Aggressive fighters with good jabs.

Pryor's a great shout. I didn't know Qawi was that short, that's crazy for a lhw. I never understood the manlet thing, and I wouldn't dare try it w/ him. I'd tell him he was 6'3" if we ever met, haha. I need to watch more tape on him, I know he was a great fighter but he's one of those guys I haven't been down the rabbit hole w/ his fights yet.

If you want to see Qawi at his peak, check out his fights with Mike Rossman, Matthew Saad Muhammad & Eddie Davis at light heavyweight. And even though it's in a loss, his best performance at cruiserweight was when he lost his title to Evander Holyfield. It was an epic fight that I still believe Qawi edged & should have won.

Aaron Pryor had a good, busy jab that he didn't always use when he was coming forward but on those occasions when he switched things up & boxed it was very good.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi had a quick, hard jab that he advanced behind. It was especially impressive because he was only 5'7" at light heavyweight ( I'd love for someone to call hin a "manlet" back in the day so I could listen to their cries as dragged them out back to give them a Rahway State Prison beatdown ).
Qawi was one hell of a fighter, his matches against saad Muhammad, and holyfield are classics.

If you want to see Qawi at his peak, check out his fights with Mike Rossman, Matthew Saad Muhammad & Eddie Davis at light heavyweight. And even though it's in a loss, his best performance at cruiserweight was when he lost his title to Evander Holyfield. It was an epic fight that I still believe Qawi edged & should have won.
Thanks, bud. Will check those out for sure.

Btw respect for being a G from Upstate NY! Always respect you for repping us. The Onion Farmer would be proud, my friend.

Aaron Pryor had a good, busy jab that he didn't always use when he was coming forward but on those occasions when he switched things up & boxed it was very good.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi had a quick, hard jab that he advanced behind. It was especially impressive because he was only 5'7" at light heavyweight ( I'd love for someone to call hin a "manlet" back in the day so I could listen to their cries as dragged them out back to give them a Rahway State Prison beatdown ).
He had a freakish reach for his size though, like 78 or something.

Out of old-timers, Jake LaMotta, who I believe was a converted southpaw, relied largely on working with his left hand.

Not that many "old school fighters" doubled and tripled up their jab and left-hook the way LaMotta did, to the body and the head. For his time, he possessed many tools which came to be a template for other boxers of similar height and build.

Unfortunately most of the footage we have is of an older, fatter washed-up Jake, so we don't really get a good perspective of how good he may have been. Still, he does appear to get the better of Robinson with the jab (though not anything else), despite being slower and shorter in height and reach.

Last edited:
For current dudes Navarrete has pretty good jab. It’s devastating as well. In his last fight Elorde was already busted up around the eyes just from that brick of a jab.

Back