News AJ McKee Signs New Multi-Fight Contract With Bellator

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/mma/2023/01/10/aj-mckee-signs-new-mult-year-deal-remain-bellator

A.J. McKee has spent his entire career in Bellator. That will continue to be the case for the considerable future.

McKee has signed a multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator, Sports Illustrated has learned. Only a week removed from his last victory, which took place in Japan against Rizin lightweight champion Roberto de Souza in a non-title bout, McKee was entering the final fight of his previous deal. Had he completed that deal, he would have been an extremely sought-after free agent. But this new contract highlights the organization’s desire to make a long-term commitment to him—and provides McKee an opportunity to become one of the greatest ever to grace the Bellator cage.

Bellator President Scott Coker, who has built a career on developing stars in the cage, expressed his excitement in resigning McKee.

“Our top priority has always been to cultivate talent from the ground up, and with A.J., I can proudly say we have witnessed this young man blossom into a bonafide superstar in the Bellator cage,” says Coker. “It’s also our priority to retain that top talent, and with A.J. entering the prime of his career, it was important to make sure he continued representing the Bellator brand, much like he did recently in Japan, for the foreseeable future. I am looking forward to AJ’s next challenge, an appearance in our 2023 Bellator Lightweight World Grand Prix, which showcases the best 155-pounders in the world.”

One of the sport’s rising stars, McKee (20-1) is a former featherweight champion. Only 27, he remains a contender for the featherweight title, where a trilogy bout against Patrício “Pitbull” Freire would be appointment viewing. McKee has competed at lightweight in his last two bouts, and he is also a contender for undefeated lightweight champion Usman Nurmagomedov.

The son of MMA stalwart Antonio McKee, the new contract allows McKee to become an even greater force in the sport.

No surprise, once he lost to Pitbull it kind of took the steam out of leaving imo if he was ever gonna really leave. Never thought he was but PFL could have been a destination for him that paid him esp moving to PPV.

Good news for Bellator. I’m sure they had to give him $400k+ to keep him. But he’s pretty much the only homegrown so far that has completely panned out for Coker in terms of becoming world class so they had to do whatever was necessary to keep him. But it’s cheaper to re-sign a homegrown for $400k than to have to poach a Shane Burgos for $750k or whatever PFL gave him.

Bellator lightweight grandprix looking really nice atm. Wonder who the champ fights first? Usman-AJ Mckee feels like a fight Bellator simply cannot risk losing. Should book it first imo.

Bellator lightweight grandprix looking really nice atm. Wonder who the champ fights first? Usman-AJ Mckee feels like a fight Bellator simply cannot risk losing. Should book it first imo.

They've got a poll on twitter and that's the fight that's winning easily, even if I personally think Shabliy should get it.

They've got a poll on twitter and that's the fight that's winning easily, even if I personally think Shabliy should get it.

Tofiq should get it, he should have gotten it over Usman. I can see both sides of it though. In a perfect world Usman/AJ is the final and they got that with Pitbull at FW but then you look at Reem/Fedor. They didnt make it and never happened. So if you put AJ/Usman on opposite sides maybe it doesnt happen. So might just make it to start the GP off with a big fight which Bellator desperately needs.

Even Tofiq should be ahead of AJ but if i was Scott theres is no way im not making Usman-AJ as the first fight.

Bellator always keeps their top fighters, they rarely let anyone go so no surprise here at all

Usman vs Tofiq
AJ vs Benson
Shabliy vs Patricky
Barnaoui vs Primus

Usman on one side and AJ on the other side of the bracket

Javier latest instagram post says Usman is fighting in San Jose.

Good to hear. Probably ends up a free agent at 30 in his physical prime

Usman vs Tofiq
AJ vs Benson
Shabliy vs Patricky
Barnaoui vs Primus

Thats the most fair and make the most sense but from a entertainment standpoint I dont wanna miss out on AJ-Usman.

Usman vs Tofiq
AJ vs Benson
Shabliy vs Patricky
Barnaoui vs Primus

Sorry bro no way Khabib team takes Tofiq first defense. It’s gonna be Benson. He’s perfect. Older, name value, and no KO power.

No surprise, once he lost to Pitbull it kind of took the steam out of leaving imo if he was ever gonna really leave. Never thought he was but PFL could have been a destination for him that paid him esp moving to PPV.
He made a million on top of whatever he was making per bout, and he is entering another million grand prix. Don't think it was as attractive to him as others

Usman vs Tofiq
AJ vs Benson
Shabliy vs Patricky
Barnaoui vs Primus

Like this would be ideal:
Usman vs Tofiq
Shabliy vs Patricky

AJ vs Benson
Barnaoui vs Primus

Realistically, I dont think AJ will be in the LWGP, though. Bellator will probably push for Pitbull vs AJ trilogy instead. FW needs that fight more because there isnt anyone worth challenging Pitbull right now.

Wr are probably going to see: Usman, Shabliy, Tofiq, Benson, Outlaw, Primus, Barnoui, and Outlaw. Plus 2 up and coming fighters (each other for an alternate spot.

Last edited:
Usman vs Tofiq
Shabliy vs Patricky

AJ vs Benson
Barnaoui vs Primus

Realistically, I dont think AJ will be in the LWGP, though. Bellator will probably push for Pitbull vs AJ trilogy instead. FW needs that fight more because there isnt anyone worth challenging Pitbull right now.

Wr are probably going to see: Usman, Shabliy, Tofiq, Benson, Outlaw, Primus, Barnoui, and Outlaw. Plus 2 up and coming fighters (each other for an alternate spot.
Coker already said in the re-signing announcement that AJ will be in the GP.

Usman vs Tofiq
Shabliy vs Patricky

AJ vs Benson
Barnaoui vs Primus

So 2 Outlaws in the GP? <6>

AJ will be in the GP, he talked already about it in a interview

Patricio can fight the winner of Kennedy/Carvalho or the other option is to fight Khizriev if he beats his next opponent (most likely Borics or Burnell). Patricio just fought so he has time. Khizriev fights in March I think, saw this on insta.

Back