AJ McKee the perfect example.

Duh, but some people still might want to fight the highest level competition to fill an internal need...other than that, you are correct.
The best fighting the best isn't possible since the UFC won't co-promote.

A few recent threads, ok, more than a few, are focused on greatness and is it quality or quantity that should be the indicator. So here is a slightly different take considering this thread is NOT GOAT targeted but just thought provoking...........my opinion......AJ McKee has beaten up a bunch of guys who between them don't even have a single UFC event under their belt. Guys like Benson Henderson who did well in the UFC are now Bellator stepping stones but McKee has not fought any of those. This is NOT a knock against Bellator fightrs as I respect them but rather my view that the UFC is the elite show. My vote, McKee needs to come to UFC and see how he does against a rank 10-15 to see his skill level. Agree? Disagree? Top 10? Top 5? Should he join UFC and who should he fight?
AJ: If I went to UFC "I WILL" be champion for sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don’t take any champ in the minors too seriously. Until they prove themselves in the UFC they are unproven. It’s not to say they can’t do it. But, I’m going to need actual proof of it, sorry.

I'm always negative on Bellator talent, but in McKee's case, I think he belongs in the UFC... which is about as much as you can say for anyone. Anyone at any given time in the top 10 can be champion... it's just a matter of matchup and circumstance. McKee could get beaten by some of the guys in the top 10, but could beat some too.

Most Bellator guys will lose to everyone in the top 10.
What are you talking about?

Eddie became UFC champ
Volkan is a Bellator reject and fought for the UFC belt
Chandler got KTFO by FW Pitbull in 1 minute and he murked top 10 Hooker and nearly KTFO Oliveira for the belt and Chandler is currently ranked #4
Volkov 0-2 in his last 2 in Bellator and got cut and yet he's ranked #5 in the UFC
Sakai Bellator reject who is top 10 in the UFC

etc etc, the list is too long

You are clueless

M<cKie will be another fighter that will stay in Bellator and fight cans for the most part and stay champ a while. Folks act like Bellator is almost on par with UFC an it is isn't remotley close in terms of talent.

As great as McKie looked - hes still behind Max, Volk, Ortega an on par with Barboza,kz, and Zabit

Also as good as Pit Bull has been recently - in that fight it straight looked like McKIe was literally 2 weight classes above him. a 8 in reach advantage n 6 in of height. Pit Bukll would be a nice BW but what fuccksake is he doing at FW
I mean, he did KO Michael Chandler at LW...

I mean, he did KO Michael Chandler at LW...
He caught Chandalier chin yes. Anyone that thinks at his size Pit Bull does anything in ufc fw is wrong imo. He is just too small. He like a slightly less Cejido.

Both the UFC and Bellator have had fighters crossing over that had success and struggles. The list is very long and it's not absolute in either direction, it's fairly even I'd say. People who make it seem like Bellator fighters are this vastly inferior species are the remnants of those who claimed SF HWs and MWs had no chance vs. the UFC divisions and we saw how that panned out.

Bellator is probably stronger in both LHW and FW. I mean you haven't had a fighter looks as impressive as AJ from the start of his career since early Fedor/Jon Jones, and he's probably looked better than both so far. He just pulled a freak submission vs. Caldwell who is one of the best wrestlers followed by both KO'ing and subbing one of the greatest FWs.

What more can you ask of him at this age? So called UFC FW "great" Holloway would've probably been cut by the UFC for losing 3 in a row at age 23 if he hadn't pulled out one of the biggest robberies vs. Leonard Garcia of all people.

AJ has arguably had the most impressive start of an MMA career period, let alone the FW division. And he seems to just be getting better with every fight.

There's no guarantee he makes it to the top in the UFC. Not everyone gets the Michael Chandler treatment when they cross over. The UFC doesn't exactly have the best track record for treating fighters right. Being successful in the UFC is at best a roll of the dice.
If his dad keeps talking nonsense he’ll get the Dana White treatment and get fed the worst possible match up. Not fair and I’d love for him to succeed but the Bald Bastard wants everyone to kiss the ring.

A few recent threads, ok, more than a few, are focused on greatness and is it quality or quantity that should be the indicator. So here is a slightly different take considering this thread is NOT GOAT targeted but just thought provoking...........my opinion......AJ McKee has beaten up a bunch of guys who between them don't even have a single UFC event under their belt. Guys like Benson Henderson who did well in the UFC are now Bellator stepping stones but McKee has not fought any of those. This is NOT a knock against Bellator fightrs as I respect them but rather my view that the UFC is the elite show. My vote, McKee needs to come to UFC and see how he does against a rank 10-15 to see his skill level. Agree? Disagree? Top 10? Top 5? Should he join UFC and who should he fight?

This may surprise you but whilst Bellator doesn't have the overall depth of the UFC many of the top guys in certain weight classes are just as good. AJ Mckee is one of those guys. He has come up inside Bellator and is basically like Max Holloway was back in the day. the difference is Max was dropping fights early in his career before he finally got the belt. Mckee had the same career just didn't drop those losses. All these fighters train together and know who is top level and who isn't. Prospects are signing to both orgs. The prelims are basically TUF and Dana White contender fighters with 3-10 fight records, they then either grow or lose their way into the top 10. AJ Mckee is basically their home grown talent. He is on par with the top 5 at FW in the UFC easily and actually matches up well with the whole division especially Max, Ortega and Volk.

Bellators ranking system is better than the UFC
https://fansided.com/2021/02/18/everything-need-know-bellators-new-ranking-system/
The UFC just picks who they need to rank people higher. Islam making it to top 5 with a guy ranked at 13, who was unranked a week or two before...

I hope they continue these GP tournaments. They are more legitimate than the UFC belt match ups with Usman on his 2nd rematch defence in a row.

Last edited:

We must of course immediately deduct character and intelligence points from any fighter who says they glorify Jesus by beating men into unconsciousness for big paydays. But other than that AJ seems like a nice guy.

So where do you think all these "elite' fighters who get to the UFC come from?? They just miraculously come from UFC itself?

You do know there guys in training ,at this moment who could be in the UFC.. they just haven't got the contract yet.

Sometimes the eye test is good enough. Mckee has everything needed to be an elite fighter in any organization. He's mowed through the competition and made it look easy even while the fighters he's been facing have steadily gotten better. If disposing of Pitbull the way he did isn't enough to convince you that he'd also be an elite talent in the UFC then you need to get your eyes checked.

If his dad keeps talking nonsense he’ll get the Dana White treatment and get fed the worst possible match up. Not fair and I’d love for him to succeed but the Bald Bastard wants everyone to kiss the ring.
Don't have to worry about the Dana White treatment if you never work for him.

Don't have to worry about the Dana White treatment if you never work for him.
You are correct. I do think UFC is the place you have to be to determine you as a fighter. It just seems to be the general consensus. I’m all for more Organizations.

TS has learned nothing from Strikeforce and WEC.
TS, like many sherbros, is a lost cause.

So where do you think all these "elite' fighters who get to the UFC come from?? They just miraculously come from UFC itself?

You do know there guys in training ,at this moment who could be in the UFC.. they just haven't got the contract yet.
I think they rise up the ranks of local fight groups, regional fight groups etc.....

What are you talking about?

Eddie became UFC champ
Volkan is a Bellator reject and fought for the UFC belt
Chandler got KTFO by FW Pitbull in 1 minute and he murked top 10 Hooker and nearly KTFO Oliveira for the belt and Chandler is currently ranked #4
Volkov 0-2 in his last 2 in Bellator and got cut and yet he's ranked #5 in the UFC
Sakai Bellator reject who is top 10 in the UFC

etc etc, the list is too long

You are clueless
Yeah, yeah, yeah, and Mousasi is the best 185 in the world :rolleyes:

You are correct. I do think UFC is the place you have to be to determine you as a fighter. It just seems to be the general consensus. I’m all for more Organizations.

I am and I'm not, on the one hand it's nice for fighters to have options, on the other hand it's not so nice to have elite fighters who never fight each other because they're not in the same promotion.

Back