Aggression while sparring/fighting

I thought about just letting it go but damn guys do you read before you respond? I think legshot may be the only one that understood that I DO control my aggression but I would like to be able to use that agression effectively.

I did not say that I snapped on anyone in sparring or that I cant keep my composure.

Maybe its too deep for some of you or maybe you dont have any idea WTF I'm talking about but you should atleast read/comprehend if you are going to use your keyboard warrior skills to slay the mighty white belt.

First off, make sure you're not confusing the "zone" with losing control. Anyone who's fought seriously knows this place of mental peace. Pain being reduced, faster responses, etc. Basically an adrenaline dump. As long as you can keep you head in such a situation, you'll be fine. How? Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and more Practice.

As long as you stay out of control of your actions, you'll never be at your best. I'm sure you know this, but I have a reason for bringing it up.

Your no mind/blank mindset seems more survival based and not retaliatory. That said, the auto-pilot reaction is a great way to get stomped and put out even faster than keeping your cool and being in control of the situation. A human's natural weapon is his mind. Going on auto in a situation like this is akin to fighting with a stick in a fire fight.

This "nobody can hurt me", "I don't feel pain", "eliminate the enemy" talk makes me wonder if you've ever been humbled. I mean put in positions where no matter what you did, you were outclassed. When this happens, you'll realize your best bet isn't going feral, but doing the exact opposite and controlling the situation.

Also, realize what your doing at the moment. You're not in a survival situation. Street-fighting requires a completely different mindset. MMA != Street-fighting. You should be either sparring or competing. Not trying to off someone. That said, there is no need for such a reaction at anytime. If your getting tooled, either suck it up or walk away and train with someone else who's willing to train, instead of stroking their ego.

Personally, I think aggression is over-rated. I perform better calm and collected, not "angry" like my old football coaches used to spew. I know when to take care of business and when to avoid stupid situations.

Hope this helps.

through combat you will learn to control ur anger and not bottle it

First off, make sure you're not confusing the "zone" with losing control. Anyone who's fought seriously knows this place of mental peace. Pain being reduced, faster responses, etc. Basically an adrenaline dump. As long as you can keep you head in such a situation, you'll be fine. How? Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and more Practice.

As long as you stay out of control of your actions, you'll never be at your best. I'm sure you know this, but I have a reason for bringing it up.

Your no mind/blank mindset seems more survival based and not retaliatory. That said, the auto-pilot reaction is a great way to get stomped and put out even faster than keeping your cool and being in control of the situation. A human's natural weapon is his mind. Going on auto in a situation like this is akin to fighting with a stick in a fire fight.

This "nobody can hurt me", "I don't feel pain", "eliminate the enemy" talk makes me wonder if you've ever been humbled. I mean put in positions where no matter what you did, you were outclassed. When this happens, you'll realize your best bet isn't going feral, but doing the exact opposite and controlling the situation.

Also, realize what your doing at the moment. You're not in a survival situation. Street-fighting requires a completely different mindset. MMA != Street-fighting. You should be either sparring or competing. Not trying to off someone. That said, there is no need for such a reaction at anytime. If your getting tooled, either suck it up or walk away and train with someone else who's willing to train, instead of stroking their ego.

Personally, I think aggression is over-rated. I perform better calm and collected, not "angry" like my old football coaches used to spew. I know when to take care of business and when to avoid stupid situations.

Hope this helps.

Yeah it helps and I appreciate it.

I am pretty sure I've never been in the "zone" and in control at the same time. I know that there is a certain point I can go to without loosing control but I dont know how to get in the zone without becoming very aggressive and potentially loosing control. Its a result of past experiences and you're right it is a survival based reaction.

Thanks for helping me to see it from another perspective.

Yea, I think you should definately go find someone to discuss these feelings with (aka shrink) so that you can understand yourself better/ deal with it better.

No, you DO NOT allow yourself to "snap" sparring. Losing control is NOT a desired trait in a fighter. If you do it, you will get your ass kicked out of every gym. It is NOT personal. Your idiot friend will get his in sparring. Guys who spar like assholes get treated like assholes by better fighters eventually. This sounds like it has very little to do with HIM and everything to do with YOU. NO, you should NOT want to have control over your demon and let him out sometimes. Your "demon" you are talking about IS your enemy. There is nothing good about that feeling that you claim feels good. What REALLY feels good is knowing you have the ability to defend yourself and complete control of who you are and what you're doing. I'm sorry to hear that you have been in situations of life or death, that is tough and it's good you made it through, but that is the past. Require more from yourself... and if you can't get a grip than consider leaving the gym until you do. It's funny how all kinds of crazy inner stuff surfaces in the ring... lol

Hope this helps.

very nice.

TS get a book or two on sports psychology to learn about focus and switching on and most importantly how to controll it.

Whatever you do don't "snap" on a sparring partner, if you must then make sure you do it against someone who's good enough to give you a good kicking.

If reading/ studying sports psychology doesn't help and you're worried about controlling this the you should probably seek professional help.

Good luck with the training, hope you find the answer to your question

Thank you gentlemen.

Are there any books you would recommend?

Yeah it helps and I appreciate it.

I am pretty sure I've never been in the "zone" and in control at the same time. I know that there is a certain point I can go to without loosing control but I dont know how to get in the zone without becoming very aggressive and potentially loosing control. Its a result of past experiences and you're right it is a survival based reaction.

Thanks for helping me to see it from another perspective.

learn to control your adrenal dump first of all.. and then maybe smoke a joint or two.

thats all i can say.

I think you should become a superhero and use your super-rage to defeat villains.

Yea, I think you should definately go find someone to discuss these feelings with (aka shrink) so that you can understand yourself better/ deal with it better.

No, you DO NOT allow yourself to "snap" sparring. Losing control is NOT a desired trait in a fighter. If you do it, you will get your ass kicked out of every gym. It is NOT personal. Your idiot friend will get his in sparring. Guys who spar like assholes get treated like assholes by better fighters eventually. This sounds like it has very little to do with HIM and everything to do with YOU. NO, you should NOT want to have control over your demon and let him out sometimes. Your "demon" you are talking about IS your enemy. There is nothing good about that feeling that you claim feels good. What REALLY feels good is knowing you have the ability to defend yourself and complete control of who you are and what you're doing. I'm sorry to hear that you have been in situations of life or death, that is tough and it's good you made it through, but that is the past. Require more from yourself... and if you can't get a grip than consider leaving the gym until you do. It's funny how all kinds of crazy inner stuff surfaces in the ring... lol

capitalizing RANDOM words makes YOUR post really EFFECTIVE.

MMA is a sport. Once you start fighting with your emotions and not your head, you lose your gameplan. You can either stand with a guy and think,"Ohh, I'm gonna knock his face off", or you can take the winning approach and think to yourself, "Ok, he's throwing the same combo's and leaving himself open for a hook after the third punch". Now which sounds like the better strategy?

capitalizing RANDOM words makes YOUR post really EFFECTIVE.
Almost as effective as YOUR childish advice.

No bother... it's little things like your signature that help me seperate the boys from the men.

Seek proffesional help , go see a psychologist and a psychiatryst . Consult your life , and see what you might be doing wrong in it .

No offense , but its guys like you that are likely to go "pop" one day and do something they would never do consciously .

I would not say you are necessarily agressive , but you are rather - emotionless - in certain situations . For example , when you are drunk / stoned , do you do agressive stuff ? Do you throw your friends around or something ? I think its less likely , but then again I dont know you well and cant judge it . If you do agressive stuff when drunk , then its a problem with agressivity , but I dont think it is - you dont seem to be the "agressive" guy , are you often anxious ? Have problems in school ? Bad behaviour ? Unpatient ? Are you more one of those above , than most people ?

My opinion - avoid the snap , but eventually one day you will not be able to avoid it . You need to learn how to go with it , keep your emotions , your state in the rage will be better , if your normal life will become nicer aswell , so that should be your goal right now .
Like I said though , from your description you dont seem to be the typical agressive guy , agressive guy , or the way I imagine him is a screaming guy , who has fear , but is brave , who has emotions of " Im gonna fucking kill you " , a person with passion who doesnt have control . You just look like you seem to loose your emotions sometimes .

But then again , you cant really solve this problem ... a little , you cant just be like ok Ill do this and that to avoid it . It can only be helped if you really spend lots of time on it and take it serious , but its not that serious for you to be taken that serious is it?

All I wrote is my opinion and Im not sure about it as Im not a psychologist or something , but the one thing Im sure about is that you should definitely seek some proffesional help , and try to be more wellbalanced .

Hope I help and sorry for the gramatical mistakes , as I always say english is not my first languge .

In my experience, allow as much of your anger/hate/survival instinct (whatever u wanna call it) as you can control and focus when you spar.

In the cage it's good to go primal, unless you get to the point where you'll deck the ref when he tries to pull you off the other guy. That's not so good, lol.

To clarify some things.

I control myself while sparring. This recent sparring event was nothing more than a reminder that I can loose control if I dont back off when I start getting hot headed.

Ive wondered lately if I am limiting my game by not learning to let my anger/aggression out while "keeping my head". Something I can not do at this time.

Life has thrown some tough shit my way and I learned to be tougher than the shit. As a recourse I learned somethings about what "evil" lies well hidden beneath the skin. I am not proud of it but I know it is there and honestly dont want to go there.

Back