alcohol problem specifically, more anxiety issues that have thankfully improved over time.

Very perseptive. Sleep has been an issue for years, although as I mentioned it's not due to an alcohol problem specifically, more anxiety issues that have thankfully improved over time.

I really don't know if a combination of fish oil pills by day, and melatonin capsules by night will do it for you. But if that's not doing the trick, you should see a doctor.

Would you prefer a metallic taste in your mouth, or not being able to sleep?

Where I grew up back in New Jersey, drinking several days a week is the norm for a lot of people. It's completely a social thing. if you're going to go out at night, it's to the bar, club, or a party. There's always an excuse to drink. Thursdays, fridays, and saturdays were normal party nights, followed by "sunday funday", and happy hour at the bar on monday. It takes a HUGE toll on your body. everytime I visit I gain weight, feel like shit, and dehydrate. Not to mention the impact on my wallet. I rarely drink anymore.

Where I grew up back in New Jersey, drinking several days a week is the norm for a lot of people. It's completely a social thing. if you're going to go out at night, it's to the bar, club, or a party. There's always an excuse to drink. Thursdays, fridays, and saturdays were normal party nights, followed by "sunday funday", and happy hour at the bar on monday. It takes a HUGE toll on your body. everytime I visit I gain weight, feel like shit, and dehydrate. Not to mention the impact on my wallet. I rarely drink anymore.
How did you think that was productive?

I really don't know if a combination of fish oil pills by day, and melatonin capsules by night will do it for you. But if that's not doing the trick, you should see a doctor.

Would you prefer a metallic taste in your mouth, or not being able to sleep?

Thanks for the advice man but to be honest I just go through spells. Personally, I found that ZMA with valerian root worked best for helping me sleep. Others rave over GABA, some people metatonin etc...

I just want to stress guys that I'm not having any major issues here, just a combination of work stress, perhaps a little CNS overtraining and this horrible alcohol wiuthdrawal making me ratty. I actually slept 8.5 hours uninterupted last night, so can't be so bad. Plan on taking at least the rest of the month off booze.

towards the end of my marine corps career i developed an insane drinking habit..im 23 now and in college, i dont feel the need to drink everyday but when i do i have absolutley no brakes and i have regularly blacked out n alienated and lost many friends, its tough ive sought help but the only thing that works for me is not bein a pussy n just sayin no. i have vowed to be the cool dude at the club with a bottle of water n if a chick asks whats up il tell her the truth, im an amateur fighter or at the bar with a highball glass of water that looks like a clear drink..drinkin has racked me up an embarrising number of amount of hospital bills from passin out on the street like 6or7 times, its been a bitch i tell ya. but im still here n im still positive and im thankful for all the ppl in my life n the ppl i have yet to meet n the fact im healthy as fuck despite all my best efforts to self destruct

o yea and if it makes u feel better ts, i doubt ur hangovers are worse than mine

Back