Agression from distance

Andry

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive got my first fight coming up in october. I wanna keep the fight standing and i probably have a reach advantage. I want to be aggressive, chase him around with punches and keep him backing but i also want to maintin distance so i dont get takedowned. got any tips?

My biggest advice is going to be to use your jab.

Jab, jab and more jab... and then jab some more. Not only will this let you measure your distance so you constantly know how in or out of range you are, but if you have a solid jab it will keep your opponent at bay and fluster him + not make him want to come in if he is eating stiff jabs constantly. Even if you feel he is going to shoot, jab while circling out so he can't get the timing/rhythm down of his shot and distance.

Get him in the clinch and use them long legs to knee him into oblivion.

Use the jab and your cross. And don't worry about getting taken down. He can shoot in on you from a distance anyways, so it's moot. Just sprawl him if he shoots.

And push his head down when you do it so he can't turn the corner.

Use the jab and your cross. And don't worry about getting taken down. He can shoot in on you from a distance anyways, so it's moot. Just sprawl him if he shoots.

Yes but the further away the shot is the less likely he will a.) do it or b.) he comes even close to succeeding with it, not to mention "just sprawl" is easier said than done.

Maintain distance with the jab, don't reach with your punches and maintain your distance by setting up the cross with stiff jabs and always be prepared for the shot.

You still have a fair chunk of time to train for the fight, train takedown defense and learn to get back to your feet. this will mean F--- all if he's a seasoned grappler unless your crazy strong but it will keep you from freaking out in the off chance you get taken down.

I would recommend the jab as has been stated in this thread. It will keep him away and get him frustrated so he'll start to make mistakes. A solid hook to the ribs will put down most of us grapplers who aren't used to it, so if you see that take it. Someone said he could shoot from a distance, if he does that knee his face to bloody mush for being so F---ing stupid.

Always remember "The jab is your offense, the jab is your defense"

You say you "probably" have a reach advantage? Havent you scouted your opponent? Get some film on him and when you are resting/recovering watch it...study his tells, and look for something you might not have seen that you can use to your advantage...having a game plan is paramount, and using the films to fine tune it can most certainly give you the extra edge. GOod Luck

Not sure if this will help in an MMA fight, but... just this week my coach was teaching me this combo in Muay Thai where he had me, from just about the edge of kick range, spring forward with a jab - it kind of seemed to me like a swordfighting thing I'd see in a movie, where you spring forward off your rear foot and throw the jab, if that makes sense? Anyway, you spring forward with the jab and close distance that way, it's pretty fast, then you throw a right cross, then something with the left, and then you move back out of punch range quickly. He had me doing a few different things with the left, a body shot or a head hook or even just a weak jab as I moved backwards (for distraction). Again, not sure if it would help any in MMA, and obviously the other guy isn't just going to stand there while you do this, but maybe something similar could work for you?

Chuck was able to sprawl all the time. It's literally the easiest wrestling move you can do.

Chuck was able to sprawl all the time. It's literally the easiest wrestling move you can do.

baltogrin.jpg

You should try to make him come to you. If you are the aggressor you instantly put yourself in a situation where you are more likely to get taken down.

Jab, left hook, and sprawl. You can jab-cross, but you are probably better off going jab- right upper cut.

Punish him for shooting using knees and uppercuts. Always remain prepared with the hand that isn't throwing a punch to get an underhook to stop the double leg. Hips to the ground as quickly as possible. Look for Guillotines if he gets past your sprawl. If you get put down don't settle, scramble.

Knee with the lead leg when he shoots. You may hit him but at worst you give him a single leg. A single leg is way easier to defend (push his head away).

You should try to make him come to you. If you are the aggressor you instantly put yourself in a situation where you are more likely to get taken down.

Jab, left hook, and sprawl. You can jab-cross, but you are probably better off going jab- right upper cut.

Punish him for shooting using knees and uppercuts. Always remain prepared with the hand that isn't throwing a punch to get an underhook to stop the double leg. Hips to the ground as quickly as possible. Look for Guillotines if he gets past your sprawl. If you get put down don't settle, scramble.

Knee with the lead leg when he shoots. You may hit him but at worst you give him a single leg. A single leg is way easier to defend (push his head away).

good solid advice...except for the right uppercut thingy. Most KB/MMA guys dont know how or when to throw a proper rear uppercut. You leave yourself open to a monster right if you throw it just normally.
Footwork will take of 70-80% of his problem.

Thats what Lidell was good at. Keeping u at the end of his range where he could hit you .

good solid advice...except for the right uppercut thingy. Most KB/MMA guys dont know how or when to throw a proper rear uppercut. You leave yourself open to a monster right if you throw it just normally.

Thats what Lidell was good at. Keeping u at the end of his range where he could hit you .

It is true the rear upper cut is a risky shot, personally I've had success with it against people with good double leg shots. But I also have put the bulk of my training in at the boxing gym :D

It is true the rear upper cut is a risky shot, personally I've had success with it against people with good double leg shots. But I also have put the bulk of my training in at the boxing gym :D

yup..i use it too. One of these days i will get clocked.

Ironically a rear hand uppercut is what got him KTFO by Rashad lol.

Tell that to all the MMA fighters who cannot stop the takedown. Aren't you the guy who just started training? I've seen your threads... I wouldn't go making ignorant claims if you have been training for a week lol.. it doesn't matter how easy you think it is to sprawl, but if a guy is a good wrestler he IS going to get you down if you are just a striker who has practiced a bit of sprawl.

Tell that to all the MMA fighters who cannot stop the takedown. Aren't you the guy who just started training? I've seen your threads... I wouldn't go making ignorant claims if you have been training for a week lol.. it doesn't matter how easy you think it is to sprawl, but if a guy is a good wrestler he IS going to get you down if you are just a striker who has practiced a bit of sprawl.

Yep, and even if you do sprawl and get your hips over his head the danger doesn't end. You have to know how to get out without him fighting threw it, grabbing a single leg etc.

Chuck wasn't just some kickboxer that master the sprawl, he had wrestling pedigree and when he did get taken down he didn't get held down for long.

Yep, and even if you do sprawl and get your hips over his head the danger doesn't end. You have to know how to get out without him fighting threw it, grabbing a single leg etc.

Chuck wasn't just some kickboxer that master the sprawl, he had wrestling pedigree and when he did get taken down he didn't get held down for long.

Exactly look at Kenny Florian, he is an elite level MMA fighter yet still cannot stop the takedown and he trains wrestling with GSP.. the point is it's not just "that easy" or everybody would just "sprawl and stop the takedown".

Back