Akido or Judo

there are a lot of skinny guys doing aikido as well.

i doubt they do any type of physical training apart breakfall.

ditch both and take wrestling. Judo and aikido require you to use the opponent's momentum against them; wrestling you just grab them and slam them around or pin them down. Much easier to use your size. In fact shortness is considered better for judo and aikido due to a low center of gravity.

Judo. I have taken judo, jujutsu, and aikido and for the fights or confrontations I have been in aikido was not used.

Aikido is an excellent martial art when you learn the right branch and master the techniques in accepting 99.9% of the opponents attack. However, in practical sense, judo is more effective.

ditch both and take wrestling. Judo and aikido require you to use the opponent's momentum against them; wrestling you just grab them and slam them around or pin them down. Much easier to use your size. In fact shortness is considered better for judo and aikido due to a low center of gravity.
go away

Wrestling doesn't require that you use the opponent's momentum?

Judo doesn't have any techniques where you just grab them and throw them around?

I have the feeling that you don't know much about either Judo or wrestling if you can make a comment like this.

I duno, you turn your back on a thread for 5 minutes and it turns into a bitchfest.

^^^ALL FALSE.

This is a grappling forum, and we have wrestlers, judokas, catch wrestlers and bjj guys... but there is a reason why most of all of the above respect the name gracie or at least whats associated with bjj... its call EVIDENCE. Also there is a reason why most of the ppl in this forum take aikido as a pretty useless MA, its call LACK OF REAL EVIDENCE. SHOW ME ONE SINGLE VIDEO, REFERENCE, LINK ANYTHING where aikido has been useful successfully in a real fight...

Ohh yeah, you're coming back with the japanese or corean police force training aikdo... well, show me a video of any police officer using effectively aikido to control his opponent...

We have competition, we spar (in a grappling sense) Police do train it, I train with several, 1 of which (represented Britain at our worlds..) does use it in his every day work as he works in dealing with anti social behaviour with all the little fucknuts that pollute our cities. I'd link you some of my comp videos just to shut you the fuck up, but no one video'd any or at least any I've found, surprisingly most people at comps are there to compete and don't sit around with video cameras. seeing as our bouts are 3 minutes long and not 10. A lot of Aikido throws put your opponent out of your range as opposed to directly under you like Judo. Which is not ideally suited for MMA. You want to control your opponent, not have him get back up again when you throw him. Altho for reference Machida did land one of the better MMA suited techniques in a fight, it was a Karate move but the exact technique is taught in Aikido. We call it a Gyakugamate in Shodokan. No idea what they call it in Karate. bottom Gif isn't exactly an Aikido throw but is along the same principle, guy off balance, push back the head, a sloppy Aigamate.

lyotothrow.gif

lyotothrow2.gif

sometimes the mob is correct worldwide..
when was the last time you saw aikido being performed in MMA or a grappling comp? Succesfully I might add
Even TKD that is bashed constantly finds some success, or at least the techniques do
All the pros you mention are the same for judo, with the difference that it is acctually proven and works in a realistic setting
may it work against drunks yeah sure, alot of stuff works on drunks they have little balance and coordination

There are many styles of Aikido as I'm sure you are aware.. the only style that actually incoporates comp is Tomiki/ Shodokan. Of which we are a tiny sect of Aikido, most people aren't aware it even exists, they try the seagal stuff and then because it doesn't match what they want go to Judo, because some styles refuse to even accept us as Aikido and therefore don't recommend us. We are barred from some Dojo's ffs that's how stupid it is.
So we have a tiny pool of fighters to work with, and many, certainly the ones I train with aren't that interested in MMA anyway.. Making it impossible to strike a convo followng a PPV :(

I dont really mean to start this into a aikido bashing thread, but... WHERE IS A SINGLE PROVE THAT AIKIDO IT WORKS AGAINST MULTIPLE OPPONENTS???? hell, it probably doesnt even work against one, but it will work against multiple?? I now your 100 years aikido your father taught you but, sorry man, there is no prove aikido works.... sorry man, but in this decade, where almost every single person in the world has a cellphone with a video cam inside, and there is not 1 single video proving it effective, then I will have to belive what my eyes have seen rather to belive what someone thought it could work and made it look cool....

The best option against multiple attackers is running the fuck away... but you do learn a few defensive techniques, although I'd personally go with option A and try my best to run that implement them.

Can someone please tell me why most Aikido guys are fat, even the blackbelts.

Most of them are old, don't do much outside of Aikido, and follow the teachings as opposed to the sport, and when you aren't practising against heavy resistance theres no need to be built like an Olympic athlete. Except the high level people in my style who do successful at comps, best guy in our area is the same height as me but is built like a terminator. Guy has some serious power and conditioning.

Last edited:
I do want to point out that a lot of you make a lot of assumptions about what Aikido "is", and you've never trained it. It's not all wrist locks, and it's not all done against unresisting opponents. Try looking up Ginger Ninja's Aikido style, Shodokan, and see. Guess what? Full resisting opponents and even... gasp... competition...

That said, I think that I would still vote Judo. LOL People need to spend more time understanding something before they start bashing it IMO. Aikido isn't the best, but it's not "universally" what most of you think, if it is at all.

MMA currently has a cookie cutter template of Muay Thai + Wrestling + BJJ. A very well rounded combo that has been proved again and again. Problem is, every fighter trains this, very few go against that mould. So it creates an endless circle, or people training that because its successful meaning theres more fighters of this template, meaning it will stay successful.
Aikido by itself will never be successful against an opponent trained in multiple styles. No style does.. Look at Maia vs Silva... Elite BJJ can't do a damn thing for 25 minutes except be humiliated.
But there are techniques and training things that could be successfully incorporated, but they'd require cross training, just like everything in MMA.

Take Machida as an Example, He arrived with Karate + Sumo + BJJ and it took people years to figure it out, let alone hit him. And only one of the very best in the world managed to topple him.

The only chance I think you'll see Aikido or any other non MMA MA make any kind of impact is if the fighter trains them as a child / young teen before they discover MMA. Then they can weave the training in with other things, but as most MMA fighters currently come from a wrestling background, its not very likely. TMA's have a problem of brainwashing people into believing their way is the only way and thus there is a lack of cross training, or even interest in MMA.

As a person who started in both at the same time. I would go with judo because its more fun and you'll likely stick with it longer if you enjoy randori. It's been 5 years since then and I'm still with judo, but I stuck with aikido until i got to green belt (currently a green belt in judo as well). I plan on getting back into it later on in life.

For the guys arguing over the effectiveness of aikido, I have to say that it is an effective art, but the lack of randori at the beginning level will turn most people away from it. and although you don't need to train in anything else, I would say it would greatly compensate your training if you took aikido with judo or bjj. When I first started I felt I excelled at both because I was open to both worlds. My judo sensei (guy is 6th dan and 67 years old) often explains why he likes aikido and says that he appreciates that it is a different type of ukemi. But the techniques are sound, it just takes some insight to see how they would be applied.

thier are a few clubs near me im going to check out and some bigger schools near boston if would it be fair to say judo is the most effective standing graplling system?

thier are a few clubs near me im going to check out and some bigger schools near boston if would it be fair to say judo is the most effective standing graplling system?

yeah that would be an accurate statement. good luck dude, hope you like judo!

Do you like enduring forceful impacts? You should take that into consideration.

Wrestling doesn't require that you use the opponent's momentum?

Judo doesn't have any techniques where you just grab them and throw them around?

what would you say the major difference is between judo and wrestling? they both use leverage but wrestling has weight divisions for a reason. power and conditioning are very important in it. judo is designed largely to be able to use a small frame to defeat a larger opponent. that's a very different concept. Kano Jigoro, the founder of judo, weighed about 90 pounds. Sure he (original poster) can use judo and it might be very effective but I don't think it takes advantage of his natural size and strength. But just an opinion.

Last edited:
we have a bunch of bjj schools but everyone on earth takes bjj right now!

I'm sure you could find both completely effective assuming there was live full resistance sparring at both classes. If one is missing that then go with the other.

Back