Akido myth or fact

Ghostdogg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in taking akido and one thing that is holding me back is all I ever here is akido is complete bs. So I'm curious why is it that people feel this way because it doesn't translate to mma. Also I was wondering do they have throws like in judo and it seems that more people believe in tai chi then akido. I'm just curious thoughts opinions!

Also I was wondering do they have throws like in judo and it seems that more people believe in tai chi then akido.

What separated Judo from it's competitors was placing the importance on randori (live sparring). In Judo you actually become competent at throwing because you spend a great deal of time trying to throw a resisting opponent. For the same reasons, BJJ is also effective as you spend a great deal of time rolling against resisting important. You will spend nearly all your time in Aikido doing throws on compliant partners. You can reach black belts levels without ever demonstrating the ability to throw someone who doesn't want to be thrown. I have heard of a few Aikido clubs which do incorporate Randori into training, but I remember seeing there training videos and it noticing it starts to look a lot like Judo.

Prepare for the BJJ fanboys who like to shit on all other grappling arts.

In order for Aikido to be effective you'd have to be practicing steady for like over a decade. The throws in Aikido aren't as effective as the throws in Judo as they aren't performed on a fully resisting opponent. Besides that they have good wrist-locks and the average practitioner has good knowledge of pressure points.

I'll pretty much add a +1 to the ideas posted in the topic you made in the stand up forum.

Although, I'm curious as well and conveniently a small middle aged female English teacher runs Aikido classes (in my school) so ill post up my findings. I currently do muay thai and have done judo so i will rate the 'effectiveness' based from my experience.

I am interested in taking akido and one thing that is holding me back is all I ever here is akido is complete bs. So I'm curious why is it that people feel this way because it doesn't translate to mma. Also I was wondering do they have throws like in judo and it seems that more people believe in tai chi then akido. I'm just curious thoughts opinions!

All depends on what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a more "cultural" system with a emphasis on meditation and relaxation, it might be for you.

If you are looking for a functional style, whether it is for sport or self-defence, its not going to be your best choice.

Aikido is BS for the same reason other systems are, people try to claim it as something it is not, and others try to judge it by the criteria of other systems. Aikido has its value, but that value is completely different from the value of BJJ, Judo or wrestling. Not only that, but the value appeals to a completely different set of people, leaving one group to often feel the other is wasting there time.

Thanx those videos are just sad sigh their are a few judo clubs around but I'm not the youngest man on earth I'm 32 I'm not sure how I can handle the falls I really wanna take Japanese jujutsu but no where around here sigh!

If someone is trying to hurt you do u feel that this could save you

This style is prob the most controversial style i wanna just walk into a class and challenege a teacher but I'm pretty sure that if it's real it would end very bad for me lol I have done karate bjj muay thai but something about about aikido has me puzzled!

This is what happens when Aikido is trained and practiced in a LIVE sparring environment.

Shodokan (Tomiki) Aikido Competition clips:

dude just go and take judo.

i m 30, started judo at like 28, and I get smashed on the tatami every lesson but I keep on coming back.

if you train smart you can minimise greatly the risk of injury.

Being sore, bruises, being banged up is a different story though.

So really, you're still young, don't waste the rest of your youth doing old people's stuff.....

This is what happens when Aikido is trained and practiced in a LIVE sparring environment.

Shodokan (Tomiki) Aikido Competition clips:

Some of that looks like Kata, the rest....well I've seen better throws/TDs watching 6 year old Judo WBs. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but that was my first impression.

I have a couple of friends who are avid in aikido and they couldn't take an ice cream cone from my 5 year old niece. Their style is an absolute joke. Sadly, this seems to be the case with most Aikido these days.

My BJJ coach studied Aikido for 15 years and he said he tried to study the hard style more than anything. He incorporates some moves into his game and they are effective trust me. But he says most people study a kind of Aikido that is like dancing. All in all, a style like most martial arts these days, find the very rare good school and instructor and it could be worth something in a real situation..

Some of that looks like Kata, the rest....well I've seen better throws/TDs watching 6 year old Judo WBs. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but that was my first impression.

That's fine. Just pointing out there is Aikido out there that does some randori against resisting opponents. Would Judo or BJJ be better? I think so, but to each their own.

Ahh, this thread again.

First - Do a search on Sherdog discussing the effectiveness of BJJ in street applications. You'll find post after post of people saying "I don't train for self defense" and "The best form of self defense is to run away" etc. Interestingly enough, when threads like these come up, the response is, "Aikido is crap. That shit would never work on the street."

So, they don't practice BJJ for self defense, and in a situation where they might be attacked they're going to do everything they can to not engage... but Aikido sucks because it doesn't work in the street. Confused? Me too.

People really only practice martial arts for a couple of different reasons.

1) It's fun.
B) For self defense.
4) For fitness

I'll assume that people who are suggesting that they don't train BJJ for self defense must be practicing it because they enjoy it, because they want to get into shape, or some combination of the two. Yet if someone were to suggest they might want to train Aikido for the same reasons... well... you see the response.

Is Aikido effective when it comes to hand-to-hand combat? Well, I think as we know, the individual has a huge impact on that answer. How the training is done, how serious they are, etc. In general, however? I'm going to say that it's not as effective as a number of other martial arts out there, including Judo, BJJ, boxing, etc... but more effective than not ever doing any type of training.

In my opinion, if there is one thing that Aikido has to offer individuals who participate combats sports, it is their footwork. Aikidoka have amazing footwork and tai sabaki. If my footwork were as excellent as some Aikidoka I have seen, I am quite positive that my Judo, BJJ and boxing would ALL benefit greatly.

Akido? Myth.

Never heard about it though.

Back