Akido or Judo

what would you say the major difference is between judo and wrestling? they both use leverage but wrestling has weight divisions for a reason. power and conditioning are very important in it. judo is designed largely to be able to use a small frame to defeat a larger opponent. that's a very different concept. Kano Jigoro, the founder of judo, weighed about 90 pounds. Sure he (original poster) can use judo and it might be very effective but I don't think it takes advantage of his natural size and strength. But just an opinion.

And judo apparently has weight divisions for no reason.

:rolleyes:

hmm. maybe I need to learn more about modern judo :- \

but still I think wrestling is a good idea.

I don't think wrestling is a bad idea.

I just don't believe that judo is either.

In a nogi context, wrestling.

In a gi, I'd really rather have judo.

I would go with judo or bjj, i am a former correctional officer & we used aikido and it was rarely effective. I started bjj because i had a hard time doing anything with aikido, now a RNC that is an effective way to restrain and cuff someone.

dude, i don't get how the whole "if aikido isn't working in mma it doesn't work" bullshit got started

reasons why aikido "doesn't work" in mma

wrapped up wrists stop wrist locks

you HAVE to engage your opponent. aikido is all about reacting not initiating...

loads of strikers are counter fighters and it works

an art shouldn't be so focused on one detail that one little piece of leather and fabric destroys it. judo/bjj does fine even thou MMA is fought without a gi

I would go with judo or bjj, i am a former correctional officer & we used aikido and it was rarely effective. I started bjj because i had a hard time doing anything with aikido, now a RNC that is an effective way to restrain and cuff someone.

Sure dude. Your police force or whatever would just implement a system that's not effective, and plenty of other law enforcement would also use it if it's not effective right?

Aikido has plenty of pain and pressure compliance locks and holds(very good for law enforcement). Forget about the non sparring bullshit they do. Just learn all the locks and holds and takedowns.

Judo has a lot of throws, and that's about it as far as i know. I guess you can include some kind of jits locks and subs in there, but isn't that more jits?

Do both. They both have something to offer you.

Judo has a lot of throws, and that's about it as far as i know. I guess you can include some kind of jits locks and subs in there, but isn't that more jits?

Then you don't know much. Judo has many pins and submissions. BJJ evolved from judo, and most submissions in BJJ were originally in Judo.

The sparring issue is not bullshit. If you're not skilled at applying your techniques on an opponent who is fighting back, you won't be able to apply them in real life. That's the long and short of it.

No disrespect to Akido but I know I've smashed the blackbelts I've rolled with. Even when I let them use "nerve holds", "wristlocks", or "pressure points".

Kinda hard to do those things when you're getting smashed in sidemount.

^ aikidoka aren't ground fighters. 90% of Aikido is stand up.

Then you don't know much. Judo has many pins and submissions. BJJ evolved from judo, and most submissions in BJJ were originally in Judo.

Read what i initially said. I know there's crossover. I know there are submissions. And when i say jits, i'm not talking about BJJ. I'm talking about jiujitsu, which BJJ evolved from. Jiujitsu and BJJ also evolved from Kung Fu and Chin Na. I'm a JKD guy, so i don't really care about the useless stuff. Give me the technique and i'll make it work.

The sparring issue is not bullshit. If you're not skilled at applying your techniques on an opponent who is fighting back, you won't be able to apply them in real life. That's the long and short of it.

It depends what you want to use it for. If you just want to know the mechanics and pressure points and theory behind it, then why not. You can learn later how to apply it yourself. Just go read some books on aikido/jits/judo and learn all the theory you can. Then figure out yourself how you would use and apply it. If your a cop and restraining a drunk guy or whatever, you don't need to train that hard as like your going to be fighting Aoki etc. You also usually have backup and you just need to know how to restrain and lock someone up. No ones gonna box with a cop, or fight hand to hand. The cop will just pull out his gun or taser or bat.

No disrespect to Akido but I know I've smashed the blackbelts I've rolled with. Even when I let them use "nerve holds", "wristlocks", or "pressure points".

Kinda hard to do those things when you're getting smashed in sidemount.

LoL. Yeah, and i've destroyed all the golden glove boxers i've rolled with too. I even let them use their hammer fists, punches to head/groin etc etc.

It depends what you want to use it for. If you just want to know the mechanics and pressure points and theory behind it, then why not. You can learn later how to apply it yourself. Just go read some books on aikido/jits/judo and learn all the theory you can. Then figure out yourself how you would use and apply it. If your a cop and restraining a drunk guy or whatever, you don't need to train that hard as like your going to be fighting Aoki etc. You also usually have backup and you just need to know how to restrain and lock someone up. No ones gonna box with a cop, or fight hand to hand. The cop will just pull out his gun or taser or bat.

Well, I was assuming that you are learning something in order to be able to apply it. My instructor is a JKD practitioner himself originally, so we train with that philosophy as well. Sure, if you want to learn theory and technique then it's fine, but I wouldn't want to defend myself with theory. I don't think it's enough to just say "figure out how to apply it yourself." That's the point of training. You figure that out in the dojo, so that when you need to use it outside, you have already figured it out, and under the supervision of a qualified instructor at that. I can drill o-goshi a thousand times, but I'll feel better applying it on a random drug addict who is attacking me if I've done it to someone who wasn't standing still waiting for the throw.

Sure dude. Your police force or whatever would just implement a system that's not effective, and plenty of other law enforcement would also use it if it's not effective right?

Aikido has plenty of pain and pressure compliance locks and holds(very good for law enforcement). Forget about the non sparring bullshit they do. Just learn all the locks and holds and takedowns.

Do both. They both have something to offer you.

why should he do both? aikido is useless overall, there is only so much time you can dedicate to training, there is no reason to waste a part of it on aikido

Well, I was assuming that you are learning something in order to be able to apply it. My instructor is a JKD practitioner himself originally, so we train with that philosophy as well. Sure, if you want to learn theory and technique then it's fine, but I wouldn't want to defend myself with theory. I don't think it's enough to just say "figure out how to apply it yourself." That's the point of training. You figure that out in the dojo, so that when you need to use it outside, you have already figured it out, and under the supervision of a qualified instructor at that. I can drill o-goshi a thousand times, but I'll feel better applying it on a random drug addict who is attacking me if I've done it to someone who wasn't standing still waiting for the throw.

Of course. That's why i said don't worry about the bullshit in aikido(non resisting sparring partners) and try it against a wrestler who's trying to shoot in on you and take you down etc. Just learn the theory and moves, then test it out in an environment you consider realistic and useful.

why should he do both? aikido is useless overall, there is only so much time you can dedicate to training, there is no reason to waste a part of it on aikido

That's your assessment. Personally, i have gotten an immense amount of information from reading aikido(and other 'useless' TMA styles) books in the early days of my martial arts training. Take what works, discard what doesn't. There are useless moves and techniques in every style, or perhaps i'm just an opinionated guy lol

My judo instructor (4th dan) also does Akido. And sometimes he even teaches the class if the main bb is gone.

This is roughly what he said, it is useful, but it is something you have to train ALL THE TIME if you want it to work.

It has the same problems that alot of TMA's have
Akido has tiny little steps. Put your foot here for this leverage, there for that leverage and make sure your elbow is up then do this -this-this-this-this-this and now you take them down. If you forget any of the steps, you fail and are generally left wide open.

I've actually done full randori sparring with wrist and finger locks allowed with a akido brown belt. He knew TONS of stuff when drilling technique.
But during live sparring, he would try things and i'd dump him over and over and over again. He said it was alot different since I was A) moving fast B) actively off balancing him C) Choking him on the ground, so he would think of that when trying to blend or whatever it was he called it.
Their ground game is non exsistant.

My judo instructor (4th dan) also does Akido. And sometimes he even teaches the class if the main bb is gone.

This is roughly what he said, it is useful, but it is something you have to train ALL THE TIME if you want it to work.

It has the same problems that alot of TMA's have
Akido has tiny little steps. Put your foot here for this leverage, there for that leverage and make sure your elbow is up then do this -this-this-this-this-this and now you take them down. If you forget any of the steps, you fail and are generally left wide open.

I've actually done full randori sparring with wrist and finger locks allowed with a akido brown belt. He knew TONS of stuff when drilling technique.
But during live sparring, he would try things and i'd dump him over and over and over again. He said it was alot different since I was A) moving fast B) actively off balancing him C) Choking him on the ground, so he would think of that when trying to blend or whatever it was he called it.
Their ground game is non exsistant.

Exactly. TMA have a shitload of information and theory that you can benefit from. They only usually lack realistic training/sparring, which is why i say to take their theory and techniques, and then apply them in a realistic manner when training. That's what i mean by do both, or do everything.

Exactly. TMA have a shitload of information and theory that you can benefit from. They only usually lack realistic training/sparring, which is why i say to take their theory and techniques, and then apply them in a realistic manner when training. That's what i mean by do both, or do everything.

The same thing happens in the start of anyone's BJJ or Judo time.

Basically if you're not use to training full speed or near full speed. When you try it your body won't act, it will react. You might have done 50 armbars in practice, but your mind hasn't caught up to what your body can do. So you basically panic and end up reacting.

Reacting = LOSE

I don't get why this thread is still going, the TS decided to do BJJ instead of Judo or Aikido

Back