Aikido or Ninjutsu?

If you want to pretend to be a ninja/samurai warrior then either is a good choice. If you want to learn how to fight then you might want to consider other options.

Don't like neither but aikido might be better.

i dont know how legit the aikido school or the ninjutsu school are. I have taken karate before which is japanese like aikido and ninjutsu and it seemed like a complete joke compared to the korean martial arts ive taken. what do you suggest as an alternitive? it seems everyone on these fourms leans towards brazilian jujitsu and muay thai

take a different style of karate, jujitsu, bjj, mauy thai, boxing....Eskrima, Arnis, Kali, Judo, Sambo, fencing (or just go boffing), wrestling....you could also just find a good mma gym with a mixture of what you want...

Jujitsu is great because it can help you decide if you want to focus on throws, grappling, or strikes....that is if you find a dojo with the right focus and plenty of sparring.

Last edited:
Take sumo if you want to were freaky clothes and act wierd

take a different style of karate, jujitsu, bjj, mauy thai, boxing....Eskrima, Arnis, Kali, Judo, Sambo, fencing (or just go boffing), wrestling....you could also just find a good mma gym with a mixture of what you want...

Jujitsu is great because it can help you decide if you want to focus on throws, grappling, or strikes....that is if you find a dojo with the right focus and plenty of sparring.

I thought eskrima and kali were the same thing though?

I thought eskrima and kali were the same thing though?

I don't know if they are the same or not...if they aren't the same thing they teach basically the same thing....best thing to do when looking for a martial art to train is find nearby places and take one class at each then decide based off what you want, price, and level of training.

It might be handy if you could tell us what are you actually trying to achieve from either art,and why did you quit the previous three arts you tried? .
If there ever even were 'Ninja's' i doubt anyone in the West is privy to and able to teach their arcane techniques....
Aikido is a fairly broad church ranging from schools that emphasis a medatative spiritual way through more 'sport' orientated schools taking the Tomiki approach on to the harder edged Yoshinkan style,so returning to my original point it rather depends on what your really after .

There is alot of controversy and alot of iffy claims and history behind modern Ninjitsu so i think you would just be better off learning Aikido if those are your two choices.:icon_chee

I'd go with Aiki-juijitsu or tradional juijitsu if I were
you TS.

I already have taken taekwondo, hapkido, and karate

If you have already flaked out and not training in taekwondo, hapkido, and karate, you will definitely flake out of Aikido. Aikido takes a very very long time to be even somewhat useful. On the other hand Ninjitsu is full of snow flakes.

If you have already flaked out and not training in taekwondo, hapkido, and karate, you will definitely flake out of Aikido. Aikido takes a very very long time to be even somewhat useful. On the other hand Ninjitsu is full of snow flakes.

lol i didnt flake out of taekwondo, im a 2nd degree black belt and im going for my 3rd degree in a few months. as for karate, i found it to be weak compared to taekwondo and hapkido

What is the reason of you wanting to try that style?

Back