Alan Belcher: Did you honestly feel that Okami was out when you threw the elbow?

Alan dropping back for those guillotines when he knows that Okami 1) is very hard to sub, and 2) has a ridiculous top-game was pretty stupid, in my arm-chair hindsight. If it worked it would have been awesome, but I think we can all agree it wasn't the best move tactically.

Playing footsie with Palhares was pretty fucking stupid too but it worked out for him. Unfortunately, he seemed to have been too overconfident in this bout. A pity because his standup is light years above Thunder's.

watching live I thought he was out. I even mentioned it to my buddy but now I'm not sure.

I think he was too confident, he was pretty much looking past Okami - seemed more concerned with baiting Bisping, he wont fall too far down the ladder though.

I don't think he was even the slightest bit rocked, same as the Vera/Silva elbow.

Looks more like he dropped his head down to avoid eating another big elbow like that. It looks like he adjusts his left foot/leg to make sure the body triangle is still locked in when he is allegedly "out".

this is the most stupid thing i have read for quite a while

Well as others have said, if Belcher thought Okami was out wouldn't he have scrambled to get out under him?

Looking at the gif I don't think Okami was out. Stunned and wobbled yes, but not out.

However lastnight watching the fight I was very worried about that elbow. I did think there was a possibility that it was enough to stun Okami badly and allow Belcher to get up and win the fight.

Alan definitely made mistakes that were out of character, but I'm sure if Okami were truely out Alan would have got on top... There was blood in the water a few times last night, and alan usually swarms on it. Not sure what was holding him back last night, but I'm sure there was some reason. I'm looking forward to his reply, and Still a fan for life! I'm sure Alan will come back from this 100x's better as he always does.

It's also easy to forget this, but Alan damn near KO'd Okami with every clean shot, inlcuding one from under the mount! never seen someone do that before. Alan is dangerous to anyone, and I'm sure now more than ever he'll work to take his wrestling to the top level.

Alan definitely made mistakes that were out of character, but I'm sure if Okami were truely out Alan would have got on top... There was blood in the water a few times last night, and alan usually swarms on it. Not sure what was holding him back last night, but I'm sure there was some reason. I'm looking forward to his reply, and Still a fan for life! I'm sure Alan will come back from this 100x's better as he always does.

It's also easy to forget this, but Alan damn near KO'd Okami with every clean shot, inlcuding one from under the mount! never seen someone do that before. Alan is dangerous to anyone, and I'm sure now more than ever he'll work to take his wrestling to the top level.

Still waiting for you to tell us all in that other thread how we don't understand the ground game now that the fight's happened and you were dead wrong.

I think he was too confident, he was pretty much looking past Okami - seemed more concerned with baiting Bisping, he wont fall too far down the ladder though.

yep this. Was firstly overly confident in his BJJ after that great performance against Palhares (but Palhares grappling is completely different style to Okami), and secondly was too busy talking about wanting to fight straight away after beating Okami. Kept going on about stepping in for Belfort to fight Bisping!

Still waiting for you to tell us all in that other thread how we don't understand the ground game now that the fight's happened and you were dead wrong.

Search function is not working, so I can't even find it. If you think Palhares' grappling is overrated you don't understand the ground game, that's plain and simple. Okami's top control is great though, and I was even more impressed by how good he was on his back. he clearly covered his bases for this fight in training.

If you look at my prediction you'll see I wasn't really that far off. I said Okami would get on top and control for a while, and even win the first. If Belcher followed up on the right hand in the 2nd like he normally does in the second round my prediction would have been pin point accurate, and you'd be avoiding every thread I post in (even though I wouldn't care). However, he held back and Okami recovered. It was out of character for Alan to let someone recover like that.

You'll also notice that Belcher reversed all of Okami's takedown attampts from the clinch, except for the ones where he decided to try for a guillotine. Which I also predicted accurately.

I was wrong in the fact that Belcher didn't finish when he got on top, and had Okami hurt. I definitely underestimated Okami's guard game/positional defense, and slightly underestimate Okami's top control; he is definitely still improving. Note that I didn't just pick a winner and give a vague description of what could happen like you. I actually broke the fight down into details which were mostly accurate.

I don't think he was even the slightest bit rocked, same as the Vera/Silva elbow.

:rolleyes:

Yeah he probably never got rocked the whole fight. There were probably banana peels in the ring that kept making Okami slip whenever Alan landed a clean shot.

Search function is not working, so I can't even find it. If you think Palhares' grappling is overrated you don't understand the ground game, that's plain and simple. Okami's top control is great though, and I was even more impressed by how good he was on his back. he clearly covered his bases for this fight in training.

If you look at my prediction you'll see I wasn't really that far off. I said Okami would get on top and control for a while, and even win the first. If Belcher followed up on the right hand in the 2nd like he normally does in the second round my prediction would have been pin point accurate, and you'd be avoiding every thread I post in (even though I wouldn't care). However, he held back and Okami recovered. It was out of character for Alan to let someone recover like that.

You'll also notice that Belcher reversed all of Okami's takedown attampts from the clinch, except for the ones where he decided to try for a guillotine. Which I also predicted accurately.

I was wrong in the fact that Belcher didn't finish when he got on top, and had Okami hurt. I definitely underestimated Okami's guard game/positional defense, and slightly underestimate Okami's top control; he is definitely still improving. Note that I didn't just pick a winner and give a vague description of what could happen like you. I actually broke the fight down into details which were mostly accurate.

Fair enough, I'm just giving you a hard time.

Only two comments I have are that I don't think Palhares' ground game is overrated at all, I do think his ability to submit someone drops significantly if they can weather the early storm though. Even in fights he's winning this happens, I'd reference the Horn and Miller fights.

Second, it's hard for me to give you too much credit for predicting Belcher following up on a hard punch in the 2nd round (can't remember if you actually said that but I'll take your word for it) as that nice right hand that staggered Okami was preceded by arguably the worst stand up I've ever seen in MMA.

:rolleyes:

Yeah he probably never got rocked the whole fight. There were probably banana peels in the ring that kept making Okami slip whenever Alan landed a clean shot.

Nah, I just mean that one elbow. He wasn't rocked there, he obviously got hurt in that fight though.

When that happened, I thought he was definitely out.

I know that Alan's your boy and all, but imo it wasn't his wrestling. It was his decision making.

He actually reversed Okami's TD attempts and landed on top. He then jumped for the guillotine repeatedly in the scramble following. After that Okami's top game was too much.

IMO, either he needs to work the clinch more, off his back more, or his decision making. I'm not saying he should have won the fight, but he sure should have had a better showing. I love that Alan was going for the finish constantly, and I fight similarly, which cost me my first fight.

He'll be back though

Sounds like you like to masturbate to your reflection in the mirror.

I predicted Belcher to KO/TKO Okami in the 2nd after getting smothered by Okami in the 1st. And I predicted Belcher to be able to reverse Okami TD's at least a couple times prior to that TKO.

I was wrong anyways. I think that was a common prediction, nothing special. Okami's chin is shot, Belcher has good grappling/striking, Okami has good top control/grappling.

iThe64rAI3xgC.gif

Someone get Belcher to respond to this! I think this is the most overlooked moment for UFC 155!

Looks more like he dropped his head down to avoid eating another big elbow like that. It looks like he adjusts his left foot/leg to make sure the body triangle is still locked in when he is allegedly "out".

Good catch!

Back