Akido or Judo

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ghostdogg, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Ghostdogg Blue Belt

I have tried alot of different martial arts and doing my homework i think i would do very well in either im a big guy and me throwing someone well lets just say oww. I was wondering if somone could give me the pros and cons for both styles and if one shines brighter than the other espically in self defense. Im a paramedic and sometimes altercations happen but i can't punch people. also if anyone knows of any good schools i would apreciate it i live in mass well thanx.

2. Shemhazai Black Belt

Judo. Aikido doesn't work unless maybe you train for 20+ years.

3. UTN1 Purple Belt

Judo . Imo it's one of the best martial arts for self defense .

4. YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Judo

some guy said that aikido is only good if you have a blackbelt in judo or bjj before

5. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

wanna be a movie star? aikido...

want something to work in real life? bjj or judo are fine.

6. GingerNinja Orange Belt

False..

Depends the style you learn, who teaches you, and if you realise no martial art will provide you a complete skill-set and can only be improved upon by implementing other things.. but hell this is an MMA board, we know this.

Many Police forces use Aikido training and principles due to the techniques that allow you to control a situation without needing to knock the other person out cold. Plenty of control techniques, that cause no damage to you or your attacker.
    Take a tester class, talk to some black belts in both or so, make your own mind up. Don't be swayed by the shit this board tends to talk, if it doesn't have the word Gracie in it, 95% of the people here couldn't give a rats ass.

People attack paramedics? what a shitty world we live in.

7. djbrujoh Yellow Belt

judo :
    cons - no strikes
    pros - full speed realistic live sparring = good self defense

aikido :
    cons - choreographed sparring, rarely if ever are able to use their techniques against a resisting opponent
    pros - good for law enforcement, control, locks

8. Ghostdogg Blue Belt

anyone know of anygood schools in mass

9. Ghostdogg Blue Belt

yeah people attack paramedics drunks crazy people sad i know does judo have same belts as bjj?

10. YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

sometimes the mob is correct

when was the last time you saw aikido being performed in MMA or a grappling comp? Succesfully I might add

Even TKD that is bashed constantly finds some success, or at least the techniques do

All the pros you mention are the same for judo, with the difference that it is acctually proven and works in a realistic setting

may it work against drunks yeah sure, alot of stuff works on drunks they have little balance and coordination

11. joe90210 Blue Belt

in judo you get to test your abilities against a 100% resisting opponent, in aikido you get to test it against someone charging at you wrist first with no intentions to resist

12. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

^^^ALL FALSE.

This is a grappling forum, and we have wrestlers, judokas, catch wrestlers and bjj guys... but there is a reason why most of all of the above respect the name gracie or at least whats associated with bjj... its call EVIDENCE. Also there is a reason why most of the ppl in this forum take aikido as a pretty useless MA, its call LACK OF REAL EVIDENCE. SHOW ME ONE SINGLE VIDEO, REFERENCE, LINK ANYTHING where aikido has been useful successfully in a real fight...

Ohh yeah, you're coming back with the japanese or corean police force training aikdo... well, show me a video of any police officer using effectively aikido to control his opponent...

13. akdms Blue Belt

Judo:
    Pros:
    * Full, live sparing which greatly improves reaction time, to the point that you will unconsciously respond to positions based on their "feel".
    * Proven to be very effective at immobilizing an opponent.
    * Very strong pinning
    * Depending on the school, usually enough groundwork that if it goes to the ground you'll be comfortable there.

Cons:
    * Little control over damage dealt to opponent -- how the person responds to being thrown and what they land on (concrete, curb, grass, etc.) could mean the difference between them not being phased and them being paralyzed.
    * No striking defense.
    * Most throws require modification if your opponent isn't wearing a jacket.
    * Doesn't train defense against weapons, multiple opponents, etc.
    * Pins are effective at holding someone down, but put you in a bad position if your opponent pulls a weapon or his friends join in.

Aikido:
    Pros:
    * Trains against multiple opponents and weapons.
    * More control over how badly opponent is injured.
    * Locks, if you can get them, are effective at controlling your opponent and generally keep you standing and away from your opponent's free hand (that could pull a weapon).
    * Looks fancy?

Cons:
    * Never really been proven to be effective.
    * Choreographed training. Ask anyone who trains in a martial art (Judo, BJJ, TKD, Boxing, etc.) that drills techniques against an unresisting opponent and then tries to apply them in live sparing -- being able to demonstrate a technique and execute in live combat are COMPLETELY different animals. Also, choreographed training won't ever lead to a "feel" for positions.
    * Requires you to react to your opponent's attack almost instantly -- if you are a split second late, you get hit (of course, in Judo you don't deal with strikes at all, so...).
    * Heavy reliance on pain from wrist-locks, which are difficult to get (they're even hard to get in BJJ where you are controlling the rest of your opponent's body). Also, someone that is on drugs might not respond the same way to a wrist-lock.

Not sure if says much, but I train with several guys in BJJ and Judo that trained extensively in Aikido -- they consider it a beautiful art, but completely ineffective. Take that with a grain of salt though -- for all I know there could be people in Aikido that have trained in BJJ/Judo and consider them ineffective.

Have you considered Krav Maga? That really combines the aforementioned pros of both Judo and Aikido.

Also, how can you not punch someone, but can slam them into concrete?

14. martiallist White Belt

15. ace rockolla Blue Belt

If by mass you mean Massachusetts, there's a judo school in Somerville that i've heard good things about.

16. Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

17. Hagai Jime Orange Belt

It depends, I learned a hard style of aikido, as my dad taught me and he was awarded his bb from Gozo shiodas personal emmisary to the us. But I am currently a judo student as well.
    But I really prefer judo for a pure one on one fight. Aikido has a very well developed system for defending multiple attackers, and has good standing joint locks and use of pressure points/nerve centers. Some throws are really nice as well, they have a lot of self defense oriented throws compared to using them for offense.

Also, people need to stop implying that Aikido is all kata and choreography, and no randori.
    It's quite obvious that at the advanced level randori is used with force, so as to retain the effectivness of the art.
    There aren't many videos bc Aikido has a very small pool of effective practitioners willing to waste time promoting themselves on YouTube.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  18. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Having done both, I will say judo without question.

Live sparring > no sparring

You can't rely on your skills unless you are well versed in applying them on resisting opponents. Until then it's all theory, and you don't want to rely on theoretical success in the real world.

19. fourfif** Banned Banned

20. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I dont really mean to start this into a aikido bashing thread, but... WHERE IS A SINGLE PROVE THAT AIKIDO IT WORKS AGAINST MULTIPLE OPPONENTS???? hell, it probably doesnt even work against one, but it will work against multiple?? I now your 100 years aikido your father taught you but, sorry man, there is no prove aikido works.... sorry man, but in this decade, where almost every single person in the world has a cellphone with a video cam inside, and there is not 1 single video proving it effective, then I will have to belive what my eyes have seen rather to belive what someone thought it could work and made it look cool....