Aikido (Steven Seagal) in MMA: Does anyone actually believe it can work in MMA?

Judo techiques are also present in wrestling. Same with many of the karate techniques in other martial arts. Hate to break it to you, but tossing someone like they do in aikido only happens in aikido. Just because you saw some can get ko'd by a capoeira kick doesnt mean every martial art ever is legit. Gray maynard ko'd himself during a takedown. Should people train in trying to let wrestlers ko themselves?

Wait when did i say that just because a capoeira kick works that means every thing works?

What i was saying is that why do people automatically rule out shit without ever seeing it done?

And just because you think tossing someone like in aikido doesnt work doesnt mean the art doesnt have anything to offer. They have movement and lots of balance and shoulder lock techniques as well. Demonstrations are just that, DEMONSTRATIONS. I saw a san shou demonstration with cung le and he was tossing guys around left and right, then i saw him do that shit in real competition! Omg

Have you not heard GSP say that all his movement and the way he gets in and out is from his karate?

Just because you dont see it clear as day doesnt mean it doesnt have anything to offer.

But sure, just stick with the same shit. Im sure theres absolutely nothing else out there to learn. You have seen it all.

Can it work as a whole? No, i don't think so. But there are a lot of interesting stuff that could be used by some great athlete.
The people trashing every aspect of a martial art are probably the same who used to say that TKD had nothing good, same with karate or Judo.

Can it work as a whole? No, i don't think so. But there are a lot of interesting stuff that could be used by some great athlete.
The people trashing every aspect of a martial art are probably the same who used to say that TKD had nothing good, same with karate or Judo.

Thanks. You are a better writer than i am. I took 10x as long to get my point across and you did it in a paragraph.

Wait when did i say that just because a capoeira kick works that means every thing works?

What i was saying is that why do people automatically rule out shit without ever seeing it done?

And just because you think tossing someone like in aikido doesnt work doesnt mean the art doesnt have anything to offer. They have movement and lots of balance and shoulder lock techniques as well. Demonstrations are just that, DEMONSTRATIONS. I saw a san shou demonstration with cung le and he was tossing guys around left and right, then i saw him do that shit in real competition! Omg

Have you not heard GSP say that all his movement and the way he gets in and out is from his karate?

Just because you dont see it clear as day doesnt mean it doesnt have anything to offer.

But sure, just stick with the same shit. Im sure theres absolutely nothing else out there to learn. You have seen it all.
You mean cung le, the guy who actively ducked jake shields and had a rumored agreement to keep fights standing in strikeforce?
Did you ever consider that half of the shit you listed as eye opening experience has nothing to do with the move but with the athlete? Why dont all bjj or sambo guys scoup up leg locks like palhares? Because theyre incredibly low percentage, same as spinning strikes and jumping strikes. Machida and andersons styles would not work without their physical attributes

You mean cung le, the guy who actively ducked jake shields and had a rumored agreement to keep fights standing in strikeforce?
Did you ever consider that half of the shit you listed as eye opening experience has nothing to do with the move but with the athlete? Why dont all bjj or sambo guys scoup up leg locks like palhares? Because theyre incredibly low percentage, same as spinning strikes and jumping strikes. Machida and andersons styles would not work without their physical attributes

Wait so because cung le apparently ducked some guys that means his martial arts are absolutely bogus? I only used him as an example because he does a lot of spinning shit. But there are lots of fighters that do spinning shit too. Siver, conor, machid, anderson, pettis, werdum i can go on.

Ok and so because someone did a technique it was because they were really good athletes and that technique never existed or was ever trained for?

My god, maybe fighters should never ever practice head kicks. Their percent to land is so low, they should just do punches. Yep.

You are obviously not getting my point. I am saying that there is something that can be learned or discovered if people kept an open mind.

Do you sit and watch mma and always hope a left hook lands? Or do you say holy shit he did some shit i never seen before like jumped off the fence. In your logic, we would never see anything different because those techniques and moves shouldnt be trained for.

Wait so because cung le apparently ducked some guys that means his martial arts are absolutely bogus? I only used him as an example because he does a lot of spinning shit. But there are lots of fighters that do spinning shit too. Siver, conor, machid, anderson, pettis, werdum i can go on.

Ok and so because someone did a technique it was because they were really good athletes and that technique never existed or was ever trained for?

My god, maybe fighters should never ever practice head kicks. Their percent to land is so low, they should just do punches. Yep.

You are obviously not getting my point. I am saying that there is something that can be learned or discovered if people kept an open mind.

Do you sit and watch mma and always hope a left hook lands? Or do you say holy shit he did some shit i never seen before like jumped off the fence. In your logic, we would never see anything different because those techniques and moves shouldnt be trained for.

I'm done. Your reason for bringing up cung was " I saw a san shou demonstration with cung le and he was tossing guys around left and right, then i saw him do that shit in real competition! Omg"
So much spinning shit mentioned right? Fuck off and go try to convince yourself ninjitsu is that next evolutionary step

it's not true karate was thought to be shit pre-Lyoto. GSP, Chuck, Loiseau and countless others did Kyokushin & Kenpo with good success. The point, then, was that traditional karate had shown to be ineffective in early UFC's, which it was. Lyoto's father creating his own variation and Lyoto being a sumo & BJJ practitioner along with it doesn't dismiss that notion. He's 1 example of a unique style who's a complete fighter.

Anderson was a TKD practitioner, but, again, the point was that TKD as a base style was flawed. Anderson had good boxing and good MT to go along with it. As does Pettis.

Aikido's joint locks and slap punches are ineffective if added to a complete package. That's the difference. You won't pull a wrist lock on a trained fighter, nor do you win the stand-up with hand traps 'n slaps. But good kicks and good movement are naturally useful.

I'm done. Your reason for bringing up cung was " I saw a san shou demonstration with cung le and he was tossing guys around left and right, then i saw him do that shit in real competition! Omg"
So much spinning shit mentioned right? Fuck off and go try to convince yourself ninjitsu is that next evolutionary step

Did i not use his spinning shit in what i was saying as my point. Also why did u focus on that? What about the upward elbow, the karate kid kicks? The showtime kick? Or capoeira kicks?

Ok go run off and hide because you have no legit argument except attack the fighter i only used as an argument.

What next? Wrestling doesnt work because jon jones uses eyepokes and is a ****y cheater?

it's not true karate was thought to be shit pre-Lyoto. GSP, Chuck, Loiseau and countless others did Kyokushin & Kenpo with good success. The point, then, was that traditional karate had shown to be ineffective in early UFC's, which it was. Lyoto's father creating his own variation and Lyoto being a sumo & BJJ practitioner along with it doesn't dismiss that notion. He's 1 example of a unique style who's a complete fighter.

Anderson was a TKD practitioner, but, again, the point was that TKD as a base style was flawed. Anderson had good boxing and good MT to go along with it. As does Pettis.

Aikido's joint locks and slap punches are ineffective if added to a complete package. That's the difference. You won't pull a wrist lock on a trained fighter, nor do you win the stand-up with hand traps 'n slaps. But good kicks and good movement are naturally useful.

Im going to disagree on some of your points. Karate along with any other old striking art (boxing, kickboxing, muay thai) was ineffective in the early UFCs. BJJ and then wrestling ruled over them.

Also to say aikido would be completely useless even if applied would he wrong. See you are only seeing what you think. I guarantee you if some kung fu guy did an upward elbow on a movie all you elitist would say zomg that crap wouldnt work.

On that note. What are your thoughts on wing chun or wushu incorporated to mma?

Im going to disagree on some of your points. Karate along with any other old striking art (boxing, kickboxing, muay thai) was ineffective in the early UFCs. BJJ and then wrestling ruled over them.

Also to say aikido would be completely useless even if applied would he wrong. See you are only seeing what you think. I guarantee you if some kung fu guy did an upward elbow on a movie all you elitist would say zomg that crap wouldnt work.

On that note. What are your thoughts on wing chun or wushu incorporated to mma?

the difference is people knowing boxing, kickboxing and MT would work in striking. There's no chinese boxing practitioner dominating K-1 max or transitioning from it to boxing like nak muay fighters or kickboxers have done, or boxers the other way around. Or someone from that background or from Aikido coming to MMA and dominating. Meaning their cross-training transition has been historically useless, while those other arts have shown effective results there and are visibly effective.

the difference is people knowing boxing, kickboxing and MT would work in striking. There's no chinese boxing practitioner dominating K-1 max or transitioning from it to boxing like nak muay fighters or kickboxers have done, or boxers the other way around. Or someone from that background or from Aikido coming to MMA and dominating. Meaning their cross-training transition has been historically useless, while those other arts have shown effective results there and are visibly effective.

bearknuckles will now just say "but no ones used it, so how do you know?"

the argument will never end. he's white knighting aikido in like 5 different threads at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Seagal joined sherdog.

Akido man did well for a 75 year old.

He did well for someone with a missing left arm...

The "mma" fighter obviously did not want to beat up that old, handicapped man.

Punches dont always end a fight. I would honestly risk eating a punch i was ready for and breaking a guys finger, his hand would pretty much be useless and then i could strike with him.

I just think there could be more to learn and improve in martial arts.

The way some mma fans react to some TMAs is downright disrespectful and not progressive for the sport of mma. I mean, phil baroni said kicking is for girls, and guys would look like idiots doing jumping kicks etc. Then machida jumping front kicks couture and pettis flies off the fence and kicks someone in a title fight. Its true people fear what they dont know and fear turns into hatred. Jon jones' arm bending move in the glover fight is an old kung fu move i saw in a movie, (im almost sure it was a wrestling move because my coach showed me something similar in high school).

People need to have more of an open mind when it comes to new stuff. Being closed minded doesnt evolve anything. Same shit is boring.

1. Quoting Phil Baroni is quoting an idiot. Not the best foundation for any argument.

2. All those jumping spinning kicks have been tested and been proven valuable. They used to say the same thing about the jab.

3. Aikido needs to prove itself, somewhere, anywhere, and it'll get the respect it deserves. Jesus, people have even won matches with capoeira moves.

bearknuckles will now just say "but no ones used it, so how do you know?"

the argument will never end. he's white knighting aikido in like 5 different threads at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Seagal joined sherdog.

3664528-5059441657-78793.gif

Back