Agree with Chris Weidman on this one?

Does he consider his fights against Romero and Rockhold winnable?

i do.

he did a dumb move when it looked like he was taking over vs Rockhold, and he was actually beating Yoel before he got KO'd.

do people even watch fights anymore or just read sherdog fight finder? because the same shit was being said about Anderson Silva before he fought Adesanya, "oh he's old, washed up lost most of his recent fights etc.," but nobody sees the context, which is extremely important when breaking fights down.

Anderson lost to all guys who became or were champions, one who is the current HW champion.

same with Weidman to a lesser degree. Weidman has fought all the best MWs in the world, and he won rounds in all of those fights.

his cardio is getting shittier, he's getting slower and stiffer probably due to injuries, and he's definitely not in his prime, but he still has heart, determination, and the ability to grind people down unless they literally KO him.

to put it into perspective, he beat the guy who's fighting for the title. styles make fights people, not numbers on sherdog fight finder.

i do.

he did a dumb move when it looked like he was taking over vs Rockhold, and he was actually beating Yoel before he got KO'd.

do people even watch fights anymore or just read sherdog fight finder? because the same shit was being said about Anderson Silva before he fought Adesanya, "oh he's old, washed up lost most of his recent fights etc.," but nobody sees the context, which is extremely important when breaking fights down.

Anderson lost to all guys who became or were champions, one who is the current HW champion.

same with Weidman to a lesser degree. Weidman has fought all the best MWs in the world, and he won rounds in all of those fights.

his cardio is getting shittier, he's getting slower and stiffer probably due to injuries, and he's definitely not in his prime, but he still has heart, determination, and the ability to grind people down unless they literally KO him.

to put it into perspective, he beat the guy who's fighting for the title. styles make fights people, not numbers on sherdog fight finder.
Was obviously not winning against Romero. He was outwrestled.

I had him up vs Romero before he I don't know why decided to shoot in

Seems im not alone thinking he was winning that one.

It’s not that he lost ,it’s how his whole intensity and cardio has changed . He has to switch his style otherwise he won’t be successful . His cardio isn’t that good anymore and he can’t keep guys on the ground . His paths to victory has been diminished greatly . Maybe he can become like randy a wall and Stall guy

Chris Weidman was nothing but a hypejob who made his name off of a few lucky flukes. Glad to see there is no longer a question about that.

Do people still run with the "Weidman was beating Yoel" crap?

It was 1-1 clearly, unless Chris was winning the first 20 seconds of Round 3 until Yoel became superman.

IMO, Romero yes, Rockhold no. I think Rockhold was in control. The spin kick just exacerbated matters.
as a luke rockhold fan, wiedman was controlling the fight right up until the spin kick and I hate wiedman but he was gonna win a easy UD if it wasnt for that

Yep. Weidman was winning at least one round against Rockhold, Jacare, Romero and Mousasi.
he cracked moose with some good shots, I thought he might tko moose with the way moose was fighting in his last UFC fights, with his chin up and a offense only attitude

Chris Weidman was nothing but a hypejob who made his name off of a few lucky flukes. Glad to see there is no longer a question about that.

He had a good run. Yep, he's faced a murderer's row. I think he can turn it around but I don't actually know really what he would have to change.

There's no way Jacare should be outboxing him for a start

as a luke rockhold fan, wiedman was controlling the fight right up until the spin kick and I hate wiedman but he was gonna win a easy UD if it wasnt for that

I don't know about easy UD given there was a lot of clock left from memory). Without going back and rewatching tape, I felt that while Wiedman might've had the upper hand but I distinctly remember thinking "jeez, he's slowing down quick. He's going to have to slow the pace down if he thinks he's going to have to last 5" followed by "that kick reeked of desperation".

kTDN9cI.png

Factually correct, with the possible exception of “winnable,” depending on how you define that term. He was competitive in all of the fights, which I suppose means he could have won had he not been knocked out ‍♂️

He’s a very good fighter but when it comes to evaluating the title picture he’s like his own oblivious publicist. The Silva knockouts were just good, non-fluke wins since “taunting is part of Silva’s game” and “I checked that leg kick.” But his losses come with a bit of an asterisk because he was winning at one point before making a mistake.

Look, he’s really good. He cleaned out the division before the competition caught up to him, and even now it’s barely overtaken him. He could probably give Whittaker a very competitive match. He could probably beat Adesanya (personally I think that would be the fight IA should have to win before he gets a title shot, but Dana wants to fast-track him).

Here’s the bad news though: even if we throw out the Mousasi fight based on the strange finish, Chris has been rocked very badly against Rockhold, Jacaré, Romero and Gastleum. If he thinks he almost had a win against any of the guys who beat him, he almost had a loss against Kelvin just as much.

I feel a bit bad for the guy, because he’s had his moments against everyone and his striking never looked better than it did against Jacaré. I don’t fault him for being optimistic when he sees a man he defeated lined up for the title shot, a man he beat twice in the eliminator, and a guy he probably thinks he can maul winning that eliminator. But the damage is piling up, and he’s going to be in real danger of another knockout against virtually anyone he gets matched up against next.

I don't know about easy UD given there was a lot of clock left from memory). Without going back and rewatching tape, I felt that while Wiedman might've had the upper hand but I distinctly remember thinking "jeez, he's slowing down quick. He's going to have to slow the pace down if he thinks he's going to have to last 5" followed by "that kick reeked of desperation".
idk fight metric says he fucked him up in the 2nd round and that the takedown was in the 3rd, so I am wrong

Yeah I guess I’d agree. Hes fought a murders row since winning the belt. Sadly, no one really acknowledges that unless you win those fights especially when you get flying-kneed into a cross eyed half death.

it's pretty accurate

Weidman has done alright even In his losses. Unfortunately these fights just seem to run away from him. He really shouldn't have lost his last fight against Jacare. His fight IQ and boxing In general needs some tweaking.

Weidman is still a legit fighter and a tough fight for anyone. I wanna see him fight like he did against Gastelum every time.

Belfort, Silva and Machida? Give him his due

The two Anderson fights were fluky, Belfort was drained of all his enhancements and looked like a welterweight, and Munoz had a fractured foot. His win over Machida was impressive tho for sure, I'll give him that.

I think Weidman may forever face a backlash over the hype everyone put behind him after he beat Silva. We all had to endure 2 or 3 years of so much GOAT talk and brazilian fighter bashing that it's left a permanent distaste for Mr. Weidman. Perhaps if he didn't feed into it himself while celebrating flukes like real wins people wouldn't be so hard on him.

Same kind of deal as Holly Holm. The recent record is pretty misleading. When you consider who they were fighting, and the competitive nature of the fights; they are both still high quality fighters in their respective divisions.

i do.

He was beating Romero? He only proved that a No. 3 of NCAA Division I still had a long way to catch up with a World Championship gold medalist.

I had him up vs Romero before he I don't know why decided to shoot in
NCAA wrestlers have too many eggs in single leg and double leg. Kurt Angle used to comment on Brock Lesnar that the latter just knew shooting repetitively, so that the former just needed to defend that.

Back