Agree or disagree: Today's Jon Jones is more difficult to beat than younger Jon

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The narrative lately is that Jon is "slowing down." And sure maybe he has a tad bit. It's only natural after 10+ years in the game. Only natural you aren't as light on your feet in your 30s as you were in your early 20s.

I'm not really buying the narrative personally. Yes Jon does fight much more conservatively nowadays. Most of us fell in love with with Jon because of his unpredictable, brutal, yet beautiful display of viciousness he showed early in his career.

Early on it seemed that he was freestyling and doing whatever move came to his imagination. Nowadays I feel he is much more cerebral and disciplined. He's also much better defensively.

Case in point his fight against Gus. I don't see how people weren't impressed. The claimed B.S. that Gus was washed up but there is no evidence of this. The truth was Jon and his camp came in with the perfect gameplan to completely nullify and shut Gus down. Some people like to act like steroids knocked DC the fuck out but even HE kn ok knows that Jon whooped him twice.

I mean,

He may be more technical and smarter now

But he was so much faster in his prime

Look at his fight against Rashad & the first Gus fight.

559971.jpg

Should've been a poll! I strongly agree he's more rounded, calculated, and experienced.

He's far more dangerous.

Sometimes he seems a little disinterested lately. Particularly in the Thiago fight, he was taking a lot more damage than he was giving, from a guy on one leg, and was content to coast along.

Old Jon rarely got touched. Current Jon gets hit a hell of a lot more and has closer fights

The younger Jones didn’t have the ability to randomly pulse turinabol metabolites.

Younger Jon more likely to finish you with all the stuff he was going for

New Jon is way more methodical and defensive and just seems to coast in a lot of his recent fights

He's more crafty no doubt. He's an extraordinary fighter, fuck the haters

Younger jon was nearly choaking folks to death and splitting noses. Jj should have way more finishes on his resume then he does ..

True that Jones is better now and thus tougher to beat. But the level of opposition is better too. The whole MMA game has improved.

He’s more difficult in that he has far fewer holes and is in elite physical shape; but there’s also 10 years worth of film on him fighting the best of the best of all styles, and every single fighter in LHW has come up studying for years and training for their shot.

Disagree.

Jones ia slowing down. He doesnt have that huge size advantage in all fights, and his kicks are more conservative.

Santos just didnt beat his ass cause he hurt his kness.

Today's jones has more experience and is more cautious. Young jones did weird wild shit making him unpredictable. Id say today's jones is more dangerous because its a big mental warfare game. You have all this footage you can study of him and he keeps winning.

Back