Alan Aragon's Research Review

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by KILL KILL, Aug 5, 2010.

1. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Do any of you subscribe to the blog? Those of you not familiar about Alan Aragon, he made the "conversations with a bro" videos that are on youtube and were discussed on here a while back.

Anyway the guy seems legit, but much of his advice goes against the increasingly popular zero carb and paleo diets that many people here believe so much in. I feel like the more I research nutrition, the more conflicting information I find.

2. largemansmay***

largemansmay*** Black Belt

I trust Alan Aragon more than people talking about zero carb. Vegetables and nuts are two of the healthiest things you can eat in the world, and any diet plan that excludes them (unless it is for some sort of specific reason like an allergy) is not optimal.

3. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald are kind of grouped together in my mind. They are both the type to meticulously comb over studies and research. The AARR is a prime example of that. Both of their writings are more geared towards bodybuilder-types than I would like, though.

4. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Paleo isn't zero carb it's more like zero grain. I agree some Paleo people are cultish in their beliefs but I think there is some legit points we can take from paleo. I think they are extreme in some of their views. There are several modern foods that are nutritious and good for you. Take milk for example. Whole milk is very nutritious and healthy especially for growing children ( I know this is highly debatable). Paleo cultists will say no milk never but it is healthy and good for most children.

5. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I have noticed that too but he does advise many professional athletes and even some olympians. The man does his research. I definately think I'll subscribe

6. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I follow a paleo-ish diet. I try to stay away from starches to try to induce ketosis, but I do have cheat days and do drink milk. I have yet to figure out if cheat days will impact the adaption to ketosis in the body though. I love food so it is tough to rid myself of many foods that "caveman diet experts" say I should.

7. largemansmay***

largemansmay*** Black Belt

If it is any consolation just about every study I have seen about whole grains says that they help promote heart health, reduce the risk of cancer, etc.

8. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I just read a little further into detail and I love the hatred Aragon has for t-muscle, biotest, surge, and the ANACONDA protocol which I also believe is all crap. It's sad that soo many people buy into garbage like that.

9. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Yes, whole grains are indeed more healthy than the shitty processed white bread that most people make a habit out of eating. I am sure that almost none or none of the studies you have seen on the subject were done with a control group of people who did not consume grains at all.

10. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

11. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

I don't think this forum really advocates 'paleo' dieting for everyone. It is generally looked on as one option for people who are overweight and otherwise 'unhealthy.' Diets should be designed to fit individual needs and goals (as well as enough leeway for eating as pleasure).

Rational choices based on specific situations will always be better than dogma based prescriptions (which any diet 'trend' or 'philosophy' can quickly become).

12. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I agree very much with what you say. What I meant was that it has become an increasingly popular diet choice for many of the people on this forum.

13. adoniscomplex

adoniscomplex Orange Belt

i wish his research review wasnt over 100 bucks a year

its a little much

14. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I just re-read that old thread. Lulz.

15. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

which one? The conversations witha bro? I have that saved as one of my favorites

16. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member