Air compressors are more dangerous than I thought

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I always wanted an air compressor but could never justify the expense nor the space it takes up since I have no air tools and don't really need air tools.

But I inherited my dad's compressor now and I went online to find out how to use them and came across all these videos talking about air compressors exploding.

Apparently the inside of the tank rusts and weakens the metal after a few years. You can slow this process down by draining the compressed air after each use. But I have no idea if my dad was in the habit of doing this. His compressor is from 1999. Appears to be in good shape so I don't think it was used much but I wonder if it's worth the risk.

I want one too, but I have literally zero use for it.

We have several big industrial ones at my work. They have automatic blow down valves and when they go out you wouldn't believe how fast they fill with water. I always wondered how the personal ones don't seem to have more issues.

Last edited:
I don't need one, I just get a plastic bag and cram air in it with my hands

Amateur.

Use a straw and tie the bag close really fast when you pull the straw out. This works best with a typical grocery store bag and if you pretie a knot, like a shoelace knot, around the straw before filling you can seal it up even faster to keep the air extra fresh.

Always drain it after you use it, if you can, mount the compressor in an outside shed, separate from the main work area.

Why would anyone compress air? Seems a pointless activity.

Amateur.

Use a straw and tie the bag close really fast when you pull the straw out. This works best with a typical grocery store bag and if you pretie a knot, like a shoelace knot, around the straw before filling you can seal it up even faster to keep the air extra fresh.

I'm playing checkers and you're playing chess clearly.

Just as an extra bit of safety advice don't stick it up your ass and turn it on.

Just in case you were curious or something.

Saw the video of the Indian guys at the factory. Once I saw the prankee get woozy and collapse, I thought:
61662721.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a good one with footage of the actual explosion

Been savagely using them for 40 years, never a problem,,An old framer that used to work for me never drained his, thing weighted like 65lbs…lol….50lbs was water…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back