Alacrity Fitness Inc.

Alacrity

White Belt
Reaction score
Posting a workout log both for any pointers on exercise I should add etc, and to monitor my progress. I have been lifting and training like a fiend all summer and it has paid off. I lost 10 pounds initially and have now jumped back up to 10 pounds and all my exercise weights have increased anywhere from 10-20 pounds.

I was an athlete in high school and played intramural sports in college, but also did a lot of pizza eating and beer. Also blew out my ankle playing basketball and never really fully recovered until recently since I never worked out hard to fully recuperate. My upper body strength has always been sketchy, so I am attempting to fix that. My lower body strength is nothing compared to my high school stats, but they are getting back up there.

Cardio wise, I am in pretty good shape. Ran a 6:52 mile during a local event. Would have been closer to 6:40, but I started the event in the middle of the pack with my girl friend and got stuck behind lots of kids and moms pushing strollers full of babies. I frequently run 5+ miles or do interval sprinting at quarter mile intervals.

My real focus right now is really my strength, or lack of it.

Current stats:
Height - 6' 0"
Weight - 180 lbs

Five-rep maxes
Bench Press - 120 lbs (I do dumb bell bench presses, so that's 60 lbs per hand)
Squat - 185 lbs
Deadlift - 165 lbs
Overhead Press - 105 lbs

Christmas goals:
Bench press my body weight. Not a lot of time, but it's a reacher goal
Squat - Push up to 215 lbs
Deadlift - 200 lbs
Overhead press - 125 lbs
And just for fun, a handstand push up.

Current Routines *Days vary based on work schedule, I make sure to incorporate two days of rest, but given the nature of my job, those days fluctuate week to week based on what days I make it to the gym or on what days I know I wont make it to the gym.**

Two days upper body:
Bench Press - 3x5
Overhead press - 3x5
Dips - 3x5
Pull ups - 3x5
Push up into row - 3x5 (that's per arm, so 10 between the two that I have)

Two days lower body:
Squats - 3x5
Deadlift -3x5
Lunges - 3x5
Extended calf raises - 3x5 (that's per leg, or two between both legs. This is NOT to make my calves look sexy, they already are. I also play basketball and it's good for my jump and explosiveness in that sport.)

**I also include abs/core circuits on my lower body days.**

Two days of karate - which includes stand-up sparring or grappling. If it's a lighter day in karate I will do weight lifting afterward.

9/22/2010

Did about a thousand pushups in karate yesterday - Actually did 100 fingertip pushups but the sensei made sure it felt like more -so did lower body today even though I originally planned for upper body.

Pushed by deadlift up to 185 lbs, so now I am deadlifting my body weight.

I generally do my sets two at a time, so squats and extended calf raises and then I move on to deadlifts and lunges.

I see that some people mix there upper and lower body exercises together, so they may do benches and deads on one day and military presses and squats on another. Is there a benefit to that vs what I do, which is alternate lower and upper body exercises? I know my legs are feeling pretty exhausted when I hit my last set of lunges, but I am still making strides in strength though since I have moved from a max of about 40 pounds three months ago 60 pounds now **thats two 40 lb weights, or one per hand, now upped to two 60 lbs. or one per hand**

So you're doing 4 days of weights?

People do it differently to you because then the workload can be dispersed between 2-3 days and you can get in more volume per exercise (ie if you do 1 upperbody and assistance and 1 lowerbody and assistance on day 1, you can do it again another day and not be fatiqued in comparison to doing all of your lower body work in one day as exercise 2 will suffer).

That makes sense. I am going to do the Madcow 5x5 starting next Monday instead of doing a four-day lifting plan.

Would it be acceptable to add lunges to the Monday routine or would that be a bad idea. And also, would plans instead of situps be OK with the routine, or should I just stick to it as is?

I am assuming for assistance exercises I could really add anything I wanted if it worked on a targeted weakness right instead of just doing ab workouts?

Light lunges could be acceptable...but keep them light, for example 3 sets of walking lunges, or overhead lunges with just the bar. See how that goes first, and if it works, then gradually make the lunges more challenging.

First day of MadCow, first time ever doing a barbell row and what a fun workout. Mixing upper and lower really felt good, and I have never gone that hard with squats, or at least not that I can remember since high school.

Five sets of squats killed, but not in the my legs will not be able to move kind of way. I think part of it is still suffering from some side-effects of a charlie horse from last Thursday's sparring session.

I am definitely glad I set up the weights in an excel sheet Sunday night in preparation for the gym. I will post that up sometime in the next few days since its now time to work out the brain for an upcoming GMAT test.

I did not want to go to the gym when I woke up this morning. Made myself go anyway and had a pretty good workout.

deadlift:
Last week's #s = 135, 155, 175, 185
Today's #s = 135, 155, 185, 205

OHP
Last week's #s = 75, 75, 85, 105
Today's #s = 85, 95, 105, 115

Was a Wednesday for Madcow so squats were toned down a bit in preparation for Friday. Was really one of those days where I just wanted to stay home, sleep in, wait to eat lunch and report for a night shift at the newspaper.

Definitely glad I want, and I am really enjoying Madcow, granted it's the second day of the first week.

Squat 115, 135, 155, 175, 190, 155
BBR 95 115, 135, 145, 165, 115
Bench 40, 45, 50, 55, 65, 50

TGIF Friday for Madcow.

Empty gym, was just me and three other guys in the weight room, was heaven not having people in the way. I think the squats are going to be killer on Monday. Maybe it was just after a tough sparring day Thursday, but my legs did not want to work on the squats. Still managed to push all of my weights up for a set of three.

Pretty soon I will be eating 45 lbs weights with my cereal in the morning for a little extra iron and fiber.

Monday, Oct. 4, 2010

Skipping the gym today due to a cold. Spent all weekend in bed with a nice fever and the standard cold symptoms.

Today I took off to make sure I get and stay healthy since I also have to pull a night shift, but I think I will be good for Tuesday to return to the gym, but we will see. Wednesday for sure though.

A question I have though is for a routine, how should I return after missing Monday's workout since I was supposed to be adding Friday's weight to Monday's top set of 5? Should I just do Wednesday as normal and see how I Feel Friday and try adding more weight or just keeping last weeks weight and start going again next Monday? Or should I make Wednesday's lift my Monday routine that I missed and carry over into the weekend? Which means I will only have one day of rest between a Friday-Monday set?

Been almost a month since I updated. Been away from my computer due to taking the GMAT, which I aced, and election coverage and life in general. Still going to the gym.

I have pushed my bench up to 130, dead 245 and squat 195 for reps of 5.

Welcome to the logs

Nice improvement on the deads

Thanks. I have got to start training my grip strength. I know there are some exercises for it in the FAQs that I need to check out. It's getting to the point where my grip is giving out before the rest of my body. It's weird, cause my finger strength is really good, I can do push ups on my fingertips, but my grip strength I feel is lagging.

On my most recent trip to the gym, my on the last three reps on the final set of deads, each time, my grip got worse and worse to the point that on the last set, I was clinging to the bar with my fingertips.

Just try static holds on the last rep of your deadlift, its good work for the lift and its easy to fit in.

Back