News AJ McKee calls for Brian Ortega grappling match, says UFC fighters are ducking him

He's not the same guy, he is way better now

In terms of mat grappling, we haven't seen much since. At least I haven't. He's a much better MMA fighter, though. I just think his ground game isn't as elite as some people suggest. That's not to say he's not very very dangerous, but yeah, after seeing tavarez slice through his guard and beat him up on the mat for 8 minutes, I'm going to need to see more mat grappling from him before I act like he can't be beat down there by other great MMA grapplers.

Again, I'm not suggesting that he's not a great grappler (he is) but so are plenty of other mma fighters and I think plenty of guys in mma could hang with him or beat him in grappling.

Last edited:
I'm taking about the grappling. He got submitted the moment he shoot on Ortega.

Yes, because he took a bad shot because he was panicking under the heat of the fire fight on the feet.

Also I don't think you remember the Tavares fight correctly. Ortega show his great guard In that fight. Reversed him in the first round and almost submitted him multiple times. He even busted Tavares up off with elbows his back in the second round if i remember correctly.

Also Ortega was 24 at that time and Tavares is a 3rd degree black belt.

I'm watching it now. He shut ortega's guard down for the most part, controlled him for eight minutes while landing good gnp

If ortega didn't knock him out on the feet, he probably would have lost. There's no doubt who got the better of the grappling. Again, we haven't seen any prolonged mat grappling from ortega since then, so I don't know if he's improved there. He was already a high level black belt back then, though. He's a very good grappler.

Last edited:
In terms of mat grappling, we haven't seen much since. At least I haven't. He's a much better MMA fighter, though. I just think his ground game isn't as elite as some people suggest. That's not to say he's not very very dangerous, but yeah, after seeing tavarez slice through his guard and beat him up on the mat for 8 minutes, I'm going to need to see more mat grappling from him before I act like he can't be beat down there by other great MMA grapplers.

Again, I'm not suggesting that he's not a great grappler (he is) but so are plenty of other mma fighters and I think plenty of guys in mma could hang with him or beat him in grappling.
Oh ok, I mostly agree with what you said

I will say in terms of finishing subs, I've seen enough to feel confident he is elite, even pro BJJ level. That guillotine he hit on Cub was one of the most impressive submissions in MMA I've ever seen. SO few guys can finish subs like that at a high level.

Yes, because he took a bad shot because he was panicking under the heat of the fire fight on the feet.

I'm watching it now. He shut ortega's guard down for the most part, controlled him for eight minutes while landing good gnp

If ortega didn't knock him out on the feet, he probably would have lost. There's no doubt who got the better of the grappling. Again, we haven't seen any prolonged mat grappling from ortega since then, so I don't know if he's improved there. He was already a high level black belt back then, though. He's a very good grappler.

Tavares only had success in the second round against Ortega. but even then was his Ortega was threatening subs and constantly attack off his back.

And not to mention tavares is a 3rd-degree black belt, having some success on top is not a bad look on T-City grappling at all. If anything it shows that Ortega has a great guard.

Tavares only had success in the second round against Ortega. but even then was his Ortega was threatening subs and constantly attack off his back.

And not to mention tavares is a 3rd-degree black belt, having some success on top is not a bad look on T-City grappling at all. If anything it shows that Ortega has a great guard.

Look at him, he was a kid back then lol

Ortega had a lot of trouble with moicano until his pressure forced a bad shot out of moicano. Ortega is still the same guy who got handled pretty easily by tavares on the mat, which is coincidentally the only time we've seen prolonged mat grappling from ortega.
You mean in 2014 in a fight he won lol. Where was AJ in 2014, Preschool?

honestly AJ would most likely be Featherweight champ in the UFC. dude is a straight beast

I only see Holloway giving him some trouble

What part of UFC fighters are on contract and cant fight him even if they want to don't you get?

Come on join date 2005, you can do a better troll job then this. Or are you getting senile?
1/10 for your troll effort. What else is in the ufc contract can’t have meals or train with a bellator guy without their permission?

just sayin - but he's talking about bjj, not mma. so the ufc/bellator contracts might not be an issue. fighters were often (commonly?) 'allowed' to participate in bjj/wrestling/etc - even askren did wrestling matches while under ufc contract (and bellator), and dana kinda hated him, so...

I think they'd probably let it happen on SUG, not this High Rollerz thing. They weren't bothered about Jessica Eye grappling Ilima Lei MacFarlane on SUG, so I don't think they'd really care about this.

Back