ALADDIN Live-Action Movie (Full Trailer Released)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 15, 2017

Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott Announced as the Stars for Guy Ritchie's ALADDIN

mena-massoud-naomi-scott.jpg

Relative newcomer Mena Massoud and Power Rangers star Naomi Scott have booked a flight on a magic carpet ride.

Massoud has secured the coveted role of Aladdin while Scott will be playing Jasmine in the Guy Ritchie-directed Aladdin movie. The announcement came at D23 Saturday. The duo join the only other talent cast for the Disney musical, Will Smith, who will be playing the Genie.

The casting news comes days after The Hollywood Reporter looked into the months-long search for the leads, which included casting directors stationed in multiple countries and testing over 2,000 actors of the roles.While there was interest in names like Dev Patel and Riz Ahmed, Disney ultimately went with an unknown to play their Prince Ali.

Aladdin is set to begin shooting in August in London. Disney is currently on the hunt for villain Jafar, who will likely be played by a name actor. Other roles yet to be filled include the Sultan and Jafar's sidekick Iago.

Aladdin will be the latest installment in Disney's long-line of lucrative live-action adaptations of their classic animations, which include the upcoming Mulan movie, from director Niki Caro, and Jon Favreau's Lion King.

Massoud — who was born in Egypt and raised in Canada — is part of the cast of Amazon's Jack Ryan series starring John Krasinski, and previously appeared in the TeenNick series Open Heart.

Scott — a British actress and singer whose mother is from northern India — has also appeared in the film The 33 and the Fox series Terra Nova.

'Aladdin': Disney Remake Finds Its Leads

Comments: Wow. This is the 3rd time my fancasting came true [Link].

0my7TUN.gif

Update: July 10, 2017

Disney Struggles to Find Stars for Its Live-Action ALADDIN Movie

frH4leL.png

Disney’s magic carpet ride has hit a bit of turbulence.

The studio and Aladdin director Guy Ritchie launched a global casting call in March to find the stars for the musical based on the hit 1992 animated film about a street kid who teams with a genie to woo the princess Jasmine.

Disney, Ritchie and casting director Randi Hiller brought on casting agents around the world, from London to Egypt to Abu Dhabi and India, for what sources say is a massive global search: Around 2,000 actors and actresses have read for the lead roles of Jasmine and Aladdin.

But finding a male lead in his 20s who can act and sing has proven difficult — especially since the studio wants someone of Middle-Eastern or Indian descent (the animated film is set in the fictional Middle Eastern city of Agrabah). The original casting call specified that production was slated to begin by July, but the search has dragged on, with Disney and Ritchie having to go back to the drawing board multiple times.

Sources say there have been several rounds of tests in London, with the actors coming in for up to two weeks at a time. “The test process was a mess,” says one agent with a client who tested.

While the studio had interest in Dev Patel, 27, and Riz Ahmed, 34, the male lead will likely be a newcomer. Sources say the studio is eyeing Power Rangers actress Naomi Scott, 24, or Indian actress Tara Sutaria, 21, to play Jasmine, but can’t lock the deal until the male lead has been selected since chemistry is so important to the story. (Will Smith is signed on to play the Genie, and sources say the studio is after known names for the role of the villain Jafar).

Among the newcomers who were still in the running for the riffraff/street rat in the most recent rounds of testing were Dutch actor Achraf Koutet, Canadian actor Mena Massoud and American George Kosturos.

As the search has dragged on (sources say the filmmakers went back to dig through the tapes once again when the most recent round of testing did not go well), the studio has brought on two movie-musical veterans to consult on the project: Marc Platt, who has a strong background in producing musicals and worked on Disney’s upcoming Mary Poppins Returns; and Chris Montan, a longtime executive music producer for Disney’s animated project such as Pocahontas, Toy Story, Hercules and Frozen.

The lengthy casting process could be a promising sign, however. Disney has had success with previous extensive casting searches for its live-action fare, from Lily James as Cinderella to Daisy Ridley as Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and insiders say the studio's delay in landing Aladdin is due to its determination to get the casting right for such a beloved and iconic character.

With shooting for Aladdin now planned to start in August, Disney may have to use all three of its wishes to find its diamond in the rough.

'Aladdin': Disney Struggles to Find Stars for Its Live-Action Movie

Comments: I scare myself with how my casting is on point sometimes. Case in point [Link].

Update: April 19, 2017

Will Smith in Talks to Play the Genie in Guy Ritchie's Live-Action ALADDIN Movie

2Ygx0xc.jpg

Will Smith is in talks to take on the genie role made famous by the late Robin Williams in Disney’s live-action Aladdin from Guy Ritchie, Deadline reports.

The adaptation of the animated feature follows the studio’s strategy of bringing its classic animated titles to life and so far it has been a goldmine, most recently with Beauty and the Beast which has already grossed over $1B worldwide.

Smith had previously been in talks with Tim Burton about Dumbo but that did not materialize and sources say these talks are also early.

Like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin will be a live-action musical and that would fit well with Smith who is not only an actor but was known to the world for his musical prowess as The Fresh Prince rapper before he hit the little or big screen. The production is gearing up for a long, six-month shoot, so that is one consideration. It is supposed to start in the U.K. in July and wrap early next year.

John August (Big Fish) scripted the story based on the 1992 animated classic and follows the story of Aladdin and Princess Jasmine after the commoner Aladdin finds a magic lamp and, upon shining it up, a genie is released from being trapped inside. The bigger-than-life genie then grants Aladdin three wishes.

Will Smith In Talks For Genie Role In Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ (Exclusive)

Update: October 10, 2016

Guy Ritchie to Direct Disney's Live-Action ALADDIN Movie

9nhw4va.jpg

Guy Ritchie, the stylistic director behind the Robert Downey Jr-starring Sherlock Holmes movies, is in negotiations to helm Disney’s live-action adaptation of its 1992 animated classic Aladdin.

Dan Lin, who was a producer on the Holmes movies for Warner Bros., is producing what Disney touts will be an ambitious and non-traditional take on Aladdin via his Lin Pictures banner. Jonathan Eirich will executive produce the movie and oversee it for Lin Pictures.

The 1992 movie was part of Disney’s animation renaissance and retold the Middle Eastern-set folk tale of a young man granted three wishes by a genie trapped in a lamp and the evil sorcerer who covets the magical object.

The genie was voiced by Robin Williams, who won audiences over with his unrestrained performance, making Aladdin the highest-grossing film of the year. The movie also won Oscars for best score and best song, the latter for "A Whole New World," one of the pic’s six songs.

John August wrote the script for the live-action version, which sources say will keep many of the musical elements of the original. Still to be determined is the approach to the Genie, which to this day remains closely associated to Williams' singular and defining performance.

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Enlists Guy Ritchie to Direct

Update: March 5, 2017

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting Vol. 16: Disney's ALADDIN

Since this is a Walt Disney live-action adaptation of Aladdin, it's expected that a young cast will reprise the main roles. The actors I've chosen for the leads are age appropriate (meaning not in their 30s and onward) and have a singing and dance background if this turns out to be a musical.

AVAN JOGIA as ALADDIN
2K0sAaK.jpg

Avan Jogia was the first actor that popped into my head when they first announced the Aladdin movie. The 5'10 actor is best known for his stints in Nickelodeon's Victorious and ABC's Twisted.

NAOMI SCOTT as PRINCESS JASMINE
Nzm0uh9.jpg

I chose rising star Naomi Scott as Jasmine. The 23-year-old English (Indian descent) actress and singer has appeared in Fox's Terra Nova and will star in the upcoming Power Rangers movie.

SETH MACFARLANE as GENIE
dwpmxqe.jpg

Didn't go with Dan Castellaneta (who did the voice work for the sequels and spinoffs). Want someone bigger and bolder for the iconic role. I chose Seth MacFarlane because his voice acting work is impeccable. Aside from his rich, distinct voice, his comedic timing is spot on. And the man can sing.

TONY SHALHOUB as THE SULTAN
RrROTPv.jpg

Outstanding character actor Tony Shalhoub would be a great as the Sultan who is generally very childish and pompous, but extremely kind at his core. The 63-year-old actor was last seen in the cancelled CBS show BrainDead.

GILBERT GOTTFRIED as IAGO THE PARROT
tqxDpBy.jpg

This is a no-brainer. Who better to voice the antagonistic (turned good in sequels and spinoffs) parrot than the original voice actor Gilbert Gottfried.

AMIR ARISON as JAFAR
zREuSdC.jpg

Ben Kingsley would be cool but he has already done this type of role before in the Prince of Persia movie. Amir Arison might be a wuss in The Blacklist but he can be a very menacing villain if he wants to (see Homeland).

Guy Ritchie to Direct Disney's Live-Action ALADDIN Movie

Guy-Ritchie-Aladdin-Dragonlord.jpg

Guy Ritchie, the stylistic director behind the Robert Downey Jr-starring Sherlock Holmes movies, is in negotiations to helm Disney’s live-action adaptation of its 1992 animated classic Aladdin.

Dan Lin, who was a producer on the Holmes movies for Warner Bros., is producing what Disney touts will be an ambitious and non-traditional take on Aladdin via his Lin Pictures banner. Jonathan Eirich will executive produce the movie and oversee it for Lin Pictures.

The 1992 movie was part of Disney’s animation renaissance and retold the Middle Eastern-set folk tale of a young man granted three wishes by a genie trapped in a lamp and the evil sorcerer who covets the magical object.

The genie was voiced by Robin Williams, who won audiences over with his unrestrained performance, making Aladdin the highest-grossing film of the year. The movie also won Oscars for best score and best song, the latter for "A Whole New World," one of the pic’s six songs.

John August wrote the script for the live-action version, which sources say will keep many of the musical elements of the original. Still to be determined is the approach to the Genie, which to this day remains closely associated to Williams' singular and defining performance.

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Enlists Guy Ritchie to Direct

They're making Jasmine real?

My word.

They're making Jasmine real?

My word.

first off, Guy Ritchie seems like kind of an odd choice- but I'll go with it.

Second, I'm curious how the casting goes for that...

Third, gonna be tough to pull off the Genie as memorably as Robin Williams did.

I have a feeling they will get shit on by SJWs for the casting for this film.

I have a feeling they will get shit on by SJWs for the casting for this film.
Could just cast actual Arabian actors to do the movie and nip that in the bud right away.

"Oi Aladin, you wanking cunt! Quit playing wit yer bollocks!"

My prediction for the first line of dialogue in guy richie's Aladin.

The first 5 minutes of Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels is why Guy Ritchie is doing Aladdin. Aladdin is a wheeler dealer street urchin who gets chased by the law through back streets.

Live Action Aladin? Hmm should be interesting I could see it be similar to o the Prince of Persia movie.

They will cast Chris Pratt as Aladdin and Margot Robbie as Jasmine. The Sultan will be played by Anthony Hopkins but Jafar will be a legit middleeasterner, maybe they'll get Brashir from DS9

Could just cast actual Arabian actors to do the movie and nip that in the bud right away.
But if they're lighter skinned Arabian actors, shit storm will commence

If Jasmine is not a strong independent woman, and doesn't have a fight scene where she (a 100lb dame) takes out 10-50x 300lb goons, shit storm will commence

There needs to be a ghey character as well. Genie will probably have that role. If this doesn't happen. Shit storm.

If all the actors are lighter skinned, and Jafar is "dark" skinned, shit storm

If all the actors are lighter skinned, and Jafar is "dark" skinned, shit storm

Oh, please - I'm a brown guy and it's been hilarious watching white guys lose their shit over the idea of a black James Bond. Meanwhile, for the last 1000 years you've shoved a blue eyed, blonde, white Jesus even though he was a dark skinned Arab-looking fellow from the Middle East.

White washing in Hollywood is a real thing, and it's outdated.

Back