Agression in wrestling..

B

Brand Nizzle

How important is agression in wrestling? When I wrestle I like to stay very calm and focus on my breathing while at the same time being a very responsive type wrestler. I usually wait for my opponent to make a mistake and I capitalize on it, whether it be getting the underhooks and working from there or a throw or a double leg or something simple like snapping them down and just spinning around and getting the two. I'd have to say I am extremely comfortable with my take down defense. My coaches tell me that I need to get more agressive though, and how "Agression can't be taught." They always use this roid raged kid on my team as an example. lol. idk...thoughts?

You sound a lot like me, except the good takedown defense part. Depending on the situation, I'll go aggressive.

sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it doesn't.

Read my speared in the nuts thread about Bull Horn Aggression..not a good idea.

2/3 times I lost was becuase I was being overly aggressive.

I think what they are refering to is don't be hesitant though, that is the major downfall of most JV and sophomore wrestlers. If you snap somebody down, and aren't pouncing on their back as soon as they hit the floor, that could be the problem.

As someone who has wrestled at a national level it is not agression but intenesaty. Being clam and foucused to me is being intense. That is what wins matches.

Emotion is a double edged sword. It can blind you and cause your technique or tactics to fail, while also providing the edge necessary to step up your performance or impose your will on your opponent. Sometimes I wash myself of emotion to the point that I don't care. Other times I use aggression to step up the intensity. In both cases I end up having more fun, which lets me think clearer and perform better.

P.S. Although I haven't wrestled at a National level, I think you should listen to Gothic Coop above this post.

TapOutGrapler said:
2/3 times I lost was becuase I was being overly aggressive.

You can't be so aggressive that you dive head first into shit and get owned as a result of it. However, you can't just sit and wait for your opponent ro make all the moves either. And by aggressive, your coaches probably don't mean like getting pissed and angry agressive. I think they're saying go on the attack more often, don't wait for your opponent to make mistakes, especially against someone who's as good or better than you. You have to shoot in when you think someone doesn't have their guard up. Being agressive doesn't mean charging the person at the whistle, but you have to attack your opponents or you'll lose, plain and simple. If only to not get called for stalling, you have to be actively engaging your opponent, if you feel like they're going to sprawl out on you and stuff you, then just lower your level and back out. Agression= attacking/effort to gain a takedown etc.

Being too aggressive will force mistakes. You need to be aggressive enough though to pounce on the other guys mistake or whatever move your doing. Find a happy medium because when i get too pumped i usually force moves and screw up

controling your aggerssion.....I try and slow things down and make the other guy wrestle my tempo and then boom takedown.

I always got dominated initially when I wasn't agressive, so I changed that, you have to be able to turn it off.

Aggression seems to be a broad term when used in wrestling. Is aggression taking a wild shot off the whistle, or hitting a crossface with bad intentions? IMHO, aggressive wrestling is hitting you moves fast and hard and imposing you will on your opponent. Don't wait for the duckunder, set it up and TAKE it. Don't try for a half, plant you fore arm in the back of your opponents neck, put his face in the mat and TAKE it. If someone shoots on you, your crossface should make him think twice about shooting a second time. When you grab the back of your opponents neck or his wrist, he should know you're there by the force of your grip. THAT is aggressive wrestling to me.

It isn't taking a wild shot, or grunting, or giving some jackass staredown. Control your aggression, control your opponent.

I think it's pretty hard to do a staredown, considering I'm get into my stance once I get to the middle of the mat, and so does my opponent

being agressive is all on the type of wrestler you are. for me in my matches for most of the guys i wrestle im jsut to agressive and push a pass they cant keep up with. how ever my only lost can becasue of the fact i was to agressive and my opponent saw that and was able to use that against me. the key really is controlled agression while allways being 4 moves ahead, i rely or did rely on the fact that for my weight im really strong or the others are really weak, in ither case i would usually out muscle them. once i was against some one techniquly better and able to use my agression against me i lost and that i think is true with every wrestler.

TapOutGrapler said:
I think it's pretty hard to do a staredown, considering I'm get into my stance once I get to the middle of the mat, and so does my opponent

I was refering to the retards that mean-mug (staredown) :icon_evil from accross the mat, usually while another match is going. I once wrestled a guy who busted out a Van Damme split right before he stepped on the mat. He was dead serious with that shit too. Even his own team laughed at him.

I was taught that you should always be aggressive. I think Dan Gable had the same philosophy.

SoulWound666 said:
You can't be so aggressive that you dive head first into shit and get owned as a result of it. However, you can't just sit and wait for your opponent ro make all the moves either. And by aggressive, your coaches probably don't mean like getting pissed and angry agressive. I think they're saying go on the attack more often, don't wait for your opponent to make mistakes, especially against someone who's as good or better than you. You have to shoot in when you think someone doesn't have their guard up. Being agressive doesn't mean charging the person at the whistle, but you have to attack your opponents or you'll lose, plain and simple. If only to not get called for stalling, you have to be actively engaging your opponent, if you feel like they're going to sprawl out on you and stuff you, then just lower your level and back out. Agression= attacking/effort to gain a takedown etc.

i agree with everything in this post ^^ i've wrestled for about 13 years and i remember that that was my biggest problem as well my coaches would tell me to get more aggresive instead of letting my opponent take me down, they wanted me to attack first, but they still wanted me to keep a cool head while you doing it.

Back