Akido myth or fact

idk i have never seen anything like this i have a friend who told me whoever thinks aikido is bs has never been to a real school and like other styles they have mcdojos!

I have a friend who is telling me that if people think aikido isnt effective they either went to a mcdojo or havent done akido. idk the mystery continues

But seriously, Aikido is fun. It has some uses for self defence purposes, mainly against off balance, lunging attacks or people grabbing a hold of you. Both of those cases are probably the most common in the streets.

I believe the founder of Aikido said you would need something in the region of 10 years to be able to apply it effectively in a self defence situation, which is way longer than most modern MAs.

If you want to do a MA for self-defence, there are loads more that are more useful. If you don't want a very "hard" martial art, go for it.

Just curious but how many times have you been in a physical confrontation in the past decade?

I have a friend who is telling me that if people think aikido isnt effective they either went to a mcdojo or havent done akido. idk the mystery continues

That's fine. Just pointing out there is Aikido out there that does some randori against resisting opponents. Would Judo or BJJ be better? I think so, but to each their own.

I hear you man, I'm sure there are schools out there that are a little more hardcore, same with any BJJ or Judo club.

But its been said a million times already: to be an effective art one must be able to practice at full speed against a resisting opponent all the time to be truly effective.

aikido isn't a martial art that can be used by itself

I would recommend atleast 2 years of kickboxing, wrestling, or bjj to have as a core.

all that wrist lock stuff is nice whenever they grab you, but lets be honest, not all fights have someone trying to grab you. And the ones that do usually try to take you down.

With that being said, Aikido is way more legit than anyone on sherdog is willing to admit

I'm with Darkslide.

Every art has it's strengths and weaknesses. However, if you want to train to learn how to "handle yourself" (which I will separate from the concept of "self-defense") then you need to look to MMA as a guideline - since here you train against resisting opponents in a wide variety of scenarios.

You learn striking and kicking, plus an awareness of someone trying to take you to the ground. If you DO end up on the ground - you know the preferred position is to be on top, in control. If you are on the bottom - you have trained to get out of there while protecting yourself.

Is it PERFECT in a "street" scenario? No - not when multiple opponents and weapons comes into play. But in all honesty - not very much will truly help you here. If you are set upon by 3 or 4 blokes, the best you can hope for is to escape intact. Again, though - MMA training will help if you have a good jab.

YouTube - Turkish Badass Fights Off Multiple Attackers

As for anti-weapons training well again, it is mostly a farce. You are going to get shot or cut. IMO the best you can get here is a false sense of security.

So what to train for MMA? Well - BJJ, muay-thai, boxing, judo, wrestling are the main ones - as well as actual MMA classes, of course.. Notice a theme? - yes, all training against fully-resisting opponents.

Aikido? Well - there are numerous benefits of aikido. It is easier on the body then some of the more "full-contact" styles above. Your reflexes, agility and ability to maintain distance in a confrontation will improve. You learn to fall and roll with confidence. So for those that do not want the "roughness" then Aikido is a good alternative although frankly - the "roughness" is what you will encounter in a confrontation anyway.

Aikido is more like a religion than a grappling art.

Aikido is more like a religion than a grappling art.

You could say Judo or BJJ are religions too though :)

Our father who art in Heaven
Kano be thy name.....

I kid!

are you trying to troll or anything? you said you did bjj, mt and now you are into aikido?? I find it hard to belive that someone who has done bjj and MT is looking for aikido for selfdefense matters...

I've heard Tomiki Aikido has some controlled, supervised randori. But only for advanced students, meaning students that have paid the thieving instructor at least $5,000 over the course of several years.

In theory, Aikido sounds like a good art to learn. It probably was at some point. Apparently Ueshiba actually fought and demonstrated Aikido's effectiveness.

Another thing I've never been into that Aikido does is the use of weapons. Some people like it, but it's not my thing.
About self defense, I don't know how effective Aikido would be. If self defense is the most important thing to you go take Krav Maga classes. They teach a mean, dirty, and effective system.
I see training martial arts as a good way to be in shape. If I had to defend myself I would run, throw rocks, and find a stick-like object, before I would try to use BJJ.
Did Urijah Faber try to use self defense when he got mobbed in Southeast Asia? No man, he ran for his f'n life.
Run sprints, that's the best self defense, LOL.

I liked that post from a while back, where some guy posted an essay called The Wussification of Martial Arts. I think almost every art that may have been used in real fighting and wars got watered down in the West.

Last edited:
My first BJJ instructor was a black belt under Rigan who also holds black belts in aikido, tang soo do, two or three other styles, and was this close to turning pro as a boxer back in the day.

Before he taught BJJ full-time, he ran a security company in and around Detroit. He once told us that of all the stuff he actually used working security, aikido constituted far and away the bulk of it. Obviously, his objective was to control someone without hurting them enough to get sued. And, apparently, standing wristlocks, etc. -- basic aikido, in other words -- can be pretty frickin' effective with that.

TS's question was whether or not aikido is complete b.s. But I don't think you can adequately answer that without first answering why you train; what situations you're training for.

Last edited:
When i trained Mt the class was alot of young im going to beat up fedor guys just wasnt a good at atmosphere. As for bjj i really liked it alot but as im getting older i didnt want to be the old guy in the class bjj is a very effective art one on one but against two or more eh you will run into problems. But their is something about aikido that has always intrigued me so i am trying to get feedback judo is another art that i would really like to try as well

y'know. wrist locks hurt. moreso than any other submission

this is coming from a bjj player btw

if i were to take away something from aikido, it'd be wristlocks.
i dont know anything else about it though so discount my opinion if you want to.

When i trained Mt the class was alot of young im going to beat up fedor guys just wasnt a good at atmosphere. As for bjj i really liked it alot but as im getting older i didnt want to be the old guy in the class bjj is a very effective art one on one but against two or more eh you will run into problems. But their is something about aikido that has always intrigued me so i am trying to get feedback judo is another art that i would really like to try as well
. <-Try these little guys.

If you want the wristlocks in the style of aikido but actually have more sparring, and a good mix of punches/kicks and grappling - check out hapkido as an alternative.

y'know. wrist locks hurt. moreso than any other submission

this is coming from a bjj player btw

if i were to take away something from aikido, it'd be wristlocks.
i dont know anything else about it though so discount my opinion if you want to.

You should look up the Roy Dean Wristlock dvd

This thread has been very interesting, I didn't know much about it other than Steven Segal did it, and he seems to like knives.

Back