Aikido Help

fightclub1005

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was thinking the other day and im thinking aikido is not going to work in a street fight. I have been taking aikido for four years and i am a blue belt. I take Neongoshen Aikido (sorry for spelling) but its a "improved" Aikido that has been improved for attackers today like punches,bear hugs,and chokes i just think its wont work.

Maybe its just me and because i just got past that "new point" of the art.

I take it the forum is acting up again...

And that said, what's your question? Are you just making a statement or is there something you want to know or discuss?

Here is my opinion of any MA that you're training for self-defense...

Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you train it "alive" against a live-resisting opponent, then you're square. That's the only way you're going to find out if it really works or not...the more moderate to hard sparring you can do, the more you'll REALLY learn...

So if you're practicing Aikido that's trained against just a cooperating opponent...you're not learning anything that'll actually help you in a self-defense situation...

I take it the forum is acting up again...

And that said, what's your question? Are you just making a statement or is there something you want to know or discuss?

Here is my opinion of any MA that you're training for self-defense...

Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you train it "alive" against a live-resisting opponent, then you're square. That's the only way you're going to find out if it really works or not...the more moderate to hard sparring you can do, the more you'll REALLY learn...

So if you're practicing Aikido that's trained against just a cooperating opponent...you're not learning anything that'll actually help you in a self-defense situation...

+1 to that and to add a little further. Going against another opponent that doesn't exactly follow everything Aikido would probably add a little more because the chances of fighting another Aikido guy probably isn't so great. Aikido to me sounds like it could be useful, but I have a feeling you probably have to be really really trained before it actually becomes useful in a self defense manner.

i think this is the most important part... i was training JJJ for couple of months (no belts or nothing) and tried some stuff on a regular Joe that was not quite cooperating and it did not work out well (luckily it wasn't a real fight...

tell your training partners to give you more resistance or to try something unorthodox (go other way) while you're trying your throws/other techniques... make your job harder and you'll get better results

thanks guys i will tell my training parenter to resist more today and to keep on doing it. Thanks guys!

i've always found that if i need to tighten up my aikido skills i just watch back sum steven seagal films :)

lol those things are so corny
but they got me into aikido so did research :-D but yea i can relate to his films

hes one weird guy tho i guess its because im a blue belt just past the new point in the art...

ye check out segal man he rox i would say the aikido he takes tho is for spiritual ways like praying and meditating you have to be somewhere at his level to survive a real life situation ;)
Never doubt yourself too

he tough he was reancarted from a lamba but w/e

anyway i guess when i get to green/purple belt i will realized thats it works

i do a tma and i find that doing it slow at start etc ge technequie down then i tell my partners to come harder more random scream and run in etc way harder but if you understand what you just spent all this time drilling you get the basics right enogh to survive. just tell your partner go harder and mix it up swap sides (this always screws with my head) L/R.

its good for learning body evasion and balance as you close distance but in reality nobody lets you hold their wrist (or whatever) long enough to apply some of the applications. Fights are often too scrappy and the advanced martial artist will control his opponents more by close suffocation of their limbs, hips and shoulders.

we do not only learn thr wrist grab...
that only white/yellow
blue is chokes,and grabs from behinde the back
blue is where i am at i cannot wait until green belt that is defense from punches,kicks :-D

Out of curiosity, why do you do akido? Why not Judo for throws and BJJ for submissions?

I don't know because i've never done it, but everything i've heard about it is pretty negative.

Aikido was the only choice more or less
as i said i was 11-12 when i started and all of the other classes (karate, and the tkd schools were "McDojos") My dad checked them out and didnt like them. So we found an aikido school 10 mins from my house and its real aikido.

Since im getting older and im now 15 i plan to have my blet belt by 17-18 by then i can drive and i can go to a muay thia school in NY (best school on the east coast i heard)

I am actually about to start studying some Aikido. Mind you not from a teacher...but I did manage to find a copy of "Aikido and The Dynamic Sphere" for 9 bucks at the used book store.

Back