Akido or Judo

LoL. Yeah, and i've destroyed all the golden glove boxers i've rolled with too. I even let them use their hammer fists, punches to head/groin etc etc.

You are a grappler, they are not. Like I said, I don't want to disrespect or disparage the art, I just wanted to add my own anecdotal evidence about the effectiveness of aikido techniques when grappling with an experienced, resisting opponent.

They both have there advantages but I'd choose judo.I'm a brown belt in judo and almost had my neck broken 2 years ago.It led to a disc herniation in my lower back as well and I've been out of work for over a year now.

Bottom line,judo can be real dangerous and you can most certainly fuck someone up very badly. I'm still waiting for the day I get to judo throw someone on concrete.I took my judo licks and can't wait to give the gift to someone else. :)

You are a grappler, they are not. Like I said, I don't want to disrespect or disparage the art, I just wanted to add my own anecdotal evidence about the effectiveness of aikido techniques when grappling with an experienced, resisting opponent.

Whoosh~

...They only usually lack realistic training/sparring...

That's like 99.99% of of the reason a martial art is effective for combat.

So what specifically, can one benefit from aikido that one can't get from BJJ or Judo? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm curious.

So what specifically, can one benefit from aikido that one can't get from BJJ or Judo? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm curious.

Specific techniques(throws/takedowns/subs/holds), concepts(like re-directing force), philosophical aspects(like non violence), etc etc. I'm sure there are more, but i'm credible enough in those 3 styles to be making in depth comparisons or observations.

Basically your question is like asking me, why do BJJ guys need to study Judo/JJ/Aikido/Wrestling or any other grappling style? What do they have to learn that they don't already have in BJJ? Obviously you see how silly that is right..

How to control someone without inflicting damage. Judo throws and bjj submissions can be very dangerous. If you apply them on someone untrained you might end up answering to cops. I think Aikido works with a considerable amount of training and against untrained opponents. It's not a martial art to pursue if you intend on starting fights.

How to control someone without inflicting damage. Judo throws and bjj submissions can be very dangerous. If you apply them on someone untrained you might end up answering to cops. I think Aikido works with a considerable amount of training and against untrained opponents. It's not a martial art to pursue if you intend on starting fights.

Aikido's attacks are more than capable of BREAKING a guy's wrist/arm if the guy hasn't learned proper ukemi (O and btw if the guy is actually unskilled/uncoordinated/drunk enough to even get HIT by one of those moves, he either hasn't learned or forgotten ukemi to begin with) That's why they don't have full resistance sparring to practice all that stuff (due to the high risk nature.) As opposed to BJJ where you could go full resistance and the Rear naked choke is VERY safe to apply (doesnt inflict damage, you have good control)

BTW I'm a bookworm and I have no interest in starting fights, just protecting myself and getting in shape, and I think Guillotines and duck unders/armdrags to RNCs (w/ or w/out hooks) will serve my fine for the former

Aikido's attacks are more than capable of BREAKING a guy's wrist/arm if the guy hasn't learned proper ukemi (O and btw if the guy is actually unskilled/uncoordinated/drunk enough to even get HIT by one of those moves, he either hasn't learned or forgotten ukemi to begin with) That's why they don't have full resistance sparring to practice all that stuff (due to the high risk nature.) As opposed to BJJ where you could go full resistance and the Rear naked choke is VERY safe to apply (doesnt inflict damage, you have good control)

BTW I'm a bookworm and I have no interest in starting fights, just protecting myself and getting in shape, and I think Guillotines and duck unders/armdrags to RNCs (w/ or w/out hooks) will serve my fine for the former

Agreed. But like you and the person you quoted stated, Aikido has a lot of lower risk moves(locks and other pain compliance holds) that would be very useful for those in law enforcement.

i train at a university judo club. an aikido club wanted to use our place during mwf since we train t-th-s, no problem. they started putting large tarps in hiragana & the B & W framed picture of Kano was transfered to the side, that was irritating but we didn't mind. then the government's sports commission donated new mats(YAY!). we used the mat for a week, then a sign was posted one day that says "property of the aikido club, please don't use".

now, my korean boss who wanted to try out grappling ask me if we were an aikido club, i said "hell no!" & he replied "well, the tarpaulin says place of aikido". i was "wtf!?" you think it was over? after a few days the aikido club started storing the mats after their dance sessions & we're left with 80's canvass stretched over lumpy sawdust to do our breakfalls & randori.

now ask me how i feel about aikido. does it warrant a dojo storm? is it considered dojo storming even if we share the same space?

Agreed. But like you and the person you quoted stated, Aikido has a lot of lower risk moves(locks and other pain compliance holds) that would be very useful for those in law enforcement.
Precisely. You can apply it with enough force to snap joints and really hurt someone. But you have the choice not to. There are a lot of techniques that don't require ukemi rolling out of them. Those are the ones that I was referring to (i.e. sankyo or kotegaeshi).

Most types of Jiu Jitsu and Judo are good self defence. Obviously BJJ is more designed to one on one combat. It sucks that paramedics have to watch their back though.

i train at a university judo club. an aikido club wanted to use our place during mwf since we train t-th-s, no problem. they started putting large tarps in hiragana & the B & W framed picture of Kano was transfered to the side, that was irritating but we didn't mind. then the government's sports commission donated new mats(YAY!). we used the mat for a week, then a sign was posted one day that says "property of the aikido club, please don't use".

now, my korean boss who wanted to try out grappling ask me if we were an aikido club, i said "hell no!" & he replied "well, the tarpaulin says place of aikido". i was "wtf!?" you think it was over? after a few days the aikido club started storing the mats after their dance sessions & we're left with 80's canvass stretched over lumpy sawdust to do our breakfalls & randori.

now ask me how i feel about aikido. does it warrant a dojo storm? is it considered dojo storming even if we share the same space?

You can't damn a whole Martial Art because you share a space with a bunch of idiots. I train at a Univeristy Aikido Club and we have to share a space with Cheerleaders and Lectures, we have to spend about half an hour before every session tidying before we can even put mats down :( (jigsaw type) i think it just comes with the territory of being a university club.

You can't damn a whole Martial Art because you share a space with a bunch of idiots. I train at a Univeristy Aikido Club and we have to share a space with Cheerleaders and Lectures, we have to spend about half an hour before every session tidying before we can even put mats down :( (jigsaw type) i think it just comes with the territory of being a university club.

oh, i know i would sound like a hater when i typed my rant, but still doesn't changed the fact their fucking assholes. the mat that was donated by the government was specifically for judo use since aikido isn't & will not be considered a sport. why the fuck are they hogging it? aaaaaaahhhhh...

/rant:redface:

I've been involved with Judo for almost a decade and my Sensei has recently been incorporating some "aikido" - I also compete in BJJ/Submission grappling tourneys.

I'm not yet to the point where I'll be attempting to throw someone like Seagal, but I do employ a lot of their techniques when folks are attempting to use any sort of wrist control.

I feel that aikido will never be a real force in competitive MMA.

Just for all you guys who arn't paying attention. Not all Aikido is the same. Check out these videos. This is what Aikido looks like when Uke doesn't throw themselves. It works, just not as pretty. :)

Here is some Aikido practice, some at the end vs. a guy punching with boxing gloves. Not just guys running full speed with their arms out!

Here is Aikido competition!

Check out Tomiki and Shodokan videos on youtube. I think it is actually really an interesting style.

Specific techniques(throws/takedowns/subs/holds), concepts(like re-directing force), philosophical aspects(like non violence), etc etc. I'm sure there are more, but i'm credible enough in those 3 styles to be making in depth comparisons or observations.

Basically your question is like asking me, why do BJJ guys need to study Judo/JJ/Aikido/Wrestling or any other grappling style? What do they have to learn that they don't already have in BJJ? Obviously you see how silly that is right..

Again, you're being really general. I wanted to know specific techniques because everything you listed is taught in BJJ.

No that's not my question at all, because I'm a BJJ guy and I do study judo and wrestling. But I don't study jj or aikido because I don't see any benefit from those arts, so I wanted to ask specifically what can I learn from those that I can't get from BJJ. For example is there a choke or armlock that doesnt exist in BJJ that exists in Aikido?

That's not true at all. BJJ is not just submissions. In fact, the most important lesson of BJJ is "Position before Submission". I can control someone very easily without submitting them.

Well, considering Aikido doesn't have chokes or armlocks, no.

way to not extrapolate :)

So is there anything useful? Anything that I can't obtain from taking BJJ or Judo? That's all I want to know.

Back