Alan Aragon article I copied

Sure there is. Unless it is copyrighted I will copy and paste it where I like. Just like people can do to my blog.

Numerous times I said who wrote it and how great I thought it was. Might be different if I wasn't differing a superior knowledge to the guy.

Until you are a mod, don't try to practice preaching Policy.

Sorry guys, alan posted it originally and only on the bodybuilding.com forums. So either you source the original or you copy it.

It grinds my gears because it isn't just amateur, it can be sleazy and misleading. You could have changed something in his post and the people reading this wouldn't know. The original could be updated and people reading this wouldn't know. In the real world you can't get away with just copying and pasting things willy nilly.

If you want to do things right, just link the original source next time, that's it, no way around it.

I think you just have reading comprehension issues, man. I don't know why it bothers you so much.

He makes a post talking about some dude he finds has good material, writes his name, then posts the article.

When you write a paper for college and source a book some dude wrote, you don't buy a copy of the book and turn it in to the professor. You write the name of the book and the author, and if the professor cares, he can look-up the source himself.

If anything, I think it is more mature to NOT plug some bodybuilding site, just to make people aware of Alan Aragon's words. It isn't as if the article was posted and being claimed as original work by Alan. Vedic clearly says that Alan is something of a nutritional buff and the fact that Vedic respects the words of Alan and finds him to be very credible as a writer.

Did you just not read the post, or what?

edit:
Title - Alan Aragon article I copied
Introduction - For those that don't know I find Alan to be one of the smartest in the field of sports nutrition. Top five to me. So when he speaks I listen. Here are some of his thoughts on pre and PWO. Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Either way is fine. There is a policy about not promoting other websites in the Sherdog forums, but it's aimed at other MMA sites, and enforced on a case-by-case basis.

Reposting an article saves readers from opening up another browser or tab. A completely minor issue, and more of a courtesy. When I post, sometimes it's the article/study, sometimes just the link.

An easy remedy to this issue (which really is a non-issue, IMO) is to post the article, and then the original link at the end.

alan aragon knows his stuff

I posted one of his articles on sweet potatoes vs white potatoes, and everyone said it was BS :rolleyes: white potatoes ftw

alan aragon knows his stuff

I posted one of his articles on sweet potatoes vs white potatoes, and everyone said it was BS :rolleyes: white potatoes ftw

Did you post it on this site? I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Here it is monger.

5 Food Rules to Break - MSN Health & Fitness - Fitness

Seems pretty lame to just say, "ya, its high GI, but we usually pile fat on top so it's cool." Although now AA says he doesn't even care about GI.

Thanks for the link. Alan Aragon is a really informative guy. Does anyone know if he's got a blog? I'm interested to read it.

I do think it is kind of lame to add piles of fat to high GI foods to lower the GI, but if were talking real sour cream and decent cheese, it really isn't all too bad for you. Obviously we need healthy fats, too. Adding a slice of shit american singles obviously won't be very good for you. I guess for me the point is moot anyway, since I don't really eat dairy or faux-dairy items, other than butter.

The main reason I think it's dumb is that the only time I'm gonna be eating potatoes is PWO, when I don't want fat anyway.

Although now AA says he doesn't even care about GI.

Thanks for the link. In regards to the comment above, I was under the impression that Alan no longer cared about the GI of carbs in reference to peri-WO carbs only. I thought he stated that science hasn't been able to prove any particular GI of carb to be better than another in terms of recovery and that's why he doesn't care about GI peri-WO. That was my take anyway. I still think GI or, probably more importantly, glycemic load definitely matters in daily nutrition.

The article its self was interesting. I can't say that I learned anything new from it but it was interesting, nonetheless. I liked reading his
Myth #4: "High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is more fattening than regular sugar is."
. I've discussed that with people on these boards before and some individuals still insist that there's some evil secret ingredient in HFCS besides glucose and fructose.

The potato thing makes sense to me. It sounds like his bottom line is just that they both have pros and cons and in the end it's a wash.

The potato thing makes sense to me. It sounds like his bottom line is just that they both have pros and cons and in the end it's a wash.

I guess I don't see the cons of sweet potatoes? I guess they don't have as many micronutrients, but that's like saying screw fruit because it doesn't have enough protein.

I guess I don't see the cons of sweet potatoes? I guess they don't have as many micronutrients, but that's like saying screw fruit because it doesn't have enough protein.

By cons I was referring to GI and the carb content of spuds in general and not cons of sweet potatoes vs. white potatoes. Even the GI and carbs may not be a con depending on timing and one's goals. For you to eat them PWO, there probably is no con. For an obese person desperately trying to lose weigh with severe insulin insensitivity... it's probably a pretty big con.

The point that I was trying to make is just that I think Allen was trying to say it doesn't really matter which you chose in the big picture.

Finally read this piece and I must say that given what I've read from Alan recently I really respect his opinions. I like the fact that he strips a lot of the complexity out of the whole "optimal pre/peri/post" WO nutrition. This reminds me very heavily of Beradi's G-flux philosophy (I think it's his, anyway).

I think instead of worrying my head so much about what shake to take and its composition, I should just time my meals a little more accurately.

I thought I saw an article where he recommended fats PWO. I cant find it now. Does anyone want to correct me?

EDIT: I had it in a Word doc. Sorry for no source link.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Effect on 24-hr Glycogen Resynthesis A common recommendation in sports and fitness circles is to avoid or minimize fat intake immediately after training, a time popularly called the

They are only saying it doesn't block nutrient absorption. We already knew that lol. What I am saying and why you don't do fat PWO is fat is MOBILIZED from exercise. Ingesting fat will cause a traffic jam amongst the two leaving some for adipose tissue deposit.

lol! duh, Im so stupid. Now I see. I guess I was reading so much yesterday that I confused my tiny brain. Thanks again Mr. Vedic. You da man! lol!

Thanks for the article Vedic. I've actually got that last little page he has, about the pre/post WO nutrition marked for easy reference.

My only confusion is that he has pre/periWO listed as 1:1 carb:protein, but in reading JB's Grappler's Guide, he implies to go with the same 2:1 pre/peri that you would go PWO. So I guess I'm a little confused on what the preWO should actually be.

I think one source of confusion is that Alan is saying 1:1 *PRE* workout, and he makes that clear. He also says to continue this *DURING* (i.e. peri) training, if it lasts as long as a typical BJJ class does.

However, JB never really distinguishes the time difference between preWO nutrition from periWO nutrition. He just says to sip a liquid carb protein drink *immediately prior to or during exercise*. Also, drink something similar after exercise. He recommends this as the 2:1 product (i.e. BioSurge). :icon_chee

So the real confusion comes in when I ask myself what should I be drinking during breaks? I do think the 1:1 should be a preWO coming from Alan's guidelines. A meal if it's 60-90 minutes before training, a liquid if it's 30 minutes before training. And of course 2:1 after. But the thought of sipping protein during water breaks at BJJ seems nasty. I keep wanting to go with a pure Gatorade drink peri-WO (i.e. during training).

I guess it boils down to peri-WO being an undefined period is what gets me. Most people imply it as a grey area around the time of workout.

cheath,

There will always be confusion and varying opinions on carb to protein ratio because it's highly dependant on variables such as individual goals, insulin sensitivity, training duration, and the glycogen depleting nature of the training. Most studies seem to use endurance activities for their testing models... guys like Aragon and Berardi need to take those studies and try to make real world recommendations for guys who don

Most of the time its splitting hairs. Adjust carb and fat consumption based on exercise output and recovery. Monger hit it all on the head perfectly.

So where is the fat absorbed to if not in the intestines? Is this right? Just want to make sure since Im a little confused. Sorry.

Fat is absorbed lymphaticaly, everything is in the intestines, but funtion diffently.

Here is some text.

Functions of GI organs
The GI tract begins at the mouth, where digestion begins with chewing. Saliva containing mucus and the enzyme amylase is secreted from 3 pairs of salivary glands, located in the head. Mucus moistens the food and amylase partially digests polysaccharides (starches). Food then reaches the stomach through the pharynx and eso****us.
The stomach is the sac that stores and digests food macromolecules into a solution called chyme. Glands lining the stomach secrete hydrochloric acid that dissolves food particles and protein-digesting enzymes, called pepsin.
Final stages of digestion and most of the nutrient absorption occurs in next portion of the tract: the small intestine. The small intestine is divided into 3 segments - duodenum, jejunum, and ileum.
The pancreas is a gland located behind the stomach. From its exocrine portion it secretes (1) digestive enzymes and (2) a fluid rich in HCO3- ions to neutralize the acid from stomach. The liver secretes bile. Bile contains HCO3- ions and bile salts to solubilize fats. Bile reaches the gall bladder through hepatic ducts and is stored in the gall bladder between meals. During a meal, bile is secreted from the gland by smooth muscle contraction and reaches the duodenum portion of the small intestine by the common bile duct.
Monosaccharides, amino acids and mineral salts are absorbed by transporter-mediated processes while fatty acid water diffuse passively.
Undigested material is passed to large intestine, where it is temporarily stored and concentrated by reabsorption of salts and water. Finally, contractions of rectum, the last part of large intestine, expel the feces through the anus.

Structure of GI Tract Wall
The luminar surface is covered by a single layer of epithelium containing exocrine and endocrine cells. The exocrine cells disintegrate and discharge into the lumen, releasing their enzymes. The epithelia with an underlying layer of connective tissue (lamnia propia) and muscle (muscularis mucosa) are called mucosa. Below the mucosa is a layer of inner circular and outer longitudinal smooth muscle called muscularis externa, which provides the forces for moving and mixing the GI contents. The outermost layer of the tube is made up of connective tissue called serosa. The luminar surface of the tube is highly convoluted into projections called villi and microvilli; both of which increase total surface area for absorption. The center of each villus has a single blunt-ended lymphatic vessel called lacteal. Venous drainage from the intestine transports absorbed materials to the liver for processing via the hepatic portal vein.
Digestion and Absorption

Carbohydrate
Digestion begins in the mouth by salivary amylase and completed in the small intestine by pancreatic amylase. Monosaccharides, such as glucose, galactose and fructose, are produced by the breakdown of polysaccharides and are transported to the intestinal epithelium by facilitated diffusion or active transport. Facilitated diffusion moves the sugars to the bloodstream.

Protein
Proteins are broken down to peptide fragments by pepsin in the stomach, and by pancreatic trypsin and chemotrypsin in the small intestine. The fragments are then digested to free amino acids by carboxypeptidase from the pancreas and aminopeptidase from the intestinal epithelium. Free amino acids enter the epithelium by secondary active transport and leave it by facilitated diffusion. Small amounts of intact proteins can enter interstitial fluid by endo- and exocytosis.

Fat
Fat digestion occurs by pancreatic lipase in small intestine. A monoglyceride and two fatty acids are produced in the digestive process. Large lipid droplets are first broken down into smaller droplets, by a process called emulsification. Emulsification is driven by mechanical disruption (by contractile activity of GI tract) and emulsifying agents (amphipathic bile salts). Pancreatic colipase binds the water-soluble lipase to the lipid substrate.
Digested products and bile salts form amphipathic micelles. These micelles keep the insoluble products in soluble aggregates from which small amounts are released and absorbed by epithelial cells via diffusion. Free fatty acids and monoglycerides then recombine into triacylglycerols at the smooth ER, are processed further in the Golgi and enter the interstitial fluid as droplets called chylomicrons, which are then taken up by the lacteals in the intestine.

Vitamins
Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed and stored along with fats. Most water-soluble vitamins are absorbed by diffusion or mediated transport. Vitamin B12, because of its large size and charged nature, first binds to a protein, called intrinsic factor, which is secreted by the stomach epithelium, and is then absorbed by endocytosis.

Back