Law Alabama passes law against raising minimum wage.

Its a decent wage with the tips you get from people who feel bad that your job pays poorly.
Uh, yeah exactly as I said its a good wage for a tipped worker. Tipping is a reality in America whether you or I like it or not so you can't fault Kong for that and in fact if he is indeed paying them $10/hr he's actually paying them really well by the standards of tipped workers. A friend of mine worked as a server and he made less than half of that per hour

lol at 10 dollars/ hour. I'll remember this next time you're acting virtuous. It's hilarious, the people who bark the most are always part of the problem. Always. I sort of doubt you ever owned any such business, actually.
As @Kafir-kun pointed out that's actually a pretty good wage for a serving establishment.

You're mocking it as low without realizing what the actual employment market is for that industry (50% of the industry makes between $8-10, so something like 75% making less than $10/hr). So $10/hr plus they get their tips isn't bad by a long shot.

Uh, yeah exactly as I said its a good wage for a tipped worker. Tipping is a reality in America whether you or I like it or not so you can't fault Kong for that and in fact if he is indeed paying them $10/hr he's actually paying them really well by the standards of tipped workers. A friend of mine worked as a server and he made less than half of that per hour
You're missing the point. 10/hr isn't even minimum wage in most places. I'm aware that charitable people tip well. My issue is with someone acting as though paying a substandard wage is to be applauded because other people foot the rest of the bill.

As @Kafir-kun pointed out that's actually a pretty good wage for a serving establishment.

You're mocking it as low without realizing what the actual employment market is for that industry (50% of the industry makes between $8-10, so something like 75% making less than $10/hr). So $10/hr plus they get their tips isn't bad by a long shot.
See above.

i find this bizzare. you have mentioned this before and ive heard other american influencers say the same thing but these are the blackest states and the ones saying this are usually liberals...
Yeah, you have to actually unpack the South's post-slavery and Jim Crow era economic policy to understand why this is the way that it is. To brutally shorten things - post slavery for decades and post-Jim Crow, racists in the South adopted economy killing policies so that they wouldn't have to open their economy to blacks.

It was an extremely backwards decision considering just how much of their population was black. The legacy of those decisions is why those states, which are like a Who's Who of pro-slavery states from the 1800s, languish behind the rest of the nation so dramatically. They've basically been running their economies with one hand intentionally tied behind their back for over 100 years.

So, you have states with large black populations. The white leadership enacted laws that kept those large black populations from being educated and from becoming economically competitive. That resulted in states where a large chunk of the population isn't as productive as it could be. That impoverishes the state, increase the need for welfare, etc.

So there's truth on both sides. They are red-run states with heavy welfare demands and they are states with the largest black populations. The reality however is that it's the historic elements that explain why - attempting to stall black growth meant that the entire states also stalled.

You're missing the point. 10/hr isn't even minimum wage in most places. I'm aware that charitable people tip well. My issue is with someone acting as though paying a substandard wage is to be applauded because other people foot the rest of the bill.
I think you're the one missing the point. Again $10/hr is actually a decent wage for a tipped worker who often get paid much less and in fact in Alabama they can get paid as little as $2.13. So a tipped worker working under Kong would probably be paid better than one working in Alabama so your point kind of falls flat here.

See above.
Yeah, I saw it. He's not paying a substandard wage. He's paying a higher end wage for his industry. And other people aren't footing the bill. That's a misunderstanding of the restaurant model of today.

Legally, the wage for food service workers is only $2.83 (roundabouts) and wait staff is required to make up the difference in tips. If the tips fall short then the restaurant is supposed to cover the shortfall. So, if a restaurant is paying the staff $10/hr before tips and letting the staff keep their tips instead of applying those tips to the wage then that's a pretty good place to work for waitstaff. The take home wage is actually more than $10.

Compare that with a restuarant that pays $10/hr using the normal model. The staff would have to apply their tips to their wage and then the owner would only pay enough to get them to $10. Which might mean that the restaurant only pays $5/hr and the tips cover the rest.

The business model is very different for wait staff. Believe it or not, Kong is treating his staff pretty good.

Yeah, I saw it. He's not paying a substandard wage. He's paying a higher end wage for his industry. And other people aren't footing the bill. That's a misunderstanding of the restaurant model of today.

Legally, the wage for food service workers is only $2.83 (roundabouts) and wait staff is required to make up the difference in tips. If the tips fall short then the restaurant is supposed to cover the shortfall. So, if a restaurant is paying the staff $10/hr before tips and letting the staff keep their tips instead of applying those tips to the wage then that's a pretty good place to work for waitstaff. The take home wage is actually more than $10.

Compare that with a restuarant that pays $10/hr using the normal model. The staff would have to apply their tips to their wage and then the owner would only pay enough to get them to $10. Which might mean that the restaurant only pays $5/hr and the tips cover the rest.

The business model is very different for wait staff. Believe it or not, Kong is treating his staff pretty good.
To be fair some states don't allow tipped workers to be paid under the standard MW and so if Kong's business is in such such state he may not be paying them out of the goodness of his heart. But as I said if he really is paying them $10.hr plus tip then his tipped workers are likely getting paid much better than in Alabama where tipped workers can be paid as little as $2.13.

I think you're the one missing the point. Again $10/hr is actually a decent wage for a tipped worker who often get paid much less and in fact in Alabama they can get paid as little as $2.13. So a tipped worker working under Kong would probably be paid better than one working in Alabama so your point kind of falls flat here.
10 per hour from a guy running a fancy restaurant is the same as 10 per hour from McDonalds. Its 10 dollars per hour. You're not a hero because someone else is charitable.

10 per hour from a guy running a fancy restaurant is the same as 10 per hour from McDonalds. Its 10 dollars per hour. You're not a hero because someone else is charitable.
Ah so this is the part where you refuse to see the point and just dig in your heels.

Ight imma head out, cheers.

To be fair some states don't allow tipped workers to be paid under the standard MW and so if Kong's business is in such such state he may not be paying them out of the goodness of his heart. But as I said if he really is paying them $10.hr plus tip then his tipped workers are likely getting paid much better than in Alabama where tipped workers can be paid as little as $2.13.
True but we were talking industry wide so that's what I was thinking about.

Ah so this is the part where you refuse to see the point and just dig in your heels.

Ight imma head out, cheers.
The point is that someone paying 10 dollars per hour is paying 10 dollars per hour. Not sure what you're confused about. Not sure what words you're trying to put in my mouth. Someone else is paying what you make over that 10 dollars per hour. I really don't know how to spell it out more clearly. You're paying them shit and the public knows it, thats why tips are a thing.

The point is that someone paying 10 dollars per hour is paying 10 dollars per hour. Not sure what you're confused about. Not sure what words you're trying to put in my mouth. Someone else is paying what you make over that 10 dollars per hour. I really don't know how to spell it out more clearly. You're paying them shit and the public knows it, thats why tips are a thing.

They are just going to keep shrugging and claiming you’re not getting it. There’s nothing wrong with your wording. These are the same types of people that claim anything less than 15$ an hour isn’t a ‘living’ wage while itt applauding 10$ an hour in a restaurant because it’s high for the industry, but still well under that 15$ they usually cling to.

Back