Aikido Can it be used as self-defense or in an MMA fight ?

Its 2020. Starting aikido threads should be ban worthy.

This thread is whatever, but I liked the video

That fat bald guy trying to make the dude fall down with hocus pocus was super cringe

Answering the question yes Aikido can be used in self defence and or an mma fight, BUT not the way you imagine. Like Ueshiba once sayd, Aikido tecniques are only to keep you healthy and such should be considered what they are physical exercise. Aikido is mostly a philosophy and not a martial art, this is why an Aikidoka wont say he is an Aikido fighter but an Aikido practicioner. Aikijitsu / Aikijujitsu on the other hand are martial arts designed to actually do some harm and they look today more like a style of Jujitsu, Hapkido. Hope it was helpfull.

These are from Ko Ruy Budo era not about Geidan Budo arts.
Very harsh, more harsh than Lethwei or modern MMA.
Yes you learn how to shoot lazer out of your eyes, extremely deadly.

Yes you learn how to shoot lazer out of your eyes, extremely deadly.
Nope.
You see modern demos and think that for example an uppercut from JJJ guy is less powerful than from a boxer.
Or that these old arts and JJJ didn't used striking and counter striking.
And this is reason why JJJ derived techniques are used by special forces even in police.
Boxing training too.
And japanesse arts were such ineffective that by selecting less damaging stuff Kano was able to create Judo and sambo that does have high influence also from Judo surprisingly does work even in cages. Not only for LEO purposes.

Because athleticism and slogan use as much force as you can use + use opponent's movement energy if it is possible is ....pretty realistic.

Atemi means ....very hard beating.

If old sequence, for example - evasion+ counterstike+ strike + grappling stuff + gnp looks walk in park, that's pretty good.

Definitely old european stuff too was such ineffective that to allow compete they were forced create some rules to separate punching from grappling and kicks plus elbowing and headbutts.

In my very limited training experience in Aikido, which is under two years, I believe anyone taking up the art should have a black belt/equivalent in another style of martial arts. As well as an open mind.

With all of my teachers in Aikido, it was constantly pointed out that "this is the Aikido way to do it" and "this is the ju jutsu way to do it". Ju jutsu meaning JJJ. JJJ were the techniques where you did not protect your opponent, and using them in juyu waza was taboo.

I'd already done karate (Shito-Ryu) and was athletic, as my teacher in that style stressed running, stretches, and calisthenics, particularly sit ups as the modus operandi. Then you train basics, kata, finishing with sparring or group kata.

The Aikido school I studied at is now gone, but there were lots of martial artists from many styles who came for the open mats, and the head of the dojo was very open to other styles.

I hadn't done much multiple opponent sparring until I trained Aikido, where it was pretty much a given that every practice, we were going to practice jiyu waza (free sparring) against 2 or 3 opponents.

Yes, they were restricted in the use of their techniques, but so was I, and it became clear that if I tried to stand and fight against more than one opponent, I was getting swarmed. Which I liked, because I've almost never had a one vs one fight up until then. Wannabe gangsters, like the Fresno Bullfrogs, want to jump you, they don't want a fight.

So the angling, off-centering, and foot work, which was stressed in every technique I learned became useful. Along with the freedom of not having to do anything but simply move the fuck out of the way, without someone bitchin at me.

Also the weapons. Use of the jo, use of a wooden bokken, and a dagger. Just getting to see those "looks" and occasionally sparring with them made me appreciate the use of distance, timing, angle, and line of attack, not worrying so much about the attack itself.

Just don't get hit or cornered, and don't try to force a technique that isn't there to be used.

As others have stated, Aikido was purposefully made sport for use by the general public, who aren't warriors or fighters, just people who want to benefit from martial arts, and it's unique way of connecting people through it's "aliveness".

If you're hung up on martial arts as only fighting, you're missing all of that heavenly glory. That is what Aikido is about, imo.

Also, anyone looking to fight with their martial arts training, would do well to learn from what happened to Alex Gong.

Alex "F-14" Gong was a muay Thai fighter. A top fighter.

In August 2003, while Alex was training at Fairtex Gym in San Francisco, his parked vehicle was struck by another car in the parking lot.

Alex pursued the car on foot, catching up to the man at an intersection.

Alex was then shot at point-blank range, while the coward sped off, and Alex was pronounced dead at the scene.

3 days later, a person of interest was involved in a stand-off with Police, at a hotel, which ended in the man shooting himself in the head, a punkass COWARD to the end.

Fighting is not what you want it to be.

Even for a bad motherfucker like Alex Gong, may God rest his soul.

In my very limited training experience in Aikido, which is under two years, I believe anyone taking up the art should have a black belt/equivalent in another style of martial arts. As well as an open mind.

After looking up Aikido on YouTube, I was able to throw around a 15 year black belt in Aikido. Using Aikido. I'm a Judo BB.

It's not what you think though. If I'm able to throw this guy with Aikido, then surely I'll throw some random schlubs too. So actually I think it was interesting practice. Aikido can serve its purpose of basic defense against random schlubs. That is different from training to totally beat fighters, and once you understand that then you can appreciate.

The difference between me and him was that I knew how to make someone do what I want from Judo, whereas he was reliant on a compliant partner.

Put it another way, most people now accept that wristlocks work in BJJ. It's just a matter of learning what works in application.

Put it another way, most people now accept that wristlocks work in BJJ. It's just a matter of learning what works in application.

Totally agree.

Wrist locks can be controlled, as long as you don't rip into them, your opponent can go with the pressure to protect themselves.

The very first martial art I ever did taught wrist locks, so I've been doing them my whole life. Finger locks as well, which should also be taught, again, as long as no one is ripping the lock.

Never understood why they were illegal to do in some styles, especially when grabbing the collar was a staple of the art being practiced.

I hated it when guys in Judo or Jiu jitsu would grab the collar, stiff-arm me, then just sit there, keeping me at arm's length, passively waiting for me to use a grip break, when I could strip the grip with a wrist lock, start my attack.

Even if the wrist lock only broke their grip, I was, and still am of the opinion, that wrist locks are ahead of grip breaks, in defending someone grabbing ahold of you, because the wrist lock is an attack resulting from a defense.

Much like a parry is better than a block, because with a parry, I'm in position to attack from a place of advantage, rather than a block, which leaves me in the same position I was before when the opponent launched their attack.

*Like*

Cool stuff! Just goes to show there's a lot to be added to the game, much like leg locks were taboo 10-15 years ago, now they're part of a balanced game.

Someone didn't go "Well, I'm just goung to start doing wrist locks!" They exist in martial arts for a reason.

Any time the opponent is gripping something, like a stick or a gi, that hand can be wrist locked with much more leverage, than if they were able to make a fist, and close their hand.

The real question for aikido and other bs martial arts like it should be: does it work better than doing absolutely nothing?

For sure yes, against an untrained opponent of average athleticism. That's not a very interesting measuring stick, though, and it's a slow and inefficient path.

(Source: Reformed Aikido third dan, now BJJ brown belt.)

Last edited:
This thread is whatever, but I liked the video

That fat bald guy trying to make the dude fall down with hocus pocus was super cringe
Thanks friend for the support!

Answering the question yes Aikido can be used in self defence and or an mma fight, BUT not the way you imagine. Like Ueshiba once sayd, Aikido tecniques are only to keep you healthy and such should be considered what they are physical exercise. Aikido is mostly a philosophy and not a martial art, this is why an Aikidoka wont say he is an Aikido fighter but an Aikido practicioner. Aikijitsu / Aikijujitsu on the other hand are martial arts designed to actually do some harm and they look today more like a style of Jujitsu, Hapkido. Hope it was helpfull.
Do you really believe that? You can only be a very similar person or have not watched the video. And Ueshiba was an actor and a liar.

Who does not believe looks at the low video:

With all of my teachers in Aikido, it was constantly pointed out that "this is the Aikido way to do it" and "this is the ju jutsu way to do it". Ju jutsu meaning JJJ. JJJ were the techniques where you did not protect your opponent, and using them in juyu waza was taboo.

I'd already done karate (Shito-Ryu) and was athletic, as my teacher in that style stressed running, stretches, and calisthenics, particularly sit ups as the modus operandi. Then you train basics, kata, finishing with sparring or group kata.

The Aikido school I studied at is now gone, but there were lots of martial artists from many styles who came for the open mats, and the head of the dojo was very open to other styles.

I hadn't done much multiple opponent sparring until I trained Aikido, where it was pretty much a given that every practice, we were going to practice jiyu waza (free sparring) against 2 or 3 opponents.

Yes, they were restricted in the use of their techniques, but so was I, and it became clear that if I tried to stand and fight against more than one opponent, I was getting swarmed. Which I liked, because I've almost never had a one vs one fight up until then. Wannabe gangsters, like the Fresno Bullfrogs, want to jump you, they don't want a fight.

So the angling, off-centering, and foot work, which was stressed in every technique I learned became useful. Along with the freedom of not having to do anything but simply move the fuck out of the way, without someone bitchin at me.

Also the weapons. Use of the jo, use of a wooden bokken, and a dagger. Just getting to see those "looks" and occasionally sparring with them made me appreciate the use of distance, timing, angle, and line of attack, not worrying so much about the attack itself.

Just don't get hit or cornered, and don't try to force a technique that isn't there to be used.

As others have stated, Aikido was purposefully made sport for use by the general public, who aren't warriors or fighters, just people who want to benefit from martial arts, and it's unique way of connecting people through it's "aliveness".

If you're hung up on martial arts as only fighting, you're missing all of that heavenly glory. That is what Aikido is about, imo.

Aikido has no real efficiency in a situation of urban violence. It only works on Aikido displays which the opponent cannot resist.

Back