Aggressive fighters with good jabs.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Usually, when I think of a fighter with a good jab, I think of a tall, rangy fighter who prefers to box. But what about some short, aggressive fighters with good jabs?

Tyson and Duran are some.

GGG isn't short but sometimes lately I think his jab is all that keeps him competitive versus the top guys—apparently the last thing you lose is not your punch but your jab.

Inoue's another aggressive (though not short) guy with a very good jab.

Holyfield's (6'2" is short-ish for a heavy, right?) jab kicked arse—doubled up or just slammed into a taller opponent's left shoulder.

Ike Quartey was on the aggressive side whilst having a good jab imo.

High volume of punches.

Last edited:
I'll drop Manny Pacquaio.

Though aggressive is somewhat vague. I don't think anyone would describe Miguel Cotto or Ike Quartey as passive or overly defensive, even though they're not all out brawlers. Same goes for Canelo. James Toney and George Benton were defensive, they kept their heads off center among other defensive tools, but their Philly Shell style was very aggressive.

At heavyweight I'm thinking of Sonny Liston and George Foreman,... Neither of the two was short, but they weren't fencing off of their back foot.

Last edited:
Pavlik is the first guy to come to mind for me. Froch is another guy. Both aggressive fighters, esp Pavs. All he knew was forward.

Cotto is a decent answer.

alot of them do and many of them underuse it because they wanna scrap. Joe Frazier, even though he had a deformed elbow, had a pretty good jab that he rarely used. The aformentioned Tyson, he had a fine jab, fast, hard and he knew a secret; "it's all timing". But even he would abandon the jab and just bomb away. In the pinklon fight he was instructed to jab and when rooney thought he'd seen enough he told him to start taking him out. Jake Lamotta had a real good jab, he jabbed well with robinson. For a shorter guy, oftentimes, the jab is just used to disquise other things, tyson feinted well with his jab while he'd step in and throw power punches.

Hagler could jab and be aggressive. So could Cotto.

Hagler could jab and be aggressive. So could Cotto.
ya, hagler was more a technician in my book. great jab though, he had a fantastic right jab that could knock his opponent totally off balance like you rarely see. I've often compared it to bruce lee's "straight blast" vertical fist and a lot of bodyweight behind it and you ad his longish reach in their relative to his height and it was something to see.

mercer comes to mind

edit: de la hoya as well

Last edited:
Aaron Pryor had a good, busy jab that he didn't always use when he was coming forward but on those occasions when he switched things up & boxed it was very good.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi had a quick, hard jab that he advanced behind. It was especially impressive because he was only 5'7" at light heavyweight ( I'd love for someone to call hin a "manlet" back in the day so I could listen to their cries as dragged them out back to give them a Rahway State Prison beatdown ).

Vitali Klitschko in the Chris Arreola fight maybe?

Aaron Pryor had a good, busy jab that he didn't always use when he was coming forward but on those occasions when he switched things up & boxed it was very good.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi had a quick, hard jab that he advanced behind. It was especially impressive because he was only 5'7" at light heavyweight ( I'd love for someone to call hin a "manlet" back in the day so I could listen to their cries as dragged them out back to give them a Rahway State Prison beatdown ).
Pryor's a great shout. I didn't know Qawi was that short, that's crazy for a lhw. I never understood the manlet thing, and I wouldn't dare try it w/ him. I'd tell him he was 6'3" if we ever met, haha. I need to watch more tape on him, I know he was a great fighter but he's one of those guys I haven't been down the rabbit hole w/ his fights yet.

Surprised no one said Foreman.
edit- guess someone did.

Golovkin. He had an excellent jab and was always coming forward applying pressure.

Back