TaRhEeL!

White Belt
Reaction score
If a guy wanted to fight, at the age of 33, like myself do you guys think I am too old to train and fight. I know I am not going to go to the top (no smartass comments needed) but I want to do it. I want to have the feeling of being in the cage and trying this. I can fight but it is a different world in MMA and I know that. I want to train and do it.

Do you guys think I am too old or can I do it and be successful at it with in reason?

Tony

If you want it bad enough, you will be able to do it.

I think you need to be very aware of your goal and train accordingly. Are you simply looking to compete in small local shows in your area, or are you truly looking to eventually get to big showcase promotions?

How much martial arts knowledge do you have? This will be a great determining factor. If you have been training for years in at least one dicipline then you will find it much harder. Are you vaguely in shape now? I am 28 and have been training since I was about 9 on and off. I too want to go into competition but want to make sure my cardio is awesome before i try. If you have had no training then it will take a good couple of years until you are proficient enough to even last a fight. That said no it is not too old but as you have realised you will be very unlikely to achieve great success. Many people do enter competition at your age and later but the thing to bear in mind is you run a much higher risk of seriously injuring yourself without proper preparation the older you get. After 25 the injuries mount up hell of a lot faster.

Read bubble boys training log, he's older than you and looking for i think he's first AM fight

I'm 51 and have been training in MMA for the last 4 months. I was training MMA type training before that for about a year. But I have been training since childhood in traditional arts so the transition was pretty easy as far as being used to training. Ironing out bad habits and such was more work but I pick up fast. This week I upped my training and I actually feel very good today so my recovery has improved. But I have questions at times....as you do.
See my thread here:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f14/conditioning-training-fighting-age-788983/

But can it be done? Sure why not. I'm doing it and I'm doing well. I fight in the gym but haven't had a real bout yet (amateur). But I'm not ruling it out.

Good luck

I dont think you're too old. I would say to have your first goal to be a competent hobbyist. This actually takes more time than you would think. In that time, youll find out if you even enjoy the training as much as you think you will.

I am 47 and train 6 - 7 days a week. I have competed in a couple local grappling tourneys for fun, but no amatuer MMA fights yet.

At my age it is not so much the conditioning, but the time it takes to recover from injuries so it is not likely that I will try an MMA bout

I do however fight at my club frequently on fight nights, etc., and do pretty well for my age.

33 does not seem too old to me if you put your mind to it and dedicate the time and effort it will take.

I train with a 42 yr old grandmother that just won her first ammy fight in March!

If she can do it, so can you. It all comes down to how bad to want it.

the good thing about the martial arts is that while conditoning and strength are important, technique trumps all. I've seen 75 year old judo masters ippon young brown/black belts with ease, b/c their sense of timing and misdirection is so superb that they can throw/sweep their opponents with minmal force needed. My BJJ instructor must be in his late 40s early 50s, but he's tapping 20 year olds left and right.

And you're only 33 so that's more than enough time. And let's be realistic, most of us here won't ever reach the top even us younglings, but that won't keep us from trying, eh?

im sure u will be able to find a fight, but to be succesful is a different story, cant tell without knowing way more details

...I would say to have your first goal to be a competent hobbyist. This actually takes more time than you would think...

TarHEel, this is the truth ^^^^^^^^.
I'm 42, and have an amateur mma fight scheduled for June 14th. I've been training seriously, but recreationally, for about 8 years.
Bottom line, the perfect description is competent hobbyist.
Age is not the only concern in and of itself.
Usually us older dudes have family concerns and commitments that don't allow for nearly enough training time.
We're usually settled into a career that also doesn't allow nearly enough training time.
In general, our schedules aren't nearly as flexible as the younger fellas.

But nothing will stop you from getting in the ring if you want to.
On June 14th I will wish that I could've trained more, but it was literally impossible to get any more training in than I have. That is totally age related. Still, I'll get in the ring and give it my all.

If you're willing to do that, you can fight.

So yeah, what I was trying to say is that you probably won't be able to train as much or like you should for a fight, but you should do it anyway. :)

Thanks guys! For the most part I have no specialized training. We have a great Club here in Mobile, Al. that has some great training and the scheduling that is perfect for me it is more in the evenings. I have no kids but do have a wife. SO the time commentment is not that much of a factor. The willing to do it is here!! I want to do it. Yeah I may get my ass whipped and I may whip someone ass, likely hood is I will prolly get my ass whooped, but I am willing to train and give it all I got to do it. As far as "in shape" I am in ok shape. My cardio can use some fine tuning but my strength is better. I do workout 5 days a week now. I will be going to the Club here and talk to the guy that runs and owns it. So I will keep you guys up to date on all that transpires!!

Thanks again!!!

Tony

Age is not the only concern in and of itself.
Usually us older dudes have family concerns and commitments that don't allow for nearly enough training time.
We're usually settled into a career that also doesn't allow nearly enough training time.
In general, our schedules aren't nearly as flexible as the younger fellas.

This is true and it is one of my biggest hurdles....time! Many family matters and a job that gets me up at 7:15 out the door at 9 am back home at 10:40pm in bed at 11:00 and start over the next day.

This is true and it is one of my biggest hurdles....time! Many family matters and a job that gets me up at 7:15 out the door at 9 am back home at 10:40pm in bed at 11:00 and start over the next day.

Grey_Steel, I meant to post my earlier post to the thread starter, not you. Gahhhh!!! My bad, sorry about that.

Thanks guys! For the most part I have no specialized training. We have a great Club here in Mobile, Al. that has some great training and the scheduling that is perfect for me it is more in the evenings. I have no kids but do have a wife. SO the time commentment is not that much of a factor. The willing to do it is here!! I want to do it. Yeah I may get my ass whipped and I may whip someone ass, likely hood is I will prolly get my ass whooped, but I am willing to train and give it all I got to do it. As far as "in shape" I am in ok shape. My cardio can use some fine tuning but my strength is better. I do workout 5 days a week now. I will be going to the Club here and talk to the guy that runs and owns it. So I will keep you guys up to date on all that transpires!!

Thanks again!!!

Tony

You're in Mobile, Alabama? I spent my summers down there when I was a kid. My Mom was born there. Actually Theodore, but close enough.

Up until post #14 I had perfect vision. I believe I'm now blind.

At 34 years old, I'm in better shape than most guys at 18. I haven't fought in a sanctioned fight, but age isn't the issue that's stopping me. I'll echo what others say: if you really want it, go for it. IMO, guys over 30 have a stronger mental edge, anyways.

You can do it at the amateur level...

You would be asking too much to be the next Randy or Chuck.

whatever you tell your mind, your body will follow.

si se puede!

Back