Agression from distance

thnx for all the replys guys.

what about leg kicks? like jab+lowkick or something? or just lowkick?

Tell that to all the MMA fighters who cannot stop the takedown. Aren't you the guy who just started training? I've seen your threads... I wouldn't go making ignorant claims if you have been training for a week lol.. it doesn't matter how easy you think it is to sprawl, but if a guy is a good wrestler he IS going to get you down if you are just a striker who has practiced a bit of sprawl.

I thought my Balto pic was good but that's a much better explanation.

thnx for all the replys guys.

what about leg kicks? like jab+lowkick or something? or just lowkick?

It depends on how comfortable you are throwing kicks. If you're good and can throw a kick and have your leg back in a split second it's good to utilize that. If you leave your leg hanging out there when you kick then it's a bad idea [IE Single leg]

Kick him a time or two and gauge his reaction, if it seems like he's reaching for that leg then stop.

Joshua C, you're thinking about stand-up. I'm significantly better at grappling.

Besides that, I would think that I would know about the sprawl since it's my favorite move and it's practically all I do in wrestling.

Make strong use of feints also, feint the leg kick, feint the jab to see his reaction and you will get a general feel for the game he brings.

Besides that, I would think that I would know about the sprawl since it's my favorite move and it's practically all I do in wrestling.

Sorry, I don't buy the fact that sprawling is easy. Sure the technical aspect of the sprawl is straight forward but if using it to effect was that "easy" as you say then we wouldn't have guys getting laid on for 15 minutes in every second fight.

Have you ever thought maybe they get laid on because the don't learn any wrestling and just stick to pulling on a guy's head when they get taken down? Jamie Yeager, a guy who's not even a wrestler, can sprawl. Really, it's easier than people make it out to be. I mean, if you have the reflexes to dodge a punch, you have the reflexes to sprawl. Just cuz nobody does it doesn't mean it's hard to do, it means they don't practice it.

Have you ever thought maybe they get laid on because the don't learn any wrestling and just stick to pulling on a guy's head when they get taken down? Jamie Yeager, a guy who's not even a wrestler, can sprawl. Really, it's easier than people make it out to be. I mean, if you have the reflexes to dodge a punch, you have the reflexes to sprawl. Just cuz nobody does it doesn't mean it's hard to do, it means they don't practice it.

Nobody practices sprawls? In a sport where wrestlers have infested and you think because a college wrestling divisional champion can take down people that means that those people don't practice wrestling? lol.. this isn't 1993, everybody trains in every aspect of the game, some are just better than others and sprawling won't stop every takedown, there are more variables than you are giving credit to.

Yes, I do believe that because college wrestlers can takedown non-wrestlers it's because they don't train wrestling. They obviously have some reluctance towards wrestling or else they would be wrestlers, too. It's not that hard to enroll yourself in a wrestling class in high school, and for some reason guys like Kenny Florian didn't and guys like Gray Maynard did. Look at GSP. Before he was an MMA fighter, he never wrestled. He was originally a stand-up fighter with good jits. But now, he arguably has the best wrestling in MMA, because he practices it as opposed to guys like Hardy and Daley who are like "Wrestling's for queers!". If you think about it, most college and high school wrestlers only actually wrestle 3 months out of the year. It is NOT that hard.

Yes, I do believe that because college wrestlers can takedown non-wrestlers it's because they don't train wrestling. They obviously have some reluctance towards wrestling or else they would be wrestlers, too. It's not that hard to enroll yourself in a wrestling class in high school. Look at GSP. Before he was an MMA fighter, he never wrestled. He was originally a stand-up fighter with good jits. But now, he arguably has the best wrestling in MMA, because he practices it as opposed to guys like Hardy and Daley who are like "Wrestling's for queers!". If you think about it, most college and high school wrestlers only actually wrestle 3 months out of the year. It is NOT that hard.

So does Forrest Griffin not train in Striking because he couldn't avoid Anderon's strikes, or according to your logic Crocop doesn't train kickboxing because he couldn't avoid Gonzaga's high kick. See how retarded that sounds? These fighters obviously train wrestling, the brits that you pointed out is more a question of the caliber of wrestlers they are training with. GSP is a freak of nature, you won't find another guy who didn't wrestle in HS/College and go onto dominate the wrestlers that did.

Crocop had an arm injury and Forest Griffin is a good striker, he's just too damn slow. And GSP isn't a freak of nature. The only thing that really sets him apart is his mindset.

And I guarantee you Paul Daley hasn't wrestled a day in his life. Hardy, well, maybe a little bit, but he focuses more on BJJ.

Crocop had an arm injury and Forest Griffin is a good striker, he's just too damn slow. And GSP isn't a freak of nature. The only thing that really sets him apart is his mindset.

People say the only nick in GSP's armor is his mental game, he also sees a sports psychologist, and the Crocop arm injury (doubt the validity of that statement) doesn't mean anything. The point is, everyone who trains at an MMA camp trains in all aspects of the game. I'm not going to go further with this because this is becoming stale and like talking to a wall and i'm sure everyone on this forum will agree that what you are saying is fairly ridiculous...

And I guarantee you Paul Daley hasn't wrestled a day in his life. Hardy, well, maybe a little bit, but he focuses more on BJJ.

Wrong again, just because they aren't good at it doesn't mean they don't wrestle.

I was just about to say the same about you. Everyone thinks new-age fighters are just the epitome of everything, but they're people, too, and just like us, they have egos. And what I'm talking about when I say GSP's mindset is his strategy and how he's always so humble. And his psychology WAS a problem, but like you said, he started visiting a sports psychologist.

And dude, have you ever been injured? You can't raise your arm as high or as quickly.

And dude, have you ever been injured? You can't raise your arm as high or as quickly.

Yes I separated my ribs last month training and I still went to training (even though I was in a ridiculous amount of pain and I could still hold my guard up). Not to mention, that shouldn't matter about not being able to bring your arm up quick enough as you say, since his guard should already be up at all times as he is a veteran and accomplished elite kickboxer. Can somebody else chime in here and tell this guy that yes MMA fighters train wrestling?? I honestly can't believe you are claiming that it is easy to not get taken down by a divisional college wrestling champion..

Ribs are completely different. Ribs make body shots hurt a lot more and it makes moving your torso around like an uninjured person hard, but it doesn't suck the gasout of your arm. If you have a shoulder or arm injury, your arm gets tired quick after holding it up. Watch Toney vs. Holyfield. And if you're at a distance, then no, you shouldn't get taken down because you have enough time to sprawl. And this is comin' from someone whose hands become blurry when my arms are straight out. And I'm pretty sure I'm not an NCAA Division 1 champ. And if I have -4 in each eye, imagine an elite level athlete with perfect vision. I admit, if you're up against the cage, it's pretty damn hard unless you know what you're doing, but you shouldn't BE against the cage in the first place if you have good footwork.

And SOME MMA fighters train wrestling, but guys like Daley, Hardy, and Florian obviously don't. Tell you what. Let's both watch Kenny's next fight. If he gets taken down, I will start a new account and the sig will say "I'm a f*cking dumbsh*t". If Kenny DOESN'T get taken down, though, you have to do the same thing.

Back